Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating bitter in China

I just moved

For the first time in my life, I hired movers.

Man Spends 5 Years Walking Home Carrying His ‘House’ on His Back
    by Bing on Monday, May 27, 2013

May 21, on the Liucheng County stretch of the 209 National Highway in Guangxi Liuzhou city, Liu Lingchao carrying his mobile “home” on his shoulders as he walks on the road.

On QQ, gxnews.com.cn, Xinhua, NetEase:
    Guangxi Man Spends 5 Years Carrying “House” on Shoulders Throughout Journey Home

With suntanned skin and wearing Liberation shoes, Liu Lingchao is walking forward quickly while carrying a 1.5 meters wide, 2.2 meters tall “house” on his shoulders. After walking about 50 meters, he puts down his “house”, retraces his steps picking up discarded water bottles, sorts and places them in several woven bags, then lifts up his “house”, repeating this over and over again. 38-year-old Liu Lingchao is from Guangxi province Liuzhou city Rong’an county Tantou town. 20 years ago, he left his hometown to find work in the Guangzhou and Shenzhen area. After the idea of returning home came to him 5 years ago, he made a 60kg simple house like this, and departed from Guangdong walking towards his hometown. Along the way, Liu Lingchao refused to to accept anyone’s help, relying only on collecting discarded waste for a living, carrying his “house” forward on his journey by day, and camping out by the side of the road at night. He has already worn out three such “houses”, and today only has about 20 kilometers more before arriving home. This reporter learned that there indeed is such a person from the town of Tantou in RongAn county, whose family lives in Longcun village in Longcheng. From Xinhua (Photos: Li Hanchi)
    Liu Lingchao, a Chinese man from Guangxi who has spent the past 5 years walking across the country on a journey back to his hometown carrying a portable "house" (makeshift shelter) on his shoulders, collecting recyclable garbage to make a living.

Liu Lingchao carrying woven bags filled with [discarded] water bottles on his shoulders as he walks on the road, his mobile “house” behind him. From Xinhua (Photos: Li Hanchi)

Liu Lingchao, a Chinese man from Guangxi who has spent the past 5 years walking across the country on a journey back to his hometown carrying a portable "house" (makeshift shelter) on his shoulders, collecting recyclable garbage to make a living.

Liu Linchao placing his portable “house” on the side of the road, resting.

Liu Linchao cooking a meal in his portable “house”.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Aw man. I love 1000-year-old eggs.

I'm guessing that industrial copper sulfate tastes bitter
    30 Chinese factories closed on suspicion of using toxic substance to hasten production of delicacy
    2 days ago by John Stuart Translations

Thousand-year-old-eggs (pidan), also known as century eggs and millennium eggs, are a popular Chinese delicacy. The dish is made by using a mixture of clay, ash, salt, rice hulls and quicklime to preserve duck eggs, and usually takes a few months to complete.

Chinese media recently reported that 30 companies involved in the production of pindan in Nanchang, the capital of Jiangxi Province, have been closed by authorities on strong suspicion of using industrial copper sulfate to hasten the ripening of the eggs.

In order to prevent “toxic pindan” from reaching market, Chinese State Food and Drug Authorities are investigating the suspect companies and their products to determine if copper sulfate, which can dramatically shorten the time needed for preserving the eggs, was used in the production process.

I think I’ll just keep eating my eggs over-easy for a while.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On nasty...

There's even video if you follow the link.
    Welcome to summer hell: Chinese lake becomes a sea of humans and rubber rings
    2 days ago by Mike

Summer in Asia is hot. Like, really, really hot. Seeing mirages hot. Cooking whole English breakfasts on the sidewalk hot. But no matter how hellish the summer heat gets, we will never, ever, ever set foot in this Chinese lake.

The above is the Hieronymus Bosch-esque hellscape of what is quite possibly the world’s most crowded summertime attraction: a lake in Suining City, China.

The lake is known as China’s Dead Sea, but the summer day these photos were taken this year, the lake was very much alive with as many as 15,000 desperate Chinese bathers. So crowded is the lake in these photos, we suppose the only way to actually enter the lake is to crowd-surf to an open spot.

The sheer volume of other sweaty, stinky human bodies is enough to convince us to never go anywhere near this body of water. But in light of science recently proving that every person’s belly button sports a one-of-a-kind ****tail of thousands of different types of bacteria, the thought of the – by our calculation – approximately five metric butt-tons of unique germs swimming around in that lake is enough to make us swear off all exposure to water outside of scalding hot showers. And then there’s that awful fear: what if you slipped under…?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I would worry less about what's coming out of their belly buttons, and more about all the other stuff coming out of them. That lake should be called China's toilet.

That's like kiddie pool times a billion!

I would love to see a sample from that lake in the lab. Nasty!

Eating too many snails

I get the Picolo Dragon Ball angle, but it really isn't necessary. ODing on snails is plenty for this story.
    Man accidentally morphs into Dragon Ball’s Piccolo, seeks professional help
    Rachel Tackett 9 hours ago

For those of you who are fans of Dragon Ball, what would you call Piccolo’s most defining feature: the turban, the heavy-set brow line, or perhaps the long, pointy ears? If you ask us, the first thing to register when staring at a screen shot of the awesome alien warrior is his undeniable Hulk-like greenness.

Late last month, a man from Western China managed to achieve this startling shade of green skin, though not of his own volition and not without consequence, either. And what was the cause of his seemingly alien ailment? Snails.

It was reported last week in the Guizhou region of China, a 24-year-old man is recovering at home after seeing a doctor when his skin and even the whites of his eyeballs turned completely green. The man did not notice the peculiar coloring himself, but had it pointed out to him by a coworker and sought immediate medical assistance.

Turning full-body green is not a symptom that’s seen very often, but came as a result of parasites consumed in a plate of ill-prepared snails. Four sheep liver flukes, small centimeter-long parasites, were found swimming through the man’s system. After being removed, they were sent to China’s disease prevention control center to be studied. Failure to remove these parasites could have resulted in inflammation of the gall-bladder, scarring on the liver, and an increased chance of developing liver cancer.

Do be aware that these parasites were not a result of just one unlucky encounter with a plate of tainted escargot. Apparently, the little, green man has a huge affinity for eating snails and had consumed a plate of them every single day for many months. The fact that the man subsequently changed shades just goes to show that you really are what you eat. If allowed to continue in this way, we wonder how long before he’d have grown antenna reminiscent of Dragon Ball‘s Namekian race, to further compliment the pigment of his skin.

That being said, it’s probably better that we humans don’t try to become like Piccolo. He may be a super strong fighter, but he’s also an angry bachelor who died young and never got a girlfriend. It’s no stretch to say that a similar fate probably awaits those of us who spontaneously turn green. If such a thing ever happens to you someday, I suggest taking a quick picture for posterity’s sake and seeking emergency medical assistance.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cross your legs for this one

Monkey bites off and eats baby's testicle while mother changing him

An eight month old baby had his testicle bitten off and swallowed by a monkey at Qianling Park in Guiyang, Guizhou, Sohu reports.

The boy's mother was changing his diaper when one of the hundreds of wild monkeys who populate the park leaped onto him, biting his testicles. An old man reportedly tried to retrieve the testicle from the animal, but it was chewed beyond repair.

According to doctor's the child's injuries are not life-threatening but his future reproductive will be greatly affected. Park officials urged tourists to avoid the monkeys, which have been involved in several instances of wounding visitors in the past, though nothing so extreme.

By James Griffiths in News on Sep 7, 2013 12:00 PM
    I was going to make a comment about baby testicles being bitter, but it would be in bad taste. Very bad taste.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hong kong Apartments

I actually do my martial arts in a place like this - I don't even go outside

Quote Originally Posted by Cheng oi View Post
    I actually do my martial arts in a place like this - I don't even go outside.
    Go outside! Don't be a throw away child! The sun is good for your chi!
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Looks like a perfect place to train Wing Chun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Go outside! Don't be a throw away child! The sun is good for your chi!

I don't want any problems - that's why I don't go outside - maybe trash should chillout with all the surveillance & Harassment

maybe they should send money instead
    I didn't want them kidnapping my kids
    I didn't want to have to stick to the electricity every time they turn it on
    I didn't want the neighbors stealing my broadsword as soon as the postman drpped it off
    I don't want to play stupid games with evil idiots
    I'm highly allergic to B.S. ---- no I am not apologizing

yes I know the sun is good - too bad they don't share it
    I wanted to live in Arizona
    I didn't want to be the landlords slave
    I don't want to be here --> X
    I didn't want to get Nickle & dimed to death
    I don't like getting chump changed
    I didn't want my face messed up
    I don't like poverty
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    the subject of todays RANT is --------------------- probably off topic

P.S ---- send money - a lot of money
    I'm going to cook rice now - I DON'T WANT knockout drops in the soy sauce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foaUrqvOTpw

as the little circle gets smaller
    Last edited by Cheng oi; 10-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Michael Wolf - the real toy story

An impressive exhibit of photography of toy factory workers. I only cherry-picked a few choice photos. There are many more. Follow this link - the real toy story.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips