Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Syn, printed prosthetic

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    not actually true. Farmers can grandfather their arms to their family. I know guys who have several grandfathered firearms, no permits etc. But they are farm boys and in the rural areas, gun control isn't an issue at all.

It's in the cities where the issue lies. I have no problem with rural folk having firearms. They need them after all. people in the cities? Why do they want guns? self protection? Why are you paying a police force? Why do you have alarms on your house? etc etc. The only guns that are useful in a big city are those used by criminals and police and the rest are just a source for criminals to steal.

In my opinion.
    That is the exception to the rule. There will be no grandfather loopholes as far as printed firearms are concerned.

I like guns. I have guns. I learned to use guns at a young age. I was around it since birth. Around 10 or 11 I got to start shooting myself. At 14 I was walking through the forest alone for two three days at a time with two guns. I'm lucky I guess. I had reasonable sensible parents and extended fam. I know other families that teach their kids to shoot and they are all idiots and it's scary that they are so well armed. Knuckledraggers for sure. While regulation is reasonable IMO, it's not and never will be a complete solution to the problem. We are just going to have to get used to the idea that anyone will be able to print a gun in the NEAR future. Just how it is... Time for us to grow up a lil. Hopefully it's not too painful.

I would have thought with the new 3D printer technology, the impetus would be on socially beneficially items as opposed to guns. My bad!
    Just like when the camera was developed, Hustler came out the next day!

I bought the first issue! hehe

The $25 Lulz Liberator: The first 3D-printed gun with a rifled barrel

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-rifled-barrel

I wonder how much of a difference there is with the rifling. If it does work at all, it's probably only the first shot.

Amazing, truly.
    Makes me wanna get one for home .

A co-worker saw a 3D printer that uses metal, very cool.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Amazing, truly.
    Makes me wanna get one for home .

A co-worker saw a 3D printer that uses metal, very cool.
    Yeah, they are a bit of a process and a lil more work than with ABS but still pretty cool. Unfortunately they don't make a very strong product... yet. Really good for some things, really bad for others. Like to print the liberator in metal would be a bad idea. That's not far off though.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Yeah, they are a bit of a process and a lil more work than with ABS but still pretty cool. Unfortunately they don't make a very strong product... yet. Really good for some things, really bad for others. Like to print the liberator in metal would be a bad idea. That's not far off though.
    I hear that polycarbonate is a good material to use.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

duck foot

I never would have thought of this application. Never.

There's vid too, if you follow the link.
    3D-Printed Foot Lets Crippled Duck Walk Again

By Vignesh Ramachandran5 hours ago

Born with a backwards left foot last November, Buttercup the duck had never been able to walk normally. But that was until Sunday, when thanks to 3D printing technology, Buttercup was fitted with a custom-designed silicone foot that has him up and walking like a duck.

The folks at the Feathered Angels Waterfowl Sanctuary in Tennessee have been taking care of Buttercup and chronicling his journey on Facebook. They worked with 3D-printing company NovaCopy to print a replica of Buttercup's sister's left foot. Using that copy, the sanctuary was able to mold a silicone foot for Buttercup that could fit perfectly.

On Sunday, the silicone foot was attached to a custom-fit sock on Buttercup using a nylon retaining screw, and the duck was able to walk again.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Very cool. So many apps for this tech.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the other thread, but here it is:

3D-Printed Cast Supports Fractures In A Ventilated, Recyclable Form

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/07/3d-...cyclable-form/

Anyone who has had to have a bulky plaster or fiberglass cast back in the day will appreciate this. No more garbage bags in the shower. No more fishing out lost chop sticks after chasing that elusive itch. Light weight, ventilated, recyclable... I love simple solutions.

I wonder if they are printing exoskeletons for the disabled yet? If not... they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I wonder if they are printing exoskeletons for the disabled yet? If not... they should be.
    Well of course they are...

3D Printing an Exoskeleton for a Three Year Old

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/3d-...year-old-video

3D house in China

Needs a paint job. Or wallpaper. Or something. That surface is butt-ugly.

Ten 3D-printed houses to be used in Shanghai's Qingpu district

The 10 3D-printed houses made by a Chinese company from recycled material earlier this year were officially put into use on August 21 in Shanghai's Qingpu district, Tencent News reports.

The houses aren't very big, each one measuring around a dozen square meters. No signs of bricks and tiles can be seen on the houses and the tallest one is no more than two stories.

The components were printed with a special "ink" made from industrial construction waste.

A simple drawing, a computer and an ample amount of "ink" can create 10 of these 3D houses in one day. The inventor of this technology said that the printing process is their "top secret".

The 3D printer, measuring 32 meters long, 10 meters wide and 6.6 meters deep, was assembled in a factory in Suzhou. The bottom area is as big as a basketball court with a height of three stories. The length of the printer can be stretched out as far as150 meters.

The 3D houses were printed in Suzhou and then moved to Shanghai.

The houses are now being furnished and will be ready for move-in after the windows, wires, floors and furniture are put in.

The 3D-printing technology is environment-friendly and costs 50 percent less than traditional construction, according to reports. The 10 houses costed 4,800 USD to make.

By Lucy Liu

[ Images via Tencent News ]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It won't be long before most structures are manufactured on site by ginormous CNC's. At first it will be an assembly thing with humans stepping in at various stages, but eventually it will be mostly raw materials delivered to the site. Back in the trailer, expand, load, go. It will work day and night till the job is done and the only staff on hand will be for maintenance and incidental deficiencies. It will put a lot of people out of work, but we will adapt just as we have as we've moved away from our agrarian roots. In closing, make sure your kids are tech savvy, they're gonna need it.

Here's another for ya

Remarkable.
    Chinese doctors to rebuild man's skull using 3D-printing technology

A 46-year-old farmer who lost half of his skull in a construction accident will undergo an operation at the Xijing hospital in Xi’an, Shaanxi province to replace the missing part with a titanium implant made with 3D-printing technology.

The patient, surnamed Hu, was doing construction on a house in Zhouzhi county last October when he fell from the third floor. He survived, but the left part of his skull was severely crushed and needed to be removed. The accident also impaired his vision and speech.

Today, Hu is undergoing the operation to fill in the missing skull with a 3D-printed titanium metal hood.

Last May, a 22-year-old Dutch woman received the world's first 3d-printed implant for her skull.

Yesterday, we reported that the first-ever 3D-printed vertebra was implanted into a 12-year-old Beijing boy suffering from a tumor.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another skull

3-year-old girl receives 3D-printed skull after 17-hour surgery in Hunan

A three-year-old girl suffering congenital hydrocephalus survived a grueling 17-hour surgery to replace her cranium with a 3D-printed titanium mesh, making this the first successful surgery of its kind in China.

The operation was carried out at the Second People’s Hospital of Hunan Province on July 15, according to CCTV News. The toddler, nicknamed Hanhan, is now staying in an intensive care unit for post procedure observation and further treatment.

Around 85 percent of the child's skull was filled with cerebrospinal fluid, causing her head to swell nearly four times the size of a normal infant. Her tiny body could not support her abnormally sized head, and she's had to remain lying in bed since September of last year.

On May 17, Hanhan was transferred to the Hunan hospital where she underwent a two-month treatment. The situation was improving but her skull was getting weaker. Doctors decided that she needed to undergo surgery to save her life.

Neurosurgeons successfully removed a large piece of skull from the toddler's head and replaced it with a 3D-printed titanium mesh.

Around 15 kilos of fluid was drained from Hanhan's brain in an operation likened to "opening an egg without damaging the egg membrane and keeping the white and yolk inside the egg".

Tan Lihong, the president of the hospital, said the hospital performed the surgery free of charge, and plans on further organizing donation charities and volunteer activities to help the girl with her remaining treatment.

by Maggie Wong

[Images via Sina News]
    Amazing tech.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

For the living and the dead

Chinese funeral home 3D prints missing body parts for corpses
    Undertakers in Shanghai provides service for incomplete bodies with face recreation costing up to £540

3D printing technology uses successive layers of materials to create lifelike objects. Photograph: Núria Talavera/Getty Images/Moment Open

Stuart Leavenworth in Beijing @sleavenworth
    Thursday 31 March 2016 04.56 EDT Last modified on Thursday 31 March 2016 05.22 EDT

A Chinese funeral home is using 3D printing to manufacture spare parts for dead bodies, state media has reported.

The Longhua funeral home in Shanghai is thought to be the first in China to use 3D printing in this manner.

“Sometimes bodies are brought to the funeral home that have been damaged or are incomplete in some way,” said a report on CRIEnglish.com. “The 3D printing technique enables a more accurate and easier repair process.”

3D printing uses successive layers of materials to create a three-dimensional product. Conceptually, the technology could be used to create limbs, hair or facial features that might be damaged on a corpse, or missing from it.

According to Thursday’s article, use of 3D technology for a face recreation would cost about 4000-5000 yuan, or £430 to £540.

Some funeral homes in the US and Europe have also employed 3D printing technology, but not for the deceased. One company, UPD Urns, has produced a video to attract customers to its 3D-printed cremation urns and busts.

3D printing is booming in China. Foreign companies dominate the market for 3D manufacturing, but Chinese companies are catching up, according to a recent report by International Data Corp, a market analyst.
    What an odd application of this tech...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips