Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Syn, printed prosthetic

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...but then, this thread is for Syn7, so what could OT possibly mean in that context?

Print a 3D model of your unborn baby with the 'Shape of an angel' service
    What is this OT you speak of? Thread jacking is not just a privilege, but also a responsibility!!!

I wonder if you get the CAD files too. That would help justify the price. The actual printing is pretty cheap.

3D scanning is really starting to become affordable. Limor Fried held a contest to hack the Kinect and people did some amazing stuff. At first microsoft was pissed, but it wasn't long before they saw this new markets potential and now they encourage hacking their products. Well, not all of them. But they aren't like Apple with the whole tamper proof everything. There is a saying in the hacking community... You don't really own something until you void the warranty

I have a scanner made from two Kinects in the works. Early stages. When it's done maybe I'll post up some of the work.

I'll be impressed when they can do sword blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Thread jacking is not just a privilege, but also a responsibility!!!
    That should be your motto or your mantra. You could stencil that on a lid to display proudly upon your forehead. Or maybe just a coffee mug.

It'd make a great tramp stamp.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Too bad I already have a tramp stamp of a heart with angel wings w/ celtic fire layered over some tribal styles surrounded by barbed wire!!!

Figured I would keep it all original.

Blog Entries
    this is preety cool

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Too bad I already have a tramp stamp of a heart with angel wings w/ celtic fire layered over some tribal styles surrounded by barbed wire!!!
    It might be fashionable now to look down on tribal tattoos, but in another decade everybody will be rocking that shit and talking all sorts of noise about how they would never get a crappy sailor tattoo that everybody got ten years ago.

Where's mah latte?

Oh right, there is an anchor right above my tramp stamp with all the names of my girlfriends and families plus every RIP date of everyone i ever knew that died.

Keepin it original

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    this is preety cool
    I can see how that would be handy for some, but MAAN it looks uncomfortable. lol

Things just got serious

Actually, they were serious all along. At least, as serious as it gets around here...
    The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired (VIDEO)
    The Huffington Post | By Alexis Kleinman Posted: 05/06/2013 10:48 am EDT | Updated: 05/07/2013 2:28 am EDT

The first 3D-printed gun in action.

The world's first 3D printed gun fired its first shot on Sunday, according to this video released by Defense Distributed, the controversial company pushing for D-I-Y weapons.

Cody Wilson, of Defense Distributed, the company behind The Liberator, told the BBC that he is not concerned with the potential harm the gun could cause. He said, "I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people - that's what the tool is - it's a gun. But I don't think that's a reason to not do it - or a reason not to put it out there."

Defense Distributed's goals, as displayed on its website, are the following:

To defend the civil liberty of popular access to arms as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and affirmed by the United States Supreme Court, through facilitating global access to, and the collaborative production of, information and knowledge related to the 3D printing of arms; and to publish and distribute, at no cost to the public, such information and knowledge in promotion of the public interest.

Though 3D printing is still a fairly nascent technology, its growth is expected to be widespread. Staples expects to offer them in stores next month. Anyone interested in building a gun, then, could go to Defense Distributed's site and download the CAD file to get started.

The worst part? It's legal. Donna Sellers of the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, told the BBC that "a person can manufacture a firearm for their own use" in the U.S.

The horror of 3D printed guns stands in sharp contrast to some of the more amazing benefits 3D printing could bring, including the ability to revolutionize medicine. Is it worth the risk?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A gun undetectable through metal detectors. This will work out well.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Its a fascinating thing for sure.
    One of those "just because we can doesn't mean we should" thing probably.
    That said, how economical is it?
    I mean, you still have to buy the material and the machine to make the parts, right?
    So, how much would it cost?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its a fascinating thing for sure.
    One of those "just because we can doesn't mean we should" thing probably.
    That said, how economical is it?
    I mean, you still have to buy the material and the machine to make the parts, right?
    So, how much would it cost?
    Less than $2k. Possibly less than $1.5k
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    A gun undetectable through metal detectors. This will work out well.
    That is the law that will be used here. Short term anyways. It is illegal to possess an undetectable firearm. In the US, that is. In Canada it is illegal to own ANY gun that you don't have a permit for.

Ok, so... tech details. It's probably made out of ABS. The printer that one was printed on is roughly 8 grand. A $2000 3DCUBE will NOT cut it here. There is one piece of metal in there and then there are the bullets. We cannot print plastic shells. There are non metal shells out there, but they are not cheap and they are not practical. Not yet anyways.

While I recognize the dangers here, we have to accept this reality. It won't be long before people can do this on a desktop 3D printer. Illegal or not, people will trade CAD files. These things are here to stay.

I would be far more concerned with the bioprinters. Download the CAD for aids, make it airborne or something crazy like that. Print, send, FUCKED!

This is already a reality. It won't be long till it's affordable. The good outweighs the bad. No law will fix this. It's a social issue. We will either survive our own technology or we will not. If we don't, we deserve it anyways. I'm at peace with this. If we want to move to the next level, we have to go there. That's just how it is.

It's also worth noting that they have been printing lower receivers now for awhile. That is the part that is regulated. You can just go anywhere and buy the rest and slap it together yourself. Back in the day people would machine their own lowers, buy the rest and make an unlicensed gun that way. Now you print those parts then assemble what you printed.
    Last edited by Syn7; 05-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.

In Canada it is illegal to own ANY gun that you don't have a permit for.
    not actually true. Farmers can grandfather their arms to their family. I know guys who have several grandfathered firearms, no permits etc. But they are farm boys and in the rural areas, gun control isn't an issue at all.

It's in the cities where the issue lies. I have no problem with rural folk having firearms. They need them after all. people in the cities? Why do they want guns? self protection? Why are you paying a police force? Why do you have alarms on your house? etc etc. The only guns that are useful in a big city are those used by criminals and police and the rest are just a source for criminals to steal.

In my opinion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.