Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
I don't know what sort of queef huffing you've been doing , but back in the 70's I seem to remember guys beating the living tar out of each other without gloves or with light gloves or kempo gloves etc. Mouthguards and cups and full on blasting away.

Point sparring was tournament ghey BS that got big in the way late 70's, 80's and 90's when the big influx happened and everyone was doing it...but without insurance. At this time, tough man competitions came out which were the early versions of nhb in North America.
I started Kenpo in 1970.

Sure, when people sparred each other in training, they went as hard as partners agreed to. And there was some decent contact. I didn't see full contact in the schools in the SF Bay Area.

There was a lot of point sparring at tournaments. And people would get disqualified for excessive contact.

I sparred a lot with a Praying Mantis guy who I later became classmates with. He wasn't allowed to show or teach me any of his kung fu, but if we sparred and I somehow picked up on what he was doing, that couldn't be helped, and he technically didn't break any rules.

He got disqualified at a tournament for excessive contact. He was just doing his kung fu the way he was taught.