Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a good pair of shoes. any ideas?

looking for a good pair of shoes. any ideas?

looking for a good pair of shoes for forms and sanshou training as well. i was looking at a pair of ISBA savate shoes but still shopping around. if anyone has any good recomendations please feel free.
    "No Problem, keep going."

- Master Wen Ching- Wu

"People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar"

-Thich Nhat Hanh

"To show mercy to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself."

-Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Wait...sanshou shoes?

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Vivo Barefoot shoes. They hold up to punishment and regular use well, I haven't gone back to wearing any other shoes since I found them 2 or 3 years ago.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    i love my feiyue shoes but sadly they are ripped to hell and after a recent injury i need something with abit more toe protection unill i become proficent in iron toe qigong
    "No Problem, keep going."

- Master Wen Ching- Wu

"People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar"

-Thich Nhat Hanh

"To show mercy to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself."

-Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

I LOVE my 5 fingers vibram for kung fu they are the best thing next to bare feet and they grip you have individual toes gripping the ground and you use individual muscles as you work out nothing beats them
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I like in door soccer shoes myself. The bonus side of them is the reinforced toe and heal. there are all kinds of styles for all kinds of feet. they are light weight, flexible, and tough as nails. they are made for kicking in and not falling apart.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLiuV View Post
    looking for a good pair of shoes for forms and sanshou training as well. i was looking at a pair of ISBA savate shoes but still shopping around. if anyone has any good recomendations please feel free.
    Don't wear shoes for San Shou.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I wear uncleated soccer style shoes. Velcro, no laces. low profile, very simple and really not much shoe when compared to your average running shoe.

I don't like feiyues. I feel there are a million better choices out there. I think people around the world wear Feiyues because it's trendy in MA's. I think Chinese people wore them originally because they were cheap, fairly durable for the price, good enough and easy to find.

It is a fact that "better shoes" make your feet weaker. In that respect Feiyues are better than Nikes.

I must say tho, I love my Nike wrestling shoes. Not the best for doing forms and stuff tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I like in door soccer shoes myself. The bonus side of them is the reinforced toe and heal. there are all kinds of styles for all kinds of feet. they are light weight, flexible, and tough as nails. they are made for kicking in and not falling apart.
    Word to yer moms!

My favorite

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I don't like feiyues. I feel there are a million better choices out there. I think people around the world wear Feiyues because it's trendy in MA's. I think Chinese people wore them originally because they were cheap, fairly durable for the price, good enough and easy to find.
    You don't think affordability is a desirable trait outside of China? Considering I can get a pair of Feiyues for about $14, I definitely prefer them over shoes that cost $50-150...especially considering what I'm gonna be using them for.

My issue isn't really the price. I don't like them cause they suck as far as durability is concerned. I can turn a legit pair of feiyues into lil bits of fabric and rubber in less than 4 months. To me, this is unacceptable. I would rather just throw down the cash for a durable pair of shoes. Not only that, but I see these things upward of thirty dollars when we all know they are only worth like 7 bucks, and even that is a MASSIVE markup. So yeah, fuck cheap shoes that get popular and increase the price by like 40,000 %.

I have yet to find a shoe that will last longer than a year. Feiyues tend to last 3-4 months, like you said...but at my price point, I'm still spending less on them annually than I would on the more expensive shoes.

Besides that, I find them to be comfy.

Fair enough. My point is that I would rather spend 100 bucks to not go through the "end phase" 3 or 4 times a year.

I find them very uncomfortable the first few weeks and then for like that last month. It's just not worth it to me. And the prices just keep going up up up as if it's a legit shoe for that price. If I really loved em I guess I would just grab like 5 pairs a year through the mail. Buy em straight from the source.

Different strokes.

I will say that if the amount I have to pay for a pair ever goes up significantly, then I may look at alternatives. Until then, they're just too good for the money.