Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explain "teh realz" taekwondo to me

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    The Hapkido founder was a houseboy in the Takeda household (I believe) and he obviously picked up enough knowledge to found his own art, which is in line with "stealing knowledge' from the master (it is the modus operandi of all MA systems). Koreans were nort allowed, or seen to be the equal of Japanese at that time!
    This is a common myth.

Hapkido was created by two brothers who attended a Daito-ryu (aikijujutsu) seminar in Japan. They added the joint locking techniques to the korean/japanese kicking arts and hapkido was born.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Greetings,

I had very limited exposure to the Ji Do Kwan (Wisdom Way) style of Tae Kwon Do.

Though they had the Japanese kata, it was the fighting that ruled. And the students could fight. The flashy kicks now usually associated with Tae Kwon Do were not there. There were devastating power kicks and punches. It was no joke. And it did not look like Japanese Karate. The flavor was so different.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 02-11-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Question. Is it basically established as fact that TKD is a direct adaptation of Japanese Karate? If so, did the penchant for high kicking come from some Japanese line, or did this evolve in Korea? Was there any meaningful influences from older Korean arts?

Where does Hapkido come into play? I constantly see this art advertised at TKD schools. Is there a connection to Hapkido in the development of TKD, or is it usually just taught alongside TKD because it is another Korean art? Or is Hapkido really another repackaged Japanese art?

Are their any native Korean MA being taught nowadays? Does North Korea teach TKD to its' military? Is it likely some older arts may have been preserved in the north, due to its' isolation...or has the public completely abandoned MA because eating is more important?

Sorry, just got thinking about all this stuff. Korean MA seem to be pretty vague on history. I suspect no one here knows with any certainty what goes on in the north...but opinion and speculation is welcome.
    I was always told that politics in tsd caused a split. this created tsd and tkd. as you probably know there has always been bad blood between Japan and Korea. (i have a Korean friend who says, "God made the Japanese; then he realized he could do better, so he created Koreans") some guys wanted the art to be less associated with Japan and to look less Japanese - during the split, these guys created tkd. less hand focus, higher kicks, more leg emphasis, giving it a more Korean swag. I guess after that initial split, the tkd group split again, forming wtf and itf.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I had very limited exposure to the Ji Do Kwan (Wisdom Way) style of Tae Kwon Do.

Though they had the Japanese kata, it was the fighting that ruled. And the students could fight. The flashy kicks now usually associated with Tae Kwon Do were not there. There were devastating power kicks and punches. It was no joke. And it did not look like Japanese Karate. The flavor was so different.

mickey
    the founder of that style was a black belt in shotokan and taught it in Japan for years before creating ji do kwan. he trained a lot with a kung fu practitioner - seems odd that it didn't look Japanese at all, being that his style was Japanese, and he taught the Japanese style. perhaps out was changed more and more with each generation it was passed to?
    Last edited by SevenStar; 02-20-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter