Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a good pair of shoes. any ideas?

Feiyues fund this forum

Actually, were we to do the math, this forum is probably funded mostly by TKD belts.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Actually, were we to do the math, this forum is probably funded mostly by TKD belts.
    They are the most commonly given away freebie in martial arts.

martial arts freebees

Oh I know. But even freebees have to be purchased from somewhere initially.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sorry, was I being sacrilegious?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Word to yer moms!
    all three of them?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I like the two that are linked below. For elastic ankle cuff pants go with the Sambas and for loose cuff I go with the Stingray. Also asics makes an all black all leather wrestling coach model that are pretty excellent. My Asics are buried in a box somewhere so I couldn't tell you the model.

Addis Samba
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00347...m_ss4?pi=SY125

Otomix Stingray
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AXDDKVU

I don't really get the whole barefoot shoe thing. Don't get me wrong, I own some vibrams for hiking, and I wesr minimus for running, but why not just go without shoes more until your feet don't need the protection?

People have been going barefoot forever. If you take care of your feet you won't end up with huge calluses.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Its a good idea to always keep your shoes on when you can in case you ever find yourself in a sky scraper in the winter thats being invaded by terrorists and you end up in an office that has glass shattered all over the floor and you're in a gun fight and have to run.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    My issue isn't really the price. I don't like them cause they suck as far as durability is concerned. I can turn a legit pair of feiyues into lil bits of fabric and rubber in less than 4 months. To me, this is unacceptable. I would rather just throw down the cash for a durable pair of shoes. Not only that, but I see these things upward of thirty dollars when we all know they are only worth like 7 bucks, and even that is a MASSIVE markup. So yeah, fuck cheap shoes that get popular and increase the price by like 40,000 %.
    How are they in comparison to Converse?, or you never tried. I've been wearing a pair for about 4 years now and they're still in pretty decent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I don't really get the whole barefoot shoe thing. Don't get me wrong, I own some vibrams for hiking, and I wesr minimus for running, but why not just go without shoes more until your feet don't need the protection?

People have been going barefoot forever. If you take care of your feet you won't end up with huge calluses.
    I like that but running alongside the road obviously you can run into broken glass, nails or just little bits of gravel, where shoes at least protect you somewhat. I usually go barefoot a lot in the summer when I can.

Okay, I found the Asics I was referring to in the above post. The model is Asics Wizzer but it seems they are very rare now a days. I punished mine for a few years and they held up nicely with only minor repair needed to the soles edges on the toe and heel. Below is one of the only places I could find them listed for sale. I believe they were intended for wrestling coaches and judges so they have a little less tacky and thicker sole which work great and are a bit more forgiving when performing forms on padded mats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-NIB-ASI...-/400253907167

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I like that but running alongside the road obviously you can run into broken glass, nails or just little bits of gravel, where shoes at least protect you somewhat. I usually go barefoot a lot in the summer when I can.
    Right. I'm the same. Not saying you have to be like Cody lundin, but just going barefoot more goes a long way.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Right. I'm the same. Not saying you have to be like Cody lundin, but just going barefoot more goes a long way.
    I thought of him too lol. Yeah I wish I could do that lol.

I cant believe some of you are suggesting asicis or otomix wrestling shoes, these are designed to force your ankle and your body into a forward position not good for TMA when you lean back or go low they pinch the Achilles and put strain on the ankle.

5 finger vbirams for me personally are the best.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

You make a great point EarthDragon and I really should have elaborated on that point. Other than the Sambas I just never found anything as tough as a wrestling shoe and I'm pretty stoic so I just kind of ignored the pinching I guess. I really like the Sambas the best because they don't pinch at all. I may give those five finger vibrams a try but man do they look funny. Yeah, I'm in it for the looks...just kidding!