Thread: Butterfly Swords

Hybrid View

Butterfly Swords

Quick question are these of Shaolin origin?

Southern styles seem to think so

It opens up a huge can of worms however, given the murkiness of the Southern Shaolin Temple. However, I recall another name for them - gai do - or punishment blades. I'm not sure of the Cantonese, but the term was allegedly in reference to the blades being used to punish sinners. I know, that's very colloquial, but such is Southern Shaolin research.

Excuse me for a moment - gotta plug these here. It's my job.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ah ok thanks for the info Gene.

I always thought they were connected with the whole Wing Chun thing.

But had never heard or seen for that matter these connected with Shaolin.

Big Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Ah ok thanks for the info Gene.

I always thought they were connected with the whole Wing Chun thing.

But had never heard or seen for that matter these connected with Shaolin.

Big Up!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

In Ip man wing chun the bot jam do is a little different from the common butterfly swords

butterfly swords are NOT related to SongShan Shaolin

the name Shaolin is used loosely. there are many southern schools that call themselves Shaolin (southern Shaolin), even many irrelevant schools of north China also call themselves Shaolin (northern Shaolin). though their history has had some relations from time to time with the Shaolin temple of Song mountain, but the systems are totally different, in almost all aspects.

now, if you mean Shaolin kung fu, the original SongShan Shaolin kung fu, i must say since the number of weapons in SongShan Shaolin system is uncountable, you may find some paired weapons that have some similarity to those butterfly swords, like double broadswrods and double knives, but your answer is definitely a big NO!

however, if you mean other schools that call themselves Shaolin (which are much more popular in western countries than the SongShan Shaolin itself!!!), in northern schools, as far as i've seen, again NO, those butterfly swords are merely southern weapons as far as i know.
    Last edited by SHemmati; 02-05-2013 at 05:34 AM.

wherever they come from, they are unwieldy and lame. Or maybe I haven't held a decent pair, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------

In Ip man wing chun the bot jam do is a little different from the common butterfly swords
    +1

The bot jam do differ from the traditional butterfly knives as the handle is in line with the back of the blade and, for the most part, the blade is tapered (aka less wide towards the base).

This design difference allows one to flip the knife around via the thumb guard/hook to cover the form arms.