Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different iron palm method

Different iron palm method

I heard about this different iron palm method used by Duncan Leung "The first is what he used when he was younger, that involved soaking his hands in Chinese black vinegar and rusty nails. He discourages this, because it causes you to loose feeling in the hands." Can anyone verify/give more details on it?

I have heard of some Shaolin guy teaching this method here in China too, but dont know any details.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NiN View Post
    I heard about this different iron palm method used by Duncan Leung "The first is what he used when he was younger, that involved soaking his hands in Chinese black vinegar and rusty nails. He discourages this, because it causes you to loose feeling in the hands." Can anyone verify/give more details on it?
    Um, yeah. prolly should do that!

Boxers of oldy timey (and maybe a few now) will soak with pickle brine to keep the hands supple.

Hands get hard, but feel soft when you do this regularly.

Not sure why the iron is being added in the method you mention.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Why would anyone destroy their hands?

This method if real is dangerous and I would say never do this.

Any method that destroys your body is foolishness, plain and simple. Why do this?

Soaking your hands in vinegar and rusty nails will cause your hand bones to soften over time. Not what you want at all.

Avoid soaks with Vinegar.

Salt softens hard in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Boxers of oldy timey (and maybe a few now) will soak with pickle brine to keep the hands supple.

Hands get hard, but feel soft when you do this regularly.

Not sure why the iron is being added in the method you mention.
    Old school boxers soaked their hands in brine to toughen up the skin. They also used vinegar or brine to wash their faces and rub around the eyes to toughen the skin to avoid cuts.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Old school boxers soaked their hands in brine to toughen up the skin. They also used vinegar or brine to wash their faces and rub around the eyes to toughen the skin to avoid cuts.
    Agreed, urine was also used at times. I have heard that incorrect use of the method mentioned in this post leads can lead to messed up hands as well. As with all things, real training is best learned from a teacher that has done and used it themselves.
    -Golden Arms-

Vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Agreed, urine was also used at times.
    Yea, that's what we used to tell the nooBs. 'Dude, it cures acne. Lemme pee on your face."

As for vinegar, I love vinegar. Our cupboard has like two dozen bottles of different vinegars. It's for salad tho, not for soaks. I remember one of the Chinese gymnastic coaches recommending a shot of apple cider vinegar every day to increase flexibility. I tried that. It was bracing. But I didn't get more flexible, nor more healthy (as many nutritionists advocate with apple cider vinegar).

I know, I know, you want to post this after this post: "Gene's just full of **** and vinegar."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Yea, that's what we used to tell the nooBs. 'Dude, it cures acne. Lemme pee on your face."

As for vinegar, I love vinegar. Our cupboard has like two dozen bottles of different vinegars. It's for salad tho, not for soaks. I remember one of the Chinese gymnastic coaches recommending a shot of apple cider vinegar every day to increase flexibility. I tried that. It was bracing. But I didn't get more flexible, nor more healthy (as many nutritionists advocate with apple cider vinegar).

I know, I know, you want to post this after this post: "Gene's just full of **** and vinegar."
    Some people pay good money....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

really?

cuz i could use some more cash flow...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If I recall correctly some baseball players did/do use urine on their hands as well.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

I know there are some doctors that "recommend" urine therpay (Lyoto Machida of the UFC has talked about drinking his morning pee for health reasons). The only thing from credible medical sources I have seen is that urine when it leaves the body is sterile. So washing your face with it COULD help remove the dirts and oils to fight acne. BUT, unless you are out in a jungle somewhere with nasty water, you are better just washing your face in the shower.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

The rusty nails thing is a really really bad idea!!! It can kill you.

lol @ cash "flow"....

anyway...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I just hijacked the **** out of this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    If I recall correctly some baseball players did/do use urine on their hands as well.
    Curious to hear that from someone who adopts the forum name "Golden"...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I know there are some doctors that "recommend" urine therpay (Lyoto Machida of the UFC has talked about drinking his morning pee for health reasons).
    Believe it or not, we have a thread on that here. See health benefits of urine. Is this forum great or what?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol @ cash "flow"....
    Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips