Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Food Nastiness

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    McD's has the answers:
    http://yourquestions.mcdonalds.ca/

example:
    HOw is it that your burgers don't rot?

Answer:
    Hi Laura. This is a great question. The short answer is that our burgers do rot under the right conditions, but we can see why there's some confusion out there. To clear things up, we reached out to one of Canada's foremost food scientists, Dr. Keith Warriner. He's the Program Director at the University of Guelph's Department of Food Science and Quality Assurance. Here’s what he had to say:

“There have been a lot of online videos and photos touting the fact that when left out for an extended period of time, a McDonald’s hamburger does not rot and that this is because they are laden with chemicals. The reality is that McDonald’s hamburgers, french fries and chicken are like all foods, and do rot if kept under certain conditions.

Essentially, the microbes that cause rotting are a lot like ourselves, in that they need water, nutrients, warmth and time to grow. If we take one or more of these elements away, then microbes cannot grow or spoil food.

In the example of a McDonald’s hamburger, the patty loses water in the form of steam during the cooking process. The bun, of course, is made out of bread. Toasting it reduces the amount of moisture. This means that after preparation, the hamburger is fairly dry. When left out open in the room, there is further water loss as the humidity within most buildings is around 40%. So in the absence of moisture or high humidity, the hamburger simply dries out, rather than rot.

With moisture loss, we take away an element required by microbes to grow and cause spoilage. So to spoil a McDonald’s hamburger, we simply need to prevent the moisture loss. This can be done through wrapping it in cling film to prevent moisture from escaping, or storing it within a high humidity environment, such as a bathroom (notice black mould on your bathroom windows but not in your bedroom). If you try doing the same experiment with a homemade burger with similar moisture content as a McDonald’s hamburger and under similar conditions, you’ll probably get the same results.”

We hope this answers your question, Laura.
    Yeah. Anyone with a half a brain and google and tear that apart. Spin, spin, spin and more spin. There are anti moisture factors that go beyond heating patties and buns. He gave described apples when we really wanna know about oranges. Notice how he said a homemade burger would do the same thing? Oh wait, that's not what he said! He said "If you try doing the same experiment with a homemade burger with similar moisture content as a McDonald’s hamburger and under similar conditions, you’ll probably get the same results." Notice how they never actually explain why a McDonalds burger has less moisture other than a few obvious suggestions that they never actually say are the only factors. This is a classic example of how science is abused in marketing.

Ahem, bullshit!

This brings to light, "the devils challenge".

also known as the tabasco / anus combo.
    Thankfully (though that's questionable), in my case, it was numero uno.

How the hell do you even issue a challenge like that? "Hey dude, I bet you don't have the STONES to smear Tabasco on your *******!"

I believe my response would be something along the lines of "We can't be friends anymore."

Good question

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    How the hell do you even issue a challenge like that?
    Ask Jamieson. He seems to have thought it up.

In his defense, I did a more targeted search and came up with this from that outstanding source of internet unreliability, urban dictionary:
    Devils Prostate Exam

sex move. Man covers hand in Tabasco sauce, and Fists someone, once hand is inside, he then makes devil horns.
    Girl: Ouch my boyfriend gave me the devils prostate exam last night
    Girl2: Ouch, is your ass okay?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Anyone into fisting deserves to get the horns!

"Ouch"? That seems a bit nonchalant for the circumstance, don't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    "Ouch"? That seems a bit nonchalant for the circumstance, don't ya think?
    Guess that depends on who you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I bet captain hair could shed light on the whole devils horns topic. I'm sure he would tell us the ancient Sumerian alien overlords invented it as a form of punishment for those who didn't mine enough gold and what not. Bwaaahahaha!!!

Thanks for that pic Lucas! I lol'd out loud even!!!

wait till the 'its aliens' storm comes around again. its kind of a running joke where we all go off the deep end and use variations of that picture to answer any and all things related to the universe.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Guess that depends on who you ask.
    I guess I have to broaden my horizons a bit, cuz I have met a lot of very freaky people (and I mean that respectfully.....for the most part), but I have yet to meet anyone who says "A Tabasco-dipped fist shoved up my rectum and then made pointy? Yes....yes I will have that..."

"...it's right up my alley."

I think it all comes back to DJ making up the Devil's Challenge...

...he prolly stole it from CLF.

Meanwhile, to get back OT...sort of...I wonder if this would cost more or less with horse meat. And can I get a side of detergent with that?
    A single 3D-printed burger currently costs over $300,000 to make
    Jan. 22, 2013 (3:00 pm) By: James Plafke

3D printing might be the wave of the future, or it might just end up a niche hobby that’s pretty cool but ultimately too expensive and complicated to ever take off. Whatever that fate may be, startup Modern Meadow is throwing its hat into the 3D printing ring, but rather than printing plastic trinkets or gun parts, it plans to print edible meat.

We’ve mentioned Modern Meadow – a company that is practicing a variant of 3D printing, called 3D bioprinting — before. Instead of using resin like standard 3D printing, or a material more easily sent through a printer for food-printing like melted chocolate that then hardens, Modern Meadow uses material somewhat creepily called “bioink”.

In order to print live cells, the engineers perform biopsies on animals and collect stem cells, or other special cells. Because stem cells are basically magical (this not a technical term), they can not only turn into other cells, but replicate themselves. Once they replicate enough times, the engineers load them into a bioprinter cartridge, which creates something of a bioink — a material made of many live cells. When the bioink is printed, the living cells link together and form living tissue.

Modern MeadowWhen using 3D bioprinting a hamburger as an example, Professor Gabor Forgacs — part of the father and son founders of Modern Meadow — notes that the actual shape of the food isn’t too much of a hurdle, as it’s simply a round, relatively 2D patty. Another benefit to producing edible meat is that the live tissue can die afterward, as consumable meat normally isn’t living tissue, so a method of preserving the tissue’s life isn’t really required.

Though it might be easier to print edible, dead-tissue meat, Modern Meadow is facing a couple fairly large hurdles. For one, convincing the world to eat lab-grown meat might not be so easy. Another significant hurdle is that though Modern Meadow hasn’t grown something like a burger or steak as of yet, the price of one would be astronomically high. Another team of researchers at Maastricht University in the Netherlands has been growing animal cells to produce strips of lean muscle, with the goal of creating an artificial hamburger. Though the team doesn’t use bioprinting, they do use a somewhat related process of having stem cells replicate and create live tissue in a mold. Unfortunately, creating an entire burger would currently cost over $300,000.

If this all seems a little nutty, Modern Meadow has managed to raise some backing from prominent figures, such as Peter Thiel, who was one of Facebook’s early investors. There’s no word yet on when the company will be able to print a burger (or even a slider!), but if it can, it will be interesting to see how much it’ll cost, and if people can be convinced that “synthetic” meat is truly edible.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

OMG, soylent green is seriously just around the corner. However, maybe 3d printing isn't as bad as it sounds and will one day lead to the famous Star Trek replicator. I just hope they, whoever they are don't rationalize that human stem cells are the answer. Long pork anybody? Yuck!

What's all this then?

To get back on topic (why do I bother? For the sport of it, of course!)

Horse Meat in Food Stirs Furor in British Isles
    By STEPHEN CASTLE and DOUGLAS DALBY
    Published: February 8, 2013

LONDON — Few things divide British eating habits from those of continental Europe as much as a distaste for consuming horse meat, so the news that many Britons may have unknowingly done so has prompted alarm among consumers and plunged the country’s food industry into crisis.

A trickle of discoveries of horse meat in burgers, first found in Ireland last month, has turned into a steady stream, culminating in the revelation this week that lasagna labeled beef from one big retailer of frozen food, Findus, was in some cases 100 percent horse meat.

With concern growing, the Food Standards Agency ordered retailers to test all processed food, and large notices have been displayed in British supermarkets seeking to calm worried customers. The scandal has raised new concerns about the standards applied by the meat processing industry, and fueled worries about what exactly has been going into cheaper burgers consumed in millions in British schools, hospitals and prisons.

Meat from horses is no more harmful than that from cattle, though there were some fears — as yet not substantiated by tests — that phenylbutazone, an equine drug, could find its way into the food chain.

But the labeling of horse meat as beef has breached one of the great culinary taboos of Britain, a country that prides itself on its love of certain animals, particularly horses.

The fact that the source of the meat appears to have been mainland Europe, where the consumption of horse meat is more common, has only increased the continental divide.

“It is completely unacceptable that a product which says it’s beef lasagna turns out to be mainly horse meat,” the environment secretary, Owen Paterson, said in a statement. “Consumers have a right to expect that food is exactly what it says on the label.”

He added, “The presence of unauthorized ingredients cannot be tolerated. This is especially true when those ingredients are likely to be unacceptable to consumers, or where there is any conceivable risk to human health.”

The latest episode came to light when Findus withdrew the beef lasagna products after Comigel, its French supplier, raised concerns about the type of meat used, while maintaining that food safety was not at risk. Some supermarkets have also removed products made by Comigel. Henrik Nyberg, a product manager for Findus, said Friday that about 20,000 frozen lasagna meals were being recalled in Sweden.

Earlier, Irish food inspectors revealed that some horse meat, which is cheaper than beef, had been found in some burgers stocked by a number of British supermarket chains, including Tesco, Iceland and Lidl. The meat was supplied by two plants in Ireland.

After millions of burgers were removed from supermarket shelves in Ireland and Britain, Poland was identified as the source of that horse meat.

The Irish agriculture minister, Simon Coveney, said he had instructed the police to join an inquiry conducted by his department’s special investigation unit after tests on Monday evening confirmed 75 percent equine DNA in a raw material ingredient at the Rangeland Foods processing plant in County Monaghan.

That was the fifth such instance at processing plants across Ireland over the last month. The latest discovery follows similar incidents last month in the Irish Republic and in Northern Ireland, where samples from other beef processing plants contained up to 80 percent horse DNA.

On Tuesday, the chief executive of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland, Alan Reilly, said fraud was behind the mislabeling of meat, which had been traced to Poland.

“We are no longer talking about trace amounts,” he told RTE, the national broadcaster. “We are talking about horse meat. Somebody, some place is drip-feeding horse meat into the burger manufacturing industry. We don’t know exactly where this is happening.”

A Grant Thornton report released last week before the announcement on Monday of the latest discovery expressed concern about the fallout from the horse meat fiasco.

“The recent issue with traces of imported horse DNA in beef burgers could translate into millions of euro lost for the industry,” it said.

Stephen Castle reported from London, and Douglas Dalby from Dublin.
    What is up with all the horsemeat? Can't you taste the difference?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Learning that horse meat may be present in processed meat products has "plunged their food industry into crisis.... Really?

"oh no, I can't eat mystery meat anymore cause apparently there could be things in there I may not like."

It's pretty sad how little people know about the foods they consume. And then there are the truly dumb who believe all the info they need is right there on that label. Laughable, I know.... But so many believe it. Sad.

Does any of this actually surprise anyone here? As far as I can see, this is just par for the course. And it won't get better until people wake up and make some demands.

I saw in the news here yesterday that the Polish horsemeat has also turned up in frozen lasagne from Findus in Sweden and the UK. My teenager chucks that stuff in the microwave.

Worse than the horsemeat are recent findings of the presence of animal painkillers and hormone supplements that aren't supposed to be in products for human consumption.

I guess that would make sense if the meat was from people's riding horses that weren't ever intended as food. This is verging on roadkill.

Gotta keep the burgers coming at lowest possible cost. No gap in the supply chain because then where would all the chain outlets be?
    Last edited by rett; 02-09-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    I saw in the news here yesterday that the Polish horsemeat has also turned up in frozen lasagne from Findus in Sweden and the UK. My teenager chucks that stuff in the microwave.

Worse than the horsemeat are recent findings of the presence of animal painkillers and hormone supplements that aren't supposed to be in products for human consumption.

I guess that would make sense if the meat was from people's riding horses that weren't ever intended as food. This is verging on roadkill.

Gotta keep the burgers coming at lowest possible cost. No gap in the supply chain because then where would all the chain outlets be?

Same story but we heard it was from romania. Also someone found a human tooth in a tesco sausage! Wonder if the rest of him was in their too.

Makes me dread to think all the things I ate in China over the years.....