Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Food Nastiness

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    kraft dinner has chemicals used in rocket fuel, we are not far off.
    Scary!!! I know that when I have eaten this craptastic dinner in the past it rockets right through me.

I wonder if it's the same stuff that powers this awesome drink...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

Quote Originally Posted by eltravose View Post
    Why use horse meat when there are sooo many cows? Doesn't make sense. I heard that McDonald's meat contains rat meat. Yuck
    Every "meat" that comes from a high-capacity processing plant contains a certain percentage of rat, bug, and feces as a result of processing itself. It's inevitable.

Buy from local buchers.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Buy from local buchers.
    I pretty much only buy from local sources, not just meat. EVERYTHING. Unless I have no choice, I mean, I would rather not starve. But typically, all local and seasonal. I don't give a fuck about tomatoes in the winter. That's what mason jars are for.

I dunno, I just don't need exotic fruit, we have great food that grows right here. And with indoor micro farming, I can grow almost anything I want in my living room window or my lil greenhouse. I'm a maker, I enjoyed making a weather controlled growing space that wasn't for high grade ganja for a change.

[QUOTE=GeneChing;1211490]This brings us back to Syn7's point:

Boiled cow heel or a pot of tripe?

No thank you sir! But I did like that sign. It was to many funnies!

MasterKiller and Syn7 are right on the money. Always buy locally if possible. Isn't eating locally and seasonally a very Taoist thing to do? That advice fits very well in these forums.

If we don't grow or raise it we have family or friends who do. I even have a local source for Bison which is supposed to be leaner than Venison but without the over abundance of vitamin A.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I pretty much only buy from local sources, not just meat. EVERYTHING. Unless I have no choice, I mean, I would rather not starve. But typically, all local and seasonal. I don't give a fuck about tomatoes in the winter. That's what mason jars are for.

I dunno, I just don't need exotic fruit, we have great food that grows right here. And with indoor micro farming, I can grow almost anything I want in my living room window or my lil greenhouse. I'm a maker, I enjoyed making a weather controlled growing space that wasn't for high grade ganja for a change.

I love the idea of indoor gardens. My wife and I did this a couple of years ago in our last house which had a pretty large basement. I set up a couple of large HID lights and everything and the produce was absolutely delicious but it just wasn't cost effective. It added about 40 bucks to the monthly electrical bill. Nothing beats sunshine so we have tossed around the idea now of creating a space in our new house using solar tubes which ought to work just fine for our needs. Of course we don't really need to do this with 16 acres at our disposal but it's just for the fun of it. This time instead of produce we are going to try to grow medicinal herbs like American Ginseng, Golden Seal...etc, as well as herbs for cooking with and possibly a couple of dwarf citrus and Texas fig trees.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    MasterKiller and Syn7 are right on the money. Always buy locally if possible. Isn't eating locally and seasonally a very Taoist thing to do? That advice fits very well in these forums.

If we don't grow or raise it we have family or friends who do. I even have a local source for Bison which is supposed to be leaner than Venison but without the over abundance of vitamin A.
    Also buffalo is low in fat and good much better than beef for you. http://voices.yahoo.com/buffalo-meat...ves-38515.html

I love the idea of indoor gardens. My wife and I did this a couple of years ago in our last house which had a pretty large basement. I set up a couple of large HID lights and everything and the produce was absolutely delicious but it just wasn't cost effective. It added about 40 bucks to the monthly electrical bill. Nothing beats sunshine so we have tossed around the idea now of creating a space in our new house using solar tubes which ought to work just fine for our needs. Of course we don't really need to do this with 16 acres at our disposal but it's just for the fun of it. This time instead of produce we are going to try to grow medicinal herbs like American Ginseng, Golden Seal...etc, as well as herbs for cooking with and possibly a couple of dwarf citrus and Texas fig trees.
    You should look into window farming if you wanna grow some smaller stuff like herbs or whatever.

I would love to have sixteen acres. The cheque the power company would send me every month would be great. The thing that makes solar and wind etc difficult is storage. Batteries are pretty inefficient and problematic and various ways. But if you are plugged into the grid, it's all good. Cheap to build if you do the labour yourself. The parts are pretty easy to get these days. Like if you buy solar panels that are already assembled, it's pretty expensive. But if you shop around and just get the parts you can't fab on your own, it's really cheap. Like for me all I need are the cells and I'll make my own panel and housing. The rest I can find easily at home or close to home. Conversions are easy enough and the parts are all common.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Also buffalo is low in fat and good much better than beef for you. http://voices.yahoo.com/buffalo-meat...ves-38515.html
    Not only that but they don't need to be fed a diet of antibiotics just to stay alive. My friend raises them and has invited me to learn how to butcher one when I'm ready for our next freezer full, and I get to keep the hide. He brain tans them in the old Choctaw way so this should be a great learning experience. Thanks for the link Raipizo!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    You should look into window farming if you wanna grow some smaller stuff like herbs or whatever.

I would love to have sixteen acres. The cheque the power company would send me every month would be great. The thing that makes solar and wind etc difficult is storage. Batteries are pretty inefficient and problematic and various ways. But if you are plugged into the grid, it's all good. Cheap to build if you do the labour yourself. The parts are pretty easy to get these days. Like if you buy solar panels that are already assembled, it's pretty expensive. But if you shop around and just get the parts you can't fab on your own, it's really cheap. Like for me all I need are the cells and I'll make my own panel and housing. The rest I can find easily at home or close to home. Conversions are easy enough and the parts are all common.

Oh yeah, we're planning garden windows galore so definitely going to go that route as well. Plus some catnip for the kitty cat.

I totally agree about the batteries. That's the weak point. I wish they'd get on the ball and develop something with a bit longer life and much cheaper.

Oh yeah, we're planning garden windows galore so definitely going to go that route as well. Plus some catnip for the kitty cat.

I totally agree about the batteries. That's the weak point. I wish they'd get on the ball and develop something with a bit longer life and much cheaper.
    Micro farming is pretty cool. Doesn't really take much, does it...

Batteries... there is a fundamental challenge that cannot be avoided unfortunately. But slowly they get a lil better. These days I power most of my small projects with LiPos.

But like I said before, if you're plugged in, not an issue. But maaaaaaaan, we waste so much energy it's insane. We need to put more into harnessing lost energy, most people try to make things more directly efficient. Whereas you have great thinkers using passing trains to power train crossings and stuff like that. Sorta like using the heat off the block to warm your car rather than actually heating an element.

Oh, and have fun keeping the cat out of the garden. If your cats are anything like mine are/were, they are already into pretty much everything you don't want them into
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-19-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Oh...Neigh...

Attachment 7300

From BK to Ikea

It's fascinating to see how widespread this has become.
    Ikea Withdraws Meatballs After Horse Meat Is Found
    By STEPHEN CASTLE
    Published: February 25, 2013

LONDON — The escalating crisis over horse meat in beef products in Europe claimed another big retail victim Monday when the Swedish furniture giant, Ikea, withdrew meatballs from sale in 14 European countries.

The retailer said it had removed some products from its stores in Sweden after the authorities in the Czech Republic detected horse meat in Ikea meatballs. The company said it had made the decision even though its own tests two weeks ago had not detected horse DNA.

Ikea also announced that it was stopping sales “of the concerned batch” of meatballs in Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, France, Britain, Portugal, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Greece, Cyprus and Ireland.

“We are now initiating further tests on the same production batch in which the Czech Republic authorities found indications of horse meat,” Ikea added in a statement. It said results were expected in the coming days.

“We do not tolerate any other ingredients than the ones stipulated in our recipes or specifications, secured through set standards, certifications and product analysis by accredited laboratories,” the statement said.

A traditional part of Swedish cuisine, meatballs are consumed in large quantities by customers in Ikea’s in-store cafeterias, and are also offered, frozen, for sale in Ikea’s in-store food shops for customers to take home.

The discovery came as European Union ministers were meeting in Brussels to discuss how to contain a crisis that began last month in Ireland, spread quickly to Britain, and has now expanded steadily across the Continent.

Around a dozen countries have now been affected, and the scandal has drawn attention to the problems of policing a complex supply chain for processed food in Europe.

The European Union introduced strict traceability laws for fresh beef after the outbreak of mad cow disease in the 1990’s. Similar controls are not in place for processed meat products.

While pressure for stricter rules is growing, some European nations worry that this could produce an unwieldy and impractical system.

In the meantime, European nations have stepped up DNA tests of meat products to determine their provenance, and these are producing more unwelcome discoveries every week.

Last week Nestlé, one of the best-known food companies in the world, said it was removing pasta meals from store shelves in Italy and Spain. Already most of the big supermarket chains in Britain have withdrawn products, including millions of hamburgers.

Last week, local authorities in Scotland were urged by a procurement agency not to use current stocks of frozen beef products, following the discovery of traces of horse DNA in a frozen burger taken from a Scottish school kitchen.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's fascinating to see how widespread this has become.
    I think if every ground meat product was tested, people would go nuts. I promise that there is all sorts of stuff you don't want in your meat. I guarantee that unless you test it yourself and/or know exactly where it comes from, you have eaten something you don't want to eat.

Add British Taco Bells to the scandal

I thought this horsemeat scandal would have died off by now but neigh, it still keeps on giving...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21631961