Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hardest part of mimicing your style

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    use the strong part of your style, and not to use the weak part of your style, or borrow skill from other styles.

"Cross training" guys don't talk about "flavour" for that reason.
    Quoted for truth.

I've participated in a whole lot of styles over the years, some I've stuck at for five minutes, others for years, but the school that became my home school, the school whose founder I still call Sifu, is the one that encouraged cross-training, alive resistance, and playing outside of "style" comfort zones in order to improve.

Take what works. Discard the rest. Kill the buddha on the road.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Or do you mean, look like the style because they blitz in with rapid fire combos, control while attacking, change from high/low and left/right, and finish with a takedown or power move?
    yes -N- exactly
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Did ED mean mimicking the animal, or mimicking the appearance of the system, or expecting the sparring to look exactly like the forms?

Praying Mantis doesn't mimic animal movements for the sake of their appearance. That's not what makes it Praying Mantis.

Regarding the slap fighting... one of the biggest contributors I've seen to that is when students have a weak spirit and spar in a flinchy way.

Train them to have the spirit of dominating their opponent. Then they will commit and their movements will be executed with the characteristic principles of the system.
    No I said what I said after I read the comment right before mine. It made me think of the stuff I was speaking against.

I'm pretty sure ED meant fighting looking the way it does in training.

correct syn
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Or do you mean, look like the style because they blitz in with rapid fire combos, control while attacking, change from high/low and left/right, and finish with a takedown or power move?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    yes -N- exactly
    Ok, got it.

What works for me is to train their spirit and attitude. Weak spirit holds back everything else.

Like I was saying before, start them with a single technique. Force them to use only that technique under every possible situation. You can do different training methods.

- Two partners doing same technique and nothing else.
    - One partner doing only that technique, and the other doing only a single different technique.
    - One partner doing only that technique, and the other can do anything.

Put them under pressure, so that they have to live or die by that technique. Abuse them psychologically if you have to and break them down. Make them drop dead tired and unable to think of anything else except for nailing that technique. Give them minimal positive reinforcement when they succeed and send them right back in for more. Make them do the "3 second death match" drill where they have to take out the other guy before you can count to 3.

After they live and breathe that technique for a few weeks and can use it instantaneously with full speed and killer intent, start over with a different single technique.

Keep doing this until they have a handful of singles.

Then give them a specific combination to use from those singles and repeat the drilling/sparring process. Then another combination, and another. 2 moves, then 3 moves, etc.

Make them spar and allow only the techniques you showed them. The singles and the combinations. Anything else is automatic loss.

After a while, allow only the combinations. Anything else loses.

After a few months of that, add takedowns. The only thing that scores is a takedown after a combination. Anything else loses.

If you are up to it, use psychological negative reinforcement. Negative reinforcement has the higher potential of achieving peak individual results, but has high attrition rate. Otherwise, just use positive reinforcement. That gives you ok overall group results.

I don't think I look how I train solo. But I'm pretty sure I look how I do when I free spar and/or roll. Nothing super pretty. I try to stay economic and clean as I can. But you know how it is. Getting knocked around has a way of making you look unpretty Nothing like an off balance strike. I guess I look the way I look with the bag, minus the getting hit back part. I guess it depends who you ask as to whether it's pretty or not. But I'm pretty sure when I'm in control I look relatively close to how I do in training. Not counting my CMA forms. But then I don't even try to look like that. I break down the principles. You will see it tho. In the steps, in the hands, in the bridges. But you will also see MT and alot of grappling too. I would not be the specimen you use to show the purity in one specific style. Lots of my combat experience predated my training too, so I'm sure that plays into it too. And wrestling was printed on me in jr high, but it was pretty easy for me to transition to a broader grappling style. I would like to try Judo, seriously. SJ sounds pretty fun too. I think I would fit in pretty well. I'm not the biggest guy, so I can always train with people stronger than me, which helps alot. Getting tossed around by high level grapplers bigger than you is by far the funnest and most frustrating part of any training I have done, lol. Awesome when you pull a win out your ass with a guy who outweighs you by 40 pounds tho. Not something that happens very often in pure grappling in class tho.

When the "masters" have trouble mimicking their styles, it's hard for the students to be able to do it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KQefb7UnU

-N-
    great advice, I tend to rush my students along, partly because it comes second nature so I tend to move a little fast for some, also to keep the classes interesting and not too monotonous for the faster learners.

Perhaps the lack or drilling it into thier heads as well a muscle memory is part of my situation. I am going to do as you suggested tonight and see if it indeed has a a more positive outcomes

syn
    I don't think I look how I train solo. But I'm pretty sure I look how I do when I free spar and/or roll. Nothing super pretty. I try to stay economic and clean as I can. But you know how it is. Getting knocked around has a way of making you look unpretty Nothing like an off balance strike
    this is what I am experiencing I see them but they dont see themselves, going to record it as well so thy can see
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Ok, got it.

What works for me is to train their spirit and attitude. Weak spirit holds back everything else.
    How do you train spirit? Those with strong spirit will embrace this style of training, those with weak spirit avoid it, make excuses and tend to drift away.

How do you make a weak spirit strong?

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    When the "masters" have trouble mimicking their styles, it's hard for the students to be able to do it:
    The issue is when you spent the majority of your tike "sparring" against each other, it doesn't translate all that well when you fight a system that presents you with a different "face"/ "puzzle".
    This is even more crucial in "specialty systems".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The issue is when you spent the majority of your tike "sparring" against each other, it doesn't translate all that well when you fight a system that presents you with a different "face"/ "puzzle".
    This is even more crucial in "specialty systems".
    I think the only "puzzle" they were presented with was "fighting for real". it's obvious that contact fighting was not something they were used to. Don't get me wrong, I'm a traditionalist, but I also believe that sparring/fighting should be part of your training from nearly day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post
    I think the only "puzzle" they were presented with was "fighting for real". it's obvious that contact fighting was not something they were used to. Don't get me wrong, I'm a traditionalist, but I also believe that sparring/fighting should be part of your training from nearly day 1.
    If you are a traditionalist then you HAVE to agree that sparring and fighting are there from day one because that is what they did.

I recall asking a high ranking Goju sensei from Okinawa why, as the story goes, they did only sanchin for the first year or even the first few years and he said it was because they were more focused on sparring and drills and conditioning and that sanchin complimented them perfectly.
    The other forms came AFTER fighting.
    I asked another high ranking goju master and he said the same thing.
    They both had different teachers bit both teachers were first generation under Miyagi.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

lol I was just making sure no one thought I was just an MMA bunghole bashing traditional arts for not fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post

How does you/ your school. and teachers train adn spar fights while still having the flavor of your style?
    Here are a few things I've been doing that have been working for me so far:

-Tool Sparring, or basically softer contact sparring: For me and one of my friends I train with, this enabled us to gradually increase the intensity of our sparring at a slow pace (great way to begin cross training with someone you dont know well yet btw). That way, when we started off sparring, we were able to focus more on technique and footwork with less worry about pain or being hit. Then, when we felt more comfortable with our methods, we increased the intensity. Also, it's nice because there can be various "intensities" in a single round (preferably 3 or 5 min). As in, you can keep striking intensity semi light while still keeping a higher intensity in regards to grappling/sweeps/takedowns/etc.

-Shadowboxing using just _insert system(s)/style(s)/etc_ here, or what i personally call "Shadow Fu." In addition to padwork, I got a lot of benefit from shadowboxing using kung fu becuase it just helped me feel even more comfortable with the techniques and, for me, being the tense/rigid person that i am, it really helped because I could be more natural and less mechanical in application, if that makes sense. There was less thinking and more instinctive movement, imo at least.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    It looked like they were doing their styles, just did not work that good.

What styles were they?, one looked like CLF,