Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kev's Vin Tsun Clips Revisted

I delete threads that lose direction anerlich for lack of moderation...Like Frost posting grappling links
    I forget sometimes after nearly 30 years doing this VT thing, oh yeah...Years ago I was in L.A. California while doing a USA tour with GM V Kan as his senior instructor and visiting A Fong in arizona, Chris Chan in S.Fran, Kenneth Cheung, and .....Hawkins Cheung..... I remember HC complimented me personally on my bong sao's, chi-sao at an after seminar dinner. This was after watching me and his student R Chu chi-sao....I later had R Chu...Alans teacher, asking me ( privately ) how I turned him in chi-sao , how my bong sao worked, etc...this was all private between me and R Chu during the break in a seminar. H Cheung gave me and a student of V Kan attending , a big explanation of VT alone one night in his school. Great, he was very excited and animated about it.

Oh and M Tyson and me

I delete threads that lose direction anerlich for lack of moderation...Like Frost posting grappling links
    I forget sometimes after nearly 30 years doing this VT thing, oh yeah...Years ago I was in L.A. California while doing a USA tour with GM V Kan as his senior instructor and visiting A Fong in arizona, Chris Chan in S.Fran, Kenneth Cheung, and .....Hawkins Cheung..... I remember HC complimented me personally on my bong sao's, chi-sao at an after seminar dinner. This was after watching me and his student R Chu chi-sao....I later had R Chu...Alans teacher, asking me ( privately ) how I turned him in chi-sao , how my bong sao worked, etc...this was all private between me and R Chu during the break in a seminar. H Cheung gave me and a student of V Kan attending , a big explanation of VT alone one night in his school. Great, he was very excited and animated about it.

Oh and M Tyson and me

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Chi sao, oh, OK.

Oh and M Tyson and me
    You met Tyson and took a picture with him, oh, OK.

Chi sao, oh, OK.

Oh and M Tyson and me

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Chi sao, oh, OK.

Yes & yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Chi sao, oh, OK.

Yes & yes.

Yes & yes.
    So far, what has been shown in the "Return of Vin Tsun 3" seems to suggest that the closest Vin Tsun gets to actual skill is doing chi sao and meeting fighters and taking pictures with them.

Yes & yes.
    So far, what has been shown in the "Return of Vin Tsun 3" seems to suggest that the closest Vin Tsun gets to actual skill is doing chi sao and meeting fighters and taking pictures with them.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Great, it's a trilogy longer than lord of the rings!!!!!
    Well I can't open the link, so no I can't

Having said that, lighten up Kevin, it's just a forum

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Great, it's a trilogy longer than lord of the rings!!!!!
    Well I can't open the link, so no I can't

Having said that, lighten up Kevin, it's just a forum

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Probably more like Star Wars. "Return of the Jedi" being the third installment of many more.

Waiting for Kev's version of "The Phantom Menace". Unless that's anyone who thinks the chi-sao warriors in his clips don't have the skill of Yoda.

Strange way to attack Alan, posting clips of his teacher's teacher and himself.
    Does that make Kevin the ja ja binks of VT??

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Probably more like Star Wars. "Return of the Jedi" being the third installment of many more.

Waiting for Kev's version of "The Phantom Menace". Unless that's anyone who thinks the chi-sao warriors in his clips don't have the skill of Yoda.

Strange way to attack Alan, posting clips of his teacher's teacher and himself.
    Does that make Kevin the ja ja binks of VT??

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Okay. I'm not starting a flame war. You are asking so I will just give an opinion and I hope it can be discussed without having go back on about right and wrong wing chun.

I just can't see more that semi demo drill chi sao. Maybe it's the style's trademark. But for me and it is just my view - I feel it lacks connection to the goal of wing chun. Which is dealing with a fight. It seems to much wing chun vs wing chun. Pure drilling. That's okay for beginners, but we never see anything beyond that.

In terms of angles etc it's all okay. But I don't see body structure body in the way I view it. The style doesn't use root in a way that I think it would need to in order to hold stance under tough pressure. I know people will say they will move and hit etc etc. But I am just being honest from the point of view of someone that trains fiighters for MMA, boxing K1. In lacks the natural timing of movement for me. It's good level of drilling of what they do. Chi Sao is just training as people will say. But fighting is not just training. So the training has to offer a skill which works in fighting. If a guy was not that good and throws a punch then yes a set drill can work. But I have seen so much nice drilling fall down as soon as the drill is not in play. A stronger fighter will smash though a weak drill as such.

So instead of attacking my crazy view or reminding me that I just use strength or that I don't know wing chun - lets try something new.

Questions -

What do you think this type of drilling demo style chi sao brings to a fight?

Do you think it will stop a guy using power and strength?

Chi Sao is just a drill? if so why does is it somethings showed with a better guy beating a not so good guy? Not saying that it the wrong thing. But it seems to go against the idea of a drilling skill if that's the case.

Would this sort of training stop a MMA fighter (levels basic guy, good guy, advance guy)?

Please explain the next stage in this style to take this to sparing - as I have seen sparring with head gear etc but that all became a long range in and out trade. Is the goal that? or is the goal to get in and stay in and use infighting skills? As I don't see that in the other clips of this style.

Again we all know we have different views, which is all fine.

I am just asking about stuff that is on my mind when I watch this different view.
    Best post I've read on here in ages. I'm not making any judgements on whose POV is correct but the post is written in an open, engaging and polite manner. If all posts were like this the forum would be infinitely better.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Okay. I'm not starting a flame war. You are asking so I will just give an opinion and I hope it can be discussed without having go back on about right and wrong wing chun.

I just can't see more that semi demo drill chi sao. Maybe it's the style's trademark. But for me and it is just my view - I feel it lacks connection to the goal of wing chun. Which is dealing with a fight. It seems to much wing chun vs wing chun. Pure drilling. That's okay for beginners, but we never see anything beyond that.

In terms of angles etc it's all okay. But I don't see body structure body in the way I view it. The style doesn't use root in a way that I think it would need to in order to hold stance under tough pressure. I know people will say they will move and hit etc etc. But I am just being honest from the point of view of someone that trains fiighters for MMA, boxing K1. In lacks the natural timing of movement for me. It's good level of drilling of what they do. Chi Sao is just training as people will say. But fighting is not just training. So the training has to offer a skill which works in fighting. If a guy was not that good and throws a punch then yes a set drill can work. But I have seen so much nice drilling fall down as soon as the drill is not in play. A stronger fighter will smash though a weak drill as such.

So instead of attacking my crazy view or reminding me that I just use strength or that I don't know wing chun - lets try something new.

Questions -

What do you think this type of drilling demo style chi sao brings to a fight?

Do you think it will stop a guy using power and strength?

Chi Sao is just a drill? if so why does is it somethings showed with a better guy beating a not so good guy? Not saying that it the wrong thing. But it seems to go against the idea of a drilling skill if that's the case.

Would this sort of training stop a MMA fighter (levels basic guy, good guy, advance guy)?

Please explain the next stage in this style to take this to sparing - as I have seen sparring with head gear etc but that all became a long range in and out trade. Is the goal that? or is the goal to get in and stay in and use infighting skills? As I don't see that in the other clips of this style.

Again we all know we have different views, which is all fine.

I am just asking about stuff that is on my mind when I watch this different view.
    Best post I've read on here in ages. I'm not making any judgements on whose POV is correct but the post is written in an open, engaging and polite manner. If all posts were like this the forum would be infinitely better.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

deleted.

I now worship Alan Orr