Thread: Choctaw Stickball - "Little Brother of War"

Choctaw Stickball - "Little Brother of War"

I'm part Choctaw, Chickisaw and Cherokee along with my other heinz 57 mix of anglo bloods.

I have recently been introduced to some great individuals from the Oklahoma band of Chocktaws. As soon as they found out I study combat they asked me to share some techniques with them which might help them during the game.

As I stated in my intro thread I have never been into team sports so I'm a little bit at a loss as to what they should focus on. I can show them literally hundreds of techniques but I'm not sure that will serve them well since it takes years to develop said techniques.

I was hoping to get some feedback from those who play team sports as well as study martial arts. What techniques would y'all use?

The rules are pretty simple. You use two sticks to carry and throw the ball and a goal is when you hit a post at the end of the field with that ball. After that it's pretty much a free for all or kill the man with the ball type of thing. Most teams use both hands with the sticks but the Choctaws have developed a method of holding both sticks with one hand due to a little hook they carve into the stick. That gives them a free hand sometimes. That's about all I know so far so I hope everybody at least enjoys this short video montage of the game and I welcome any and all feedback. Thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NoDil-c0E

[QUOTE=GoldenBrain;1209219]I'm part Choctaw, Chickisaw and Cherokee along with my other heinz 57 mix of anglo bloods.

I have recently been introduced to some great individuals from the Oklahoma band of Chocktaws. As soon as they found out I study combat they asked me to share some techniques with them which might help them during the game.

----------------------------------------------------
    Late wife's family were all full Creeks. My younger son plays stick ball when he gets back to his stomp grounds. Creeks who play- many don't- develop plenty of skills without learning kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I'm part Choctaw, Chickisaw and Cherokee along with my other heinz 57 mix of anglo bloods.

As I stated in my intro thread I have never been into team sports so I'm a little bit at a loss as to what they should focus on. I can show them literally hundreds of techniques but I'm not sure that will serve them well since it takes years to develop said techniques.

I was hoping to get some feedback from those who play team sports as well as study martial arts. What techniques would y'all use?

The rules are pretty simple. You use two sticks to carry and throw the ball and a goal is when you hit a post at the end of the field with that ball. After that it's pretty much a free for all or kill the man with the ball type of thing. Most teams use both hands with the sticks but the Choctaws have developed a method of holding both sticks with one hand due to a little hook they carve into the stick. That gives them a free hand sometimes. That's about all I know so far so I hope everybody at least enjoys this short video montage of the game and I welcome any and all feedback. Thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NoDil-c0E
    I'd say first of all, learn why and how the grappling and takedowns have come to be an important part of this game.

Other than that, I don't see much in the realm of technique you could teach them. Seems like they'd be better off getting some coaching with someone more familiar with their type of sport.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1209261]
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post

----------------------------------------------------
    Late wife's family were all full Creeks. My younger son plays stick ball when he gets back to his stomp grounds. Creeks who play- many don't- develop plenty of skills without learning kung fu.
    I agree that they are plenty skilled. I think they really just want to pick up some extras that might help to give them an advantage on the field. Truth is, I can only think of a few things that might work that they aren't already doing. Tough fellas thats for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    I'd say first of all, learn why and how the grappling and takedowns have come to be an important part of this game.

Other than that, I don't see much in the realm of technique you could teach them. Seems like they'd be better off getting some coaching with someone more familiar with their type of sport.
    No doubt, you're right on the money there.

They're already very well coached IMHO. I don't think I'll be able to add much to their game but I was thinking shinning, body press arm locking and maybe some stick disarming with the punyo might help.

They are already great fighters so I'm just hoping to add a little something if possible which is why I opened this dialog.

Thanks for the contribution!