Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hardest part of mimicing your style

What might work better is to build the car before you try to drive it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I don't think I look how I train solo.
    To me, "style flavour" is certain "habit" that we have developed from partner training but not from solo training. The reason is simple. Without partner, timing, opportunity, and angle will have no meaning.

When I move in toward my opponent, I always bend my leading leg sideway a bit so my leg can run into my opponent's leading leg. That legs contact can make me to feel safe. At that moment I know where my opponent's leading leg is and I know the chance that he may kick me or knee me willl be low. I have old female friends that I haven't seen for a long time. When she ran toward me and tried to give me a hug, I ran my leg into her leg without even thinking. Sometime that caused surprise.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    It looked like they were doing their styles, just did not work that good.

What styles were they?, one looked like CLF,
    It names which styles: Tai Chi and White Crane.

-Tool Sparring, or basically softer contact sparring: For me and one of my friends I train with, this enabled us to gradually increase the intensity of our sparring at a slow pace (great way to begin cross training with someone you dont know well yet btw). That way, when we started off sparring, we were able to focus more on technique and footwork with less worry about pain or being hit. Then, when we felt more comfortable with our methods, we increased the intensity. Also, it's nice because there can be various "intensities" in a single round (preferably 3 or 5 min). As in, you can keep striking intensity semi light while still keeping a higher intensity in regards to grappling/sweeps/takedowns/etc.
    this is basically how I teach as well, its just when the ramp up to full contact the focus and fluidity leaves, so i was wondering form other teaches who this is avoid and retrained properly
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    You can always start your full contact by assign one person to attack and another to defend. The attaker can hit anyway he wants. The definder can only dodge, block, deflect, and clinch. It will be a good starting point for beginners.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The style can tighten up in frame or get bigger.

I think when styles tighten up and make the frame smaller, it is harder to see the subtle differences.

My style shows when I spar inasmuch as:

-kicks are low. (shovel/jam/side/tail)
    -Head is tucked. (shrugged)
    -Arms and hands are up.
    -weight is 60/40 in a high bow stance (looks like a typical boxing stance)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

is that from the cma style(s) you learn or is that because you have a boxers base?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can always start your full contact by assign one person to attack and another to defend. The attaker can hit anyway he wants. The definder can only dodge, block, deflect, and clinch. It will be a good starting point for beginners.
    Yes.

The attacker may attack at will with whatever.

The defender may only use one technique to defend or one technique to counter attack.

This way both students explore the utility and weakness of a said technique in full.

Then both students switch sides.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Those are drills, not the same as actually fighting.
    Drills are good to develop and work on specific PARTS of fighting.
    For fighting to be fighting it has to be as least predictable and restricted as possible.
    Most full contact systems do not (typically) start trainees by making them overly defensive or offensive, that is something that comes out naturally i n free style sparring and then is "developed" afterwards.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

is that from the cma style(s) you learn or is that because you have a boxers base?
    While I admit to boxing before kung fu study it's not really so much the case as a habit at play.

In the end, everything you've absorbed will effect you.

Having said that, fighting is going to look like fighting when it gets down to it. But I use the techniques as derived from the styles I have learned. A Chinese style punch in the face really isn't much different from a Canadian style punch in the face or an Armenian punch in the face.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Having said that, fighting is going to look like fighting when it gets down to it.
    EFFECTIVE fighting is going to look like EFFECTIVE fighting.

If one can't get his students to fight effectively using the "flavor" of the style, maybe the style simply isn't that effective.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    While I admit to boxing before kung fu study it's not really so much the case as a habit at play.

In the end, everything you've absorbed will effect you.

Having said that, fighting is going to look like fighting when it gets down to it. But I use the techniques as derived from the styles I have learned. A Chinese style punch in the face really isn't much different from a Canadian style punch in the face or an Armenian punch in the face.
    Yeah, but do you think you would have a boxers stance w/o that prior training? You know what I mean? You think you would have ended up like that if all you did was CMA?

I think I would have. But I was a bit of a fighter before I ever had any real training. So, you know, that has an effect. I know what I do and where it came from, but as an onlooker you may see the principles and recognize certain movements, but also you will see mishmash that may not be so obvious as to where I got it from. Like if you do Karate and MT and you train them both at the same time after a certain point, the techniques and principles merge and become something somewhat new.

So I guess you tuck your chin and use your shoulder? When you say hands up, what do you mean? In a boxers pose, or a modified boxers pose?

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post

If one can't get his students to fight effectively using the "flavor" of the style, maybe the style simply isn't that effective.
    Or maybe the flavour is getting in the way of the core principles that may or may not be effective.

Just coz a style isn't working doesn't mean it can't work. In bak mei I see the same form done by many others and they all have lil differences. Some sink and spit more than others, some extend more than others, etc etc... IMO how you use a style is more important than the style itself. Know what I mean by that? If you have a true understanding of the fundamental principles in any effective style, you can modify it to suit your needs.

Of course, some styles are more crap than not. Wing Chun comes to mind.

Yeah sure, there are some good ideas in WC, but there is also a tone of crap. I have a friend who was pretty good at WC from a WC perspective, he could never stop me from tossing him on his back. Also when he connected it never hurt, and he was much bigger than I am. But he was like top of his class, had won forms comps, kicks ass in stickyhands etc....

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post

It usually is not the style that is ineffective, its the person trying to do the style.

I see most styles as having lost the essence of what it takes to create the person that should be able to be effective and then he will be able to look like any style.

A style is like a guide to help you develop your effectiveness, not something that is effective.

A style is a tool, use it wrong and the results will be something else.

Of course, some styles are more crap than not. Wing Chun comes to mind.

A lot of Wing Chun is crap, but if you understood what it takes to build an effective person, WC is head and tails more scientific and efficient in its approach than most other styles. ( the key word is "Effective Person", )

What is the meaning of effective person, sounds like good topic for a new thread.
    Because I know my meaning is not the same as yours.