Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iron hand training

iron hand training

i am interested to hear different methods of iron hand training people on this board have done. i recently started training in iron hand and it is different from what i have seen before . very interesting ,but just different.

for example, my training began with a dynamic tension routine followed by a deep breathing exercise. next came holding a push up position on my fist while doing special breathing,then transferring all the weight on to one fist while the other is in the air vertically. then walking while in the fisted push up position in a crawl type of manner.

when i asked about using a bag he told me later when your hands get harder and that they use sand in the bad, there is one in his place it is really hard. and showed me a method of using some very thin rubber puzzle shaped mats to paste on the wall and strike. then learned two more dynamic tension arm training methods.

i had a small bag made from a previous teacher that didn't work out. this bag is much smaller then the usual iron hand bags i have seen. and has green beans and chinese medicine in it. when i showed my teacher he said it is ok to use for now and showed me some drills to do on it. when i asked him about using medicine on the hands. it is not necessary but can be used, and that qi will protect it. he also mentioned something very interesting. he said you can use hot water and salt,to rinse your hands after, and don't towel dry them. and also mentioned something about the medicine and having money for it. meaning in shaolin they might not have much money to construct bags with medicine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    i am interested to hear different methods of iron hand training people on this board have done. i recently started training in iron hand and it is different from what i have seen before . very interesting ,but just different.

for example, my training began with a dynamic tension routine followed by a deep breathing exercise. next came holding a push up position on my fist while doing special breathing,then transferring all the weight on to one fist while the other is in the air vertically. then walking while in the fisted push up position in a crawl type of manner.

when i asked about using a bag he told me later when your hands get harder and that they use sand in the bad, there is one in his place it is really hard. and showed me a method of using some very thin rubber puzzle shaped mats to paste on the wall and strike. then learned two more dynamic tension arm training methods.

i had a small bag made from a previous teacher that didn't work out. this bag is much smaller then the usual iron hand bags i have seen. and has green beans and chinese medicine in it. when i showed my teacher he said it is ok to use for now and showed me some drills to do on it. when i asked him about using medicine on the hands. it is not necessary but can be used, and that qi will protect it. he also mentioned something very interesting. he said you can use hot water and salt,to rinse your hands after, and don't towel dry them. and also mentioned something about the medicine and having money for it. meaning in shaolin they might not have much money to construct bags with medicine in them.
    Ask your teacher how many years he's been practicing this method and if he has any injuries or other deficiencies in his hands.

he lived in shaolin from 12 to 19 years old. his hands look normal to me and his shaolin brother broke a stone in front of my face, and he is about 5 foot 4 and 100 pounds here is the photo

My iron palm training started with smacking sand bags for 20-30min at a time. Then we moved to "grasping" for finger strength and to get the joints moving again. From sand bags we would lay a heavy leather punching bag on the ground and work with it then finally we graduated to bricks.

Just so you are aware, there is a trick to those single stone/brick breaks and you can see in the picture that the guy is starting to use it already. All you do is pull the stone up at the last second to create a sharper angle of impact and a space below for the force to disperse to.

he is re enacingt the break here, for the photo,cause we didnt have enough energy on the phone to fim it, he broke it before. and it didnt break on the first try, he slammed it ridiculously hard about 5 times before it broke.nothing fake about it.

I didn't mean "fake" i guess by "trick" i meant "technique". It's not all about how hard you can hit it.

i hear you,but you got to see that **** to see believe it. if i would have hit that stone one time as hard as he hit it i would have to go straight to the hospital. no joke. not saying nobody seen this before. but i think it is crazy when seeing a little dude break a stone with a chop,crazy.

Does your teacher know you are using your "iron hand" to break tree braces?

that was before i trained with him actually, but he wouldn't care he is a cool guy.

I strike a bean bag for 15mins after the application of jow first, then do the warm up exercises then applying more jow. I strike palm, back hand (loose), chop, then fingers, then switch hands. You do beans for awhile, then switch up to gravel, then bbs or steel shot.

switch hands yes,but he showed me fist strike, back hand hammer fist and chop, no finger tips, i want to as him about that next class, i just learned the bag stuff two days ago,so new to it.also said 15 min each time

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I strike a bean bag for 15mins after the application of jow first, then do the warm up exercises then applying more jow. I strike palm, back hand (loose), chop, then fingers, then switch hands. You do beans for awhile, then switch up to gravel, then bbs or steel shot.
    do you do other exercise like describe before? hold push ups on fist position.then on one hand crawl on fist from this position.do standing qi gong and dynamic tension exercises?

Reverse arm circles 50 each arm, and finger flicks. Where you loosely flick your arms out to your side like your shaking water off it, and you switch arms between each swing 50 total there. After the bag hitting rub jow in and cool off by walking around for a few minutes. The finger strikes are like the tiger claw strike but not so much that you want to avoid hitting your fingernails on the bag but your pads on your fingers.

Also you should invest in some jow to avoid freakish club hands. How conditions your hands and helps them heal and really if you buy in bulk and make it yourself it's not too much vs the risk of not using it.

Do any of you use the cauldron anymore? Or is it all about sand bags and more modern gear?

Anyone start off slapping water?