Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "Crap" in Wing Chun?

You got to train with Roger Mayweather? Any stories?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That really isn't the case dude.
    Dundee, Steward, D'Amato, Rooney, none of them were pro champions and while Steward had an amazing Amateur record, he had to give up pro fighting because of family.
    Coaches must be fighters, yes, they must have had to fight yes, but champions?
    No.
    Roach would probably be the best choice for trainer and potential champ ( he never won but fought for the championship twice I think).
    Rooney also had a great pro career.
    Dundee never fought for example.
    Neither did D'amato.
    There's also Teddy Atlas.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Correct. Roach often led with his face in his own fighting days/ My neighbor and friend Louis Burke beat him twice. There is that awful video of Roach's head bobbing around taking hit after hit in one of his last fights- contributing to his disability.Probably a good person. But his training skills came from his apprenticeship with Eddie Futch who was a great trainer and a great amateur who developed a hurt murmur preventing progress in his own fighting career.

Roach's great achievement was in developing south paw Pacquiao's right hook. His teaching of defense is a little questionable given Amir Khan's problems and Pacquiao's total knockout by Marquez.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    You got to train with Roger Mayweather? Any stories?
    He’d actually helped me get ready for my first professional fight at 8 Street Boxing Gym on 8-mile in Detroit while he was still a champion, and he introduced me to this guy (Bernard “Superbad” Mays) before I became one of his sparring partners for three years straight; who actually beat ‘Michael Spinks’ for his title.

I love Roger like a bother he really watched over me in my earlier days (in boxing). He has a heart of gold and that’s for real. And plus he was in love with my mother’s sister.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-05-2013 at 09:54 AM.

If anyone thinks that they’re going to get in a boxing ring and beat their championship trainer in a sparring match as a “student” of the game; is out of their mind. And that proves that they know nothing of the fighting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    He’d actually helped me get ready for my first professional fight at 8 Street Boxing Gym on 8-mile in Detroit while he was still a champion, and he introduced me to this guy (Bernard “Superbad” Mays) before I became one of his sparring partners for three years straight; who actually beat ‘Michael Spinks’ for his title.

I love Roger like a bother he really watched over me in my earlier days (in boxing). He has a heart of gold and that’s for real. And plus he was in love with my mother’s sister.
    Great stuff. Roger is really at the top of the food chain trainer wise with what he has done helping Floyd develop arguably the best boxing skills on the planet alltime.

If anyone thinks that they’re going to get in a boxing ring and beat their championship trainer in a sparring match as a “student” of the game; is out of their mind. And that proves that they know nothing of the fighting game.
    Not at all. I work with an 8-3-1 light heavyweight pro and ANY of his pros regardless of weight class are a lot to handle even trying to hang in and survive. They are just pretty sharply honed - top conditioning, great timing and reflexes, great fundamentals. I just try to keep my place and make sure all the jump ropes are hung up neatly in a row

And I can take any of them down.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Great stuff. Roger is really at the top of the food chain trainer wise with what he has done helping Floyd develop arguably the best boxing skills on the planet alltime.
    Man, I thank you very much for your post, you’ve said something that no one else have ever said before about ‘Roger’, and he’s really a good person and should get more recognition and respect. Oh, the world we live in.

Thanks,

Man, I thank you very much for your post, you’ve said something that no one else have ever said before about ‘Roger’, and he’s really a good person and should get more recognition and respect. Oh, the world we live in.

Thanks,
    Just the truth. Freddie Roach gets all the hype but Roger is light years beyond him in reality IMO.

Any good roger m'wthr clips ?

Thumbs up Must See

The Mexican Assassin

For some reason people will never put up his victories by KOs only mostly his later years loses, but the last three rounds shows his skills very clearly. this is a very good fight.

The Kung fu guy may be good at his art...but not good at sparring...theres a difference...

basically his hands were down...He kept dropping his right which is why he kept eating punches...the one time he did intercept a jab its because he had his hands up....He had his hand down most of the time saying Give a me some knuckles to eat...

He also lacked any bridging or body movement. In most fighting styles you move the body out the way of hit or you utilize the arms to cut off the attack...But he basically was not good at doing either. Basically He hung in there for a while..But had his face to exposed...

The other kid seems like an Okay boxer...I like his movement and how slips the jab. Also I like how he adapts right away if he makes a mistake!

It’s not about taking on all comers but potential students, and if one is truly looking for wing chun training to fight with, he would only use the energy/force in which he feels safe with or will soon realize he has a real fight on his hands, and will put up a reasonable sparring match of respect or end up in ICU.

But if he comes there just to fight then he deserves everything he has coming for going there with a small challenge… Some of you guys have to be treated delicately when wrote to, because some will just jump into the far end of reasoning; when common sense should already be guiding you.

Any sifu who teaches “combat” should be able to control a situation of a respectful sparring match (with form) or he’s full of sh1t or respectfully and gracefully of age with proven skills. Other than that he has nothing to show you in the way of “combat”. And if he can’t bring on/pass down fast results of resolve and skill to a student then he is worthless

Here is a student of mines who at time only train for 8 mouths straight (boxing) a big 16 year old then, who never learned how to fight until he met yours truly, sparring someone 14 years older than himself and the guy he’s sparring with is a “Master” in his “combat/fighting” art of 15 years; you be the judge.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

The Mexican Assassin

For some reason people will never put up his victories by KOs only mostly his later years loses, but the last three rounds shows his skills very clearly. this is a very good fight.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Roger Mayweather was a good boxer and is a great trainer.Hid power punches particularly his right uppercut against Paz were powerful.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Roger Mayweather was a good boxer and is a great trainer.Hid power punches particularly his right uppercut against Paz were powerful.
    You got that right, and he was really good for that. I’d remember when I first met him; my father was like, “put the gloves on and show my boy a little something”. I was about 16 years old then and a big fan; I just couldn’t believe he was standing in my parent’s living room.

He laid the top of his forehead on my chest, and when I went to push him back then out of nowhere he hit me with that dam uppercut, made the back of my head dam near bounce off my shoulder blades, I remember hearing my mother scream after that shot, it must of looked real bad.

And by me being much bigger than him, I’d went for the clinch and he did it again, I’d seen stars that time. It was like he did chi sao on me or something. My father was very proud that I took a good shot from a champion and took it like a man.

I’m going to name a couple that I know and trained with personally and there’s many more as well, it’s a dam shame why these people are not recognized when they both have undefeated champions/fighters unlike the ones you’d mentioned; HUMMMMMM, I wonder why.

All of your dialogue is based off this sentence I’ve made:

Most good boxing trainers are past ‘Champions’ themselves and even in some cases legends. Did you notice the very first word I’d used (most); there are some very odd people here on this forum, as far as reasoning/common sense goes, unless something is driving them to act that way for no reason at all.

I only see two differences from the other names you’ve mentioned, genetic makeup and the fact that they were both champions.

Coach Lisa "Too Fierce" Cohen
    WIBA World Champion Boxing Coach Fitness Coach

Roger Mayweather
    He was the WBC super featherweight champion, IBO light welterweight champion, IBO welterweight champion and the IBA welterweight Champion.
    Yeah, you said MOST and that is just not correct.
    Some great coaches were champs, some fought at the elite levels and some were journey men and some never fought in the pro ranks.
    All that means is that to be a great coach you must KNOW the game.
    HOW you know the game is NOT set in stone.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !