Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
It's always a bit shocking to me when I encounter people who are completely baffled by this process.
I'm not really shocked at all. This is pretty much in line with the attitude towards everything. Out of sight, out of mind. Willfully ignorant. People don't want to think about the suicides at the human farms that produce their electronics, their 3-pack of plastic whatever from walmart, the lives ruined by governments working with corporations to secure mineral rights. People typically don't even think much about the homeless people they walk passed in the morning going to work. So why care about the food?

For the most part, for most people, they don't care about anything like that until it affects them personally on a time scale short enough that even a moron can see the negative change. With food, it's so slow and just the health part alone takes a long time to really become noticeable, and by then it's at the very least almost too late.

I think people are so used to things being done for them as far as the basics go, they don't even want to know because it will force them to take an honest personal inventory and ultimately lead them into having to admit they are wrong.

All that being said, considering how we live, there are some serious logistical problems with feeding everyone with fresh local food. Those of us who are lucky enough to be in an area that will grow food at all, have enough space to grow food and have the time to put into it should totally do so. But what about everyone else?

So here's a question for somebody more schooled than I am in these things... What would be the affects of the human population spreading out more and growing more food for themselves? If we all just spaced out as evenly as we could and went for it. Better for the ecosystem or worse? For arguments sake, let's pretend that everyone would know what they were doing and weren't greedy pricks. So ignore the selfish/moron factor. How doable is this? If it was possible, how much of this would rely on relatively recent technology?