Thread: If you're a cop, emt, street worker...

If you're a cop, emt, street worker...

You likely would be interested in investing in a pair of these: http://www.guide.eu/en/produkter/CPN/cpn.html
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Tradesmen will use them more than anyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glRxe...ature=youtu.be

I took a quick look and found a bunch of info on how great they are but nothing on what they use. My best guess is either some sort of mesh or maybe some graphite type material.

Did you go through enough to find out any of that?

I wonder what the limits are. I would love to see their stress tests. Table saw, meet analog hand!
    Last edited by Syn7; 03-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.

That's a funny demo

Cops, emts, street workers are tradesmen after a fashion. Some of my EMT/Paramed/First responder friends wear them, or some version of them. I had an old Paramed friend that even wore those clear Gargoyle protective glasses while working for fear of blood splatter. Many of my cop friends carry protective gloves too. They make all sorts of them nowadays.

I have lost friends to needle sticks - 3 and counting - but I don't work in the field that much like this anymore, so I don't carry them myself. More gear can be more hassle and I'm not called upon to do such searches that often, only a few times every few months. However, I've been thinking about investing in a pair. I like a good pair of gloves.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glRxe...ature=youtu.be

I took a quick look and found a bunch of info on how great they are but nothing on what they use. My best guess is either some sort of mesh or maybe some graphite type material.

Did you go through enough to find out any of that?

I wonder what the limits are. I would love to see their stress tests. Table saw, meet analog hand!
    "Alycore, a smooth, ultra-thin metal mesh, which when placed layer upon layer in our gloves gives a unique level of protection."

The C.P.N (cut / puncture/ needle) gloves are the best level of protection.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, I figured as much. Newschool chain mail I like the shark suits they are making now. I imagine the military is all over it too.

I had a pair of mesh gloves about ten years ago. They werent this good yet. They werent too bulky but i had dexterity issues and lost a ton of sensitivity in my hands that were required for the work. So basically I could only wear them when doing the bigger more general stuff. Which is slightly ironic because for me it was the jobs I couldn't wear them for that I needed them for the most. These look like a much better version. I don't do the same work anymore, but they still mos def will be very useful for me. Especially now that my hands aren't armored like they were when I was doing that work. So when I do stuff like that I am more likely to get cut now.

I hear ya, Gene. When I said tradesmen I meant builders and maintenance type stuff. But your point is a good one.

Also, affordability is still an issue. For example, an electrician that works hard will go through a pair of gloves every two weeks or so. You can't really use the thick ones that last and the thin ones get finger holes rather quickly. These may have strong mesh layers but they are pretty much done when the stitching and "leather" is worn down. Even the ones with the grip pads (which are bulky and annoying) don't last very long. For these to be worth it you have to be at a high risk or they need to be like 40 bucks a pair max.

The ones I would need are in the 70 to 150 range. It is worth it for me right now because I am not going to abuse them like I would in other jobs. But as an electrician, too expensive. In a few years hopefully they drop the prices by about half.

I used to use kevlar lined gloves in my correctional officer days. I still have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I used to use kevlar lined gloves in my correctional officer days. I still have them.
    Interesting you bring up textile.

I remember learning about the armor that Alexander the Great wore and that it was layer upon layer of linen. laminated with a glue.

It stops arrows and that was demonstrated. That Alexander....he knew stuff.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You likely would be interested in investing in a pair of these: http://www.guide.eu/en/produkter/CPN/cpn.html
    These look interesting.

Probably not light enough for patdowns or area searches, and then there is the problem of cross-contamination but they might be effective in helping to control someone who grabs a sharp or abrasive weapon.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Interesting you bring up textile.

I remember learning about the armor that Alexander the Great wore and that it was layer upon layer of linen. laminated with a glue.

It stops arrows and that was demonstrated. That Alexander....he knew stuff.
    He didn't make that up. They also used wax.