Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chi Sau and How We Learn

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    STFU Wayfaring. just kidding mate ; )
    ok so some snarky comments are fine as long as there is content too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    i'd say it is to start to introduce a beginner to develop elbow position and to sense energy on the bridge. single hand to simplify then double hand to start to introduce simultaneous action, referred to as lin sil di dar.

that's ip man though.

hfy has quite a different concept of chi sau and learning it. i started training that by first learning kiu sau and the specific drilling aspects of it in snt.
    Elbows are brought into the center during the introduction of SLT , a multifaceted conceptual group of ideas based on a simple center-line/interception approach.

Lin sil di da can be achieved with one arm at a time, not two together , a common misconception and making a student rely on the idea of utilizing two of their own hands to the opponents 1 always....It also induces too much body rotation to engage the blocking arm with the incoming strike, rather than simply MOVING and ANGLING long before you got into a bad position leaving you chasing arms with one of yours and hitting with the other in parallel.....
    The worst mistake students make is to over rotate. Why CK has to be trained , so we control our own force delivery so it doesnt spin us into counters.

Using Chi Sao properly and for what it is meant for it has many good purposes. Mainly, it does teach maintaining proper elbow position, How to use your hand techniques without over extending, and you can also learn to sense your opponents moves when bridged or in arm contact like wrestling and such. It is a drill where 1, 2 or even 3 men can develop these skills. However, it is not useful beyond that point and should eventually be shoved to the wayside.
    It has become a game, a passtime in most schools to take up your time and money rather than being taught Wing Chun.
    I have been a practitioner for somewhere near 57 years now. Or I started 57 years ago. In all this time, I have not met a single Wing Chun practitioner outside my own family members. I suggest you will not either unless you hang around WC schools. If you fight someone, he will not even know what it is. And Chi Sao will be something you will not be able to use. If you can not take him out within the first few moves he is going to be aware of your intent and take a defensive stance. You will then be faced with dealing with the possibility of getting that a$$ whipped. Just from what I gather from this forum, there are few schools and even fewer teachers that are quailified to teach good Wing Chun, and have all ended up with Chi Sao being their main end. It is no wonder it is not usable in the ring.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Elbows are brought into the center during the introduction of SLT , a multifaceted conceptual group of ideas based on a simple center-line/interception approach.
    Sure.

Lin sil di da can be achieved with one arm at a time, not two together , a common misconception and making a student rely on the idea of utilizing two of their own hands to the opponents 1 always....It also induces too much body rotation to engage the blocking arm with the incoming strike, rather than simply MOVING and ANGLING long before you got into a bad position leaving you chasing arms with one of yours and hitting with the other in parallel.....
    The worst mistake students make is to over rotate. Why CK has to be trained , so we control our own force delivery so it doesnt spin us into counters.
    Haven't heard your concept tied to the lin sil di da term before, however, yes in practical application a flanking position allows the bridge to be controlled by one hand. In HFY we tie many of these concepts to the word "jong", or pillar. For example, "mun jong" describes the range at which simultaneous offense/defense occurs.