Thread: TCMA strategies

Blog Entries

TCMA strategies

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    What I find missing and not often taught in TMCA is strategy, which to me is why most TMCA practitioners don't seemed to have the flavor for their chosen system.
    Here are some TCMA strategies to share.

1. Pull before you push, and push before you pull.
    2. Force your opponent to move to your right. If he resists, attack his right leg. If he yields, attack his left leg.
    3. Attack both of your opponent's legs if you can, otherwise, attack the one that is closer to you first, you then attack the other one afterward.
    4. After you have obtained both of your opponent's legs, since he has no legs left, he will fall.
    5. 1 is better than 1,2. 1,2 is better than 1,2 3. "Speed" is when you can combine many moves into a single move.
    6. Hide the initial part of your next move at the end of your previous move.
    7. Use the strong part of your body to fight against the weak part of your opponent's body.
    8. If your opponent wants to bend, help him to bend more. If your opponent wants to straight, help him to straight more.
    9. If your opponent wants to raise up, help him to raise up more. If your opponent wants to sink down, help him to sink down more.
    10. If your opponent wants to stand in wide stance, help him to stand much wider. If your opponent wants to stand in narrow stance, help him to stand much narrower.
    11. If you want to attack your opponent's left, you attack his right first.
    12. If you want to punch your opponent, you kick him first.
    13. In your initial 3 attacks, give everything that you have. After your opponent has a taste about your power, if you just move your finger, your opponent will scare to death.
    14. If you attack one direction and your opponent resists, you attack the opposite direction.
    15. If you attack one direstion and your opponent yields, you attack the same direction again.
    16. The less that you let your body to touch your opponent's body, the less that your opponent may detect your intention.
    17. The more that you let your body to touch your opponent's body, the more that you can detect your opponent's intention.
    18 Try to force a striker to play your grappling game. Try to force a grappler to play your striking game.
    19. It's better to use 60% of your power to hit your opponent than to use 100% of your power and miss it.
    20. Your body is like 3 springs, without training, each spring will be compressed and released individually. With training, all 3 springs will be compressed and released at the same time.

Please add your experience and extend this list, or you may point out which strategy is BS and will never work.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-30-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

let's start with the guard

One of the things my first teacher told us, is that while we may practice forms, in fighting we should be formless. He told us that our guard should ideally be held in way that tells your opponent you are NOT trained. What you sometime see is a TCMA practitioner holding a guard that looks like something out of a hong kong flick.

It should be common knowledge that your guard can be used to bait an opponent; to set them up for your preferred techniques.

1 Cover your weakness.

or never expose your weakness.

2 Use your strong point to meet the opponent.

outmaneuver, that is.

THE EIGHT CARDINAL POINT THEORY FOR FIGHTING
    1. Continuous movement with each technique giving birth to the next.
    2. Close the enemy using the long hand then destroy the enemy at close range with the
    short hand.
    3. Attack high to open the low area and attack low to open the high area.
    4. When attacking left defend the right, when attacking right defend the left.
    5. Attack and defend simultaneously since all actions are neither exclusively offensive
    nor defensive.
    6. Actions must be natural and reflexive, don’t think act.
    7. Stay relaxed and change the stepping pattern.
    8. In action there is stillness, in stillness there is action.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

The Jab or Lead Hand

There are many examples on youtube by kung fu practitioners showing how they would deal with a lead hand. However, most of those examples require the opponent to throw a committed attack.

The lead hand is often a jab. The jab is often time a quick probing or feinting attack used to set up the power hand. Because many kung fu practitioners overlook this, their approach to dealing with the jab is at times unrealistic.

Furthermore, it seems some practitioners ignore their footwork. As someone on this forum said recently, they seemed to be enamored with the hand techniques. My FMA instructor told me to rely on footwork as your first line of defense. Sometimes the hands are just there to 'cover'.

This brings us to the "live gate/dead gate" concept where you use your footwork to position yourself in such a way where you can attack your opponent while making it difficult or awkward for him to attack you.
    Last edited by Bernard; 01-30-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: none

From Muay Thai - When the opponent punches, kick. When they kick, punch.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Blog Entries
    It should be common knowledge that your guard can be used to bait an opponent; to set them up for your preferred techniques.
    This just remind me the strategy:

- Drop guard to bait punches. Raise guard to bait kicks.

rely on footwork as your first line of defense.
    This also remind me the following strategies:

- Your block is like to raise the curtain, you then walk underneath it.
    - Your body should move out of your opponent's striking path. Whether you can block his punch or not, it won't matter that much.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-30-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

- Your body should move out of your opponent's striking path. Whether you can block his punch or not, it won't matter that much.
    Yes it won't matter much. That's why you don't chase hands in blocking like how you hear some people are guilty of doing.

I once sparred with a friend who I noticed liked to hook off the jab. I covered with a typical kung fu inner forearm block to bait him into hooking, and when he went for the hook, I covered with the same arm becoming an outer forearm while simultaneously countering with a forearm shot to the side of his neck (since we were just sparring, it was more of a push), followed by a downward chop to same area. OR sometimes I'll just palm the face to obscure his vision while I sweep his lead leg. I think this is called leg seizing in shuaijiao....

What I find missing and not often taught in TMCA is strategy, which to me is why most TMCA practitioners don't seemed to have the flavor for their chosen system.
    Maybe from low skilled or unqualified teachers, but should not be the case for decent authentic system/lineage.

Here are some of mine...

Never fight your opponents fight.

Use long range to counter short range and visa versa.

I'm more of an in-fighter so I tend to favor a straight line blitz off of 45 degree angles after making a bridge. Use angles and long range techniques to counter this type of fighter or take them down to the ground and break something.

If you get taken down and you aren't a good grappler then take an eyeball or two. They are high in protein so enjoy the gift! Just kidding, please don't eat your opponents eyeballs because you never know where they have been. Knives also work great against grapplers.

Always maintain control of your opponents center wether in grappling, throwing or striking.

Try to condition yourself to be able to take 3 strikes if necessary in order to give 3. I've noticed that many fighters tend to get lost or out of timing so to speak after 3 strikes. One reason is that the opponent has either moved out of range by themselves or one of the 3 strikes they received moved them out of range and therefore you have lost the bridge and the advantage. This is why chain punching is ineffective at best. Of course you can strike more than 3 times, I'm just saying I think you should reset and continue after each set of 3. This one is hard for me to explain but I hear and feel a musical like rhythm when fighting and so the resetting I am trying to explain is the ebb and flow between you and your opponent. Punch punch punch, reset(counter) punch punch punch, reset(counter)... if that makes any sense at all.

Most fights start with a lead right punch and go to the ground so get good at grappling and watch out for the right hand sucker punch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Use long range to counter short range and visa versa.
    Add this strategy as you have suggested.

Every good fighter should understand long, medium and short range techniques

I find the "haymaker" is very good to be used to against "chain punches". Do anybody share the same experience as I do? When your opponent punches at you, a "haymaker" can knock his striking arms out of his striking path.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2013 at 10:21 AM.

I find the "haymaker" is very good to be used to against "chain punches". Do anybody share the same experience as I do? When your opponent punches at you, a "haymaker" can knock his striking arms out of his striking path.
    This could work depending how the attacker executed the chain punch. I thought it was always safer to initiate the chain punch after the opponent was stunned, or if you in close.

Having said that, there are things you could do if someone tried to knock your arms out with a haymaker. Someone smart could roll the arm at the elbow and counterattack.

Here are some TCMA strategies to share.

1. Pull before you push, and push before you pull.
    2. Force your opponent to move to your right. If he resists, attack his right leg. If he yields, attack his left leg.
    3. Attack both of your opponent's legs if you can, otherwise, attack the one that is closer to you first, you then attack the other one afterward.
    4. After you have obtained both of your opponent's legs, since he has no legs left, he will fall.
    5. 1 is better than 1,2. 1,2 is better than 1,2 3. "Speed" is when you can combine many moves into a single move.
    6. Hide the initial part of your next move at the end of your previous move.
    7. Use the strong part of your body to fight against the weak part of your opponent's body.
    8. If your opponent wants to bend, help him to bend more. If your opponent wants to straight, help him to straight more.
    9. If your opponent wants to raise up, help him to raise up more. If your opponent wants to sink down, help him to sink down more.
    10. If your opponent wants to stand in wide stance, help him to stand much wider. If your opponent wants to stand in narrow stance, help him to stand much narrower.
    11. If you want to attack your opponent's left, you attack his right first.
    12. If you want to punch your opponent, you kick him first.
    13. In your initial 3 attacks, give everything that you have. After your opponent has a taste about your power, if you just move your finger, your opponent will scare to death.
    14. If you attack one direction and your opponent resists, you attack the opposite direction.
    15. If you attack one direstion and your opponent yields, you attack the same direction again.
    16. The less that you let your body to touch your opponent's body, the less that your opponent may detect your intention.
    17. The more that you let your body to touch your opponent's body, the more that you can detect your opponent's intention.
    18 Try to force a striker to play your grappling game. Try to force a grappler to play your striking game.
    19. It's better to use 60% of your power to hit your opponent than to use 100% of your power and miss it.
    20. Your body is like 3 springs, without training, each spring will be compressed and released individually. With training, all 3 springs will be compressed and released at the same time.

Please add your experience and extend this list, or you may point out which strategy is BS and will never work.
    Excellent Kungfucianism.

Wombat Combat™ door guarding techniques

the three poison hands

farmer pulls tail of nine oxen
    -invite mma guy to "show him qin na application"
    -tell him to relax
    -apply full force

"when he is soft i am hard, when he is hard i am soft. countering the 12 softs with the 8 hards, weak giving birth to strong."

chenxiang splitting the tai mountain
    -invite mma guy to "friendly game of push hands and exchange ideas"
    - tell him to relax
    - tense your entire body and use all your muscles to push him over

" when he is empty i grasp full, long range short range swallow and spit. thousand pounds crush four ounces, split the mountain to save the mother"

muslim points the way
    -invite mma guy to "friendly light sparring"
    -emphasize no punching to the face
    - punch his face

"when there is door remove the door, follow the finger of the muslim. if he retreats, yellow dragon stirrs the water."

if you would like to unlock the full power of the 7 poison hands ™, you can purchase the pdf for $49.99.
    Last edited by bawang; 02-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Thumbs up Funny stategy!

LOL! Ha!