Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Food Nastiness

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm sure it is a direct result of that rail of salt incurring brain damage.
    Nah, never did the salt thing. I manipulated others into it though. But it could be the cinnamon....!!!

Actually, I had over 80 stitches in my head before i was 10 and spread out over about 5 or six incidents. I lived at the edge of brave/stupid. I guess I'll never know if it slowed me down or not, but I feel like I'm ok. What I do know is that I have been lucky MANY times and have survived some close calls. I got to an age where the math started getting scary and I backed off a bit. I mean, I still have the urge to base jump, I just put a lil more thought into it now and do a proper risk assessment before I engage any risky activity. At the very least I employ harm reduction methods and a solid damage control plan.
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-11-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Syns right, if we were raising horses for food, like we do cattle, we wouldn't recognize them in 5 years. Look at the abominations we pass off as turkey and chicken.

Hey your in Canada, just go shoot some wild game, it's way better for you..

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Syns right, if we were raising horses for food, like we do cattle, we wouldn't recognize them in 5 years. Look at the abominations we pass off as turkey and chicken.

Hey your in Canada, just go shoot some wild game, it's way better for you..
    Too many rules. Better off to just go to a small local farm. For meat and veggies. I try to only buy whole foods. I make my own sauces and whatnot. S'all good. WAAAAY cheaper too. Gotta put in the time tho. Usually I will just bang off a bunch of stuff in one free day and preserve or freeze it and just add in the whole foods I get day to day. Boom, great healthy easy cheap meal. If I was in a more rural place I would mos def go get my own food. I would love to have a lil hobby farm when I retire. Maybe. I have some interesting ideas too. Ways to have me actually feed the power grid and have them pay me a monthly cheque. Ways to make my home efficient. One thing I really wanna do is built my house around a tropical green house and use pretty simple but cool ideas for geo heating/cooling. Stuff like that. Not that expensive either, and it pays for itself pretty quick. Gotta be on it tho. Can't just leave it unattended for long periods w/o proper preparations that are a lil more complicated than throwing your mains and locking the doors.

Between gas, time, permits and all the other crap that costs money that you need for hunting. The local small farm is ur best bet for price/quality.

You know what?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    it could be the cinnamon....!!!

Actually, I had over 80 stitches in my head before i was 10 and spread out over about 5 or six incidents.
    I'm guessing it wasn't the cinnamon. 80 head stitches before age 10....daaaaaaaaaaaaang. No wonder you fit in so well around here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm guessing it wasn't the cinnamon. 80 head stitches before age 10....daaaaaaaaaaaaang. No wonder you fit in so well around here.
    HEY!

I'm not crazy, I'm unique!

I never said 'crazy', Syn7

Perhaps you're projecting a little.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

One thing I really wanna do is built my house around a tropical green house and use pretty simple but cool ideas for geo heating/cooling.
    That's something I'm interested in too....I'd have to have a green house that could keep warm when I'm traveling though..that could be tough to pull off...

I lived off grid for a little while, I was setting up a cabin to have everything I need, but I can't get the wife to do it now.

The biggest problem, (besides her) is getting in and out in the winter. From late November to early April you got to use a snowmobile. I looked into getting a tracked Snow Cat, but those things are so expensive. Some dudes have done some awesome home made deals out of 4 wheel drive trucks, but I am a miserable failure as a mechanic.

I will always be a carnivore. If would bring down an animal with my bare hands, rip out its heart, and eat it as the hot blood flowed down the sides of my face.

To look an animal in the eyes as it dies, is to say to it "I am the face of god, and I have brought you death."
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I will always be a carnivore. If would bring down an animal with my bare hands, rip out its heart, and eat it as the hot blood flowed down the sides of my face.

To look an animal in the eyes as it dies, is to say to it "I am the face of god, and I have brought you death."
    You have issues, bro. Should prolly work on that shit.

You have issues, bro. Should prolly work on that shit.
    Shut up and eat your salad, sissy.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Hey everybody! Thanks for keeping this thread alive while I was traveling. It's been a very entertaining read and special thanks to Gene for keeping us on track. Very sporting of you sir!

Some of you may be interested to know that we are in the process of building up our little family farm and getting WAY off grid. In Texas we get paid for selling electricity back to the power company so as soon as the house is finished in a few weeks we will set up the greenhouses, passive solar for heating, vertical wind generators, buy goats and sheep and on and on.

We plan to use a combination of aquaponics in one greenhouse and traditional raised beds in another for growing and raising all of our food. I'll also set up outdoor raised beds and plant a bunch of fruiting and nut bearing trees.

The goats love all those greenbriar vines, poison ivy and all that crappy stuff that is a pain in the ass to clear. Sheep just taste great and mow the lawn for free. I'm not going to raise horses for meat though, not because I wouldn't eat one, they are just to darn big and eat way to much to deal with.

To Kellen... If you want to heat a greenhouse on the cheap you can line the edges on the ground with about a foot high and a foot wide of mulch and or compost which will give off heat. Heat rises and warms the entire greenhouse. Check out this guys greenhouse where he uses the above mentioned method for supplemental heating in Wisconsin. This dude is my aquaponic idol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qZPwBPAqks

To Drake... Man you are hardcore but I like it. I keep telling my hunting buddies that the next time I get a chance to go deer hunting I'm using one of the two knives pictured below to bag that sucker. I just think it's to easy to use a .308 from a billion miles away. Just once I'd like to get up close and personal. I think it's kind of a revenge thing also. When I was 12 I was knocked down and stomped on by a pretty large buck at Royal Gorge State Park in Colorado. Thanks to my pops I'm still alive but I still hold a grudge.
    Attachment 7284
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 02-11-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Sound like fun. I have so many ideas I would like to develop in that respect.

It's pretty hard to kill something like a deer with a knife. Maybe a throwing spear. Bow is easy, been there done that though. I want to do an endurance hunt. I'm not really into sitting in a stand or a blind. I mean, I would if I had to for the food, but I don't and it bores me. Running a trap line is pretty fun though.

Farming/homesteading is definitely a fun and very peaceful lifestyle. It's hard work but extremely rewarding.

In all seriousness I'm pretty sure I'd get mauled to death if I actually jumped on a deer with my knife, so thanks for bringing me back down to reality Syn. I'd totally be down with using a spear or maybe even an atlatl though.

To get back on track here... It seems that as many as 16 countries could be affected by the horse meat scandal. I'm pretty sure that horse meat is lean and good for you and all that, but I doubt these people are serving up the choice cuts.

http://www.thejournal.ie/horsemeat-s...e=twitter_self

Is there sirloin of horse?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I doubt these people are serving up the choice cuts.
    What would those be exactly?

GoldenBrain's linked article above alludes to this:
    Romania Produced 6,300 Tons of Horsemeat Last Year
    BUCHAREST, Romania February 12, 2013 (AP)

Romanian food safety officials say the country produced 6,300 tons of horse, mule and donkey meat last year, and that it was correctly labeled when it was exported to other European countries.

Amid a growing scandal over horsemeat mislabeled as beef in frozen processed food, the National Authority for Veterinary and Food Safety said Tuesday that some 97 percent of the meat slaughtered and processed at 35 authorized plants was sold to Bulgaria, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Poland, Germany, Belgium and Greece.

A complex web of meat wholesalers has made it increasingly difficult to trace the origins of food.

France says Romanian butchers and Dutch and Cypriot traders were part of a supply chain that resulted in horsemeat being labeled as beef.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips