Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein drinks

Dragon Warrior Guest
    excess protein can also have negative effects on the kidney's. Your body does not need that much protein to build muscle, if you eat balanced nutrient rich meals, your body is getting all it needs to build strength and muscle.

I used to drink those protein drinks, but now since i've stopped, i am seeing faster and better results.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

ElPietro Guest
    Repulsive Monkey textbook chinese medicine you say yet you can't provide even simple reasoning for the broad statements you make...perhaps just thinking in the first place would be an excellent start for yourself. I guess your textbook is different from all others...but it's chinese so that must make it superior...thank you for further warping the minds of those who read these threads.

ElPietro Guest
    Well I don't see how you could possibly be getting better results with less protein...yes there is a limit to what you should take and it's the kidney's that are at some risk...but this is in an extreme case. Without protein your body can metabolize muscle in order to fuel the body which is counter-productive to weight lifting...there are many factors that can change results so I doubt cutting out protein will be the cause.

On another note...KungfuDude how many tons of veggies are you eating to get your protein. ;) Just kidding but veggies are a poor source of protein...which is why vegetarians have trouble when it comes to getting enough protein...along with many other nutrients. I guess you could use SOY protein which isn't as good as whey protein but just veggies alone coupled with intense workouts will leave you deficient.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Dragon Warrior
    Excess protein harms your kidneys, but only in excessive amounts- like anything over 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Anything less than 180 or 200 grams of protein shouldn't be much of a problem. FYI- that equates to 10 protein drinks a day; 1 or 2 ain't gonna put you in the red.

As far as kidneys go, I'd probly worry more about sugar intake.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Dragon Warrior Guest

lost dicsiple

i agree with you on the kidney and sugar statements.

There is almost no reason why anyone in America should be using protein supplements.

These magazines and advertisements have brainwashed our society. People just believe things without doing any extensive research on their own.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Dragon
    I can agree with you on the extent that there are alternatives to protein shakes, but if you want a decent amount of protein and don't feel like eating tons of tuna, it can be an alternative. You will NOT however convince me that increased protein intake does not increase muscle mass, density, strength, and recovery time as protein has been the ONLY supplement that I have actually noticed gains from.

Repulsive Monkey Guest

ElPietro

The reasoning is that Stomach and Spleen functions deal with the processing of all foods and drinks, and when overloaded either bulk-wise or intensity wise it puts a strain of the convertion of mineral Qi to mix with Zong Qi breathed in. The two elements go to make the general body energy needed to function full stop. I'm sorry to hear that you failed to pick up on the fact that all this is just an opinion, and is not gospel. However your standpoint appears a little feeble when I have provided bona fide information, and again you still dismiss it. Thats fine ElPietro, i'm not trying to convert anyone just trying to exercise freedom of speech. I can assure you that I do not try to force people to except anything I say, whereas you choose to vehemently down-play what I say as a matter of fact. Strange that isn't it!? Now who's trying to warp other peoples mind eh ElPietro?

prana Guest
    I am a boulder. Bouderers need quicks bursts of power. The best food for this, is in fact, BANANNA's !

Dragon Warrior Guest

Lost Dicsple

Im not saying that your body doesnt use protein to build muscle. It definetly does. It breaks down the proteins you eat and recombines the amino acids into combinations that it needs for various uses in the body.

Instead of getting more protein, imho, you should focus on eating very high quality protein. Im not talking about complete protein, instead im talking about very easily digested protein. What good is eating 300 grams of protein if your body only digest 50gms of it. Believe or not, but this is what actually happens. Try to eat as much raw organic food as possible. The enzymes in raw food will help you digest the food you eat, and allow you to utilize all of the nutrition given in the food.

Believe it or not, but i actually have seen an increase in my strength, recovery time, endurance, awarness, etc, since i have been eating raw foods. Since I have changed my diet to 70% raw foods, i only have to have about 1 serving of meat a day. Once i move out of my house i am going to totally cut meat out of my diet.

Protein shakes and excess meat will not increase strength, but instead cause the body to use more energy getting rid of what it doesnt need.

Check out this website.
    Centurytraining.com

Go to the nutrition link, they have some interesting reading material.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    I've read centurytraining.com before and don't agree with a lot of it.
    I do, however, try to mix up my protein sources. I love peanuts and peanut butter, also beans and other non-meat proteins. I try to mix everything up, as far as what i eat and not get too cornered into one thing- cuz i get tired of the same food all the time, real quick. I'll even go so far as throwing a scoop of peanut butter into a blender with a protein shake. I also mix up my meats- I try to balance between red meats, poultry, and fish- probably putting more weight on fish.

I think people gotta find what works for them. I mean, some people feel healthier on a veggie diet, while others don't. I think some people grow real big on huge amounts of protein, while others just get diahrrea. hehe
    Balance helps me out mentally (not getting sick of what I'm eating) and helps out my digestion - cuz too much of one thing makes me ill.

ElPietro Guest
    Hmmm...Repulsive Monkey the reason for my vehemence is due to statements made by you that are as you state, "opinion" which are based on some mythical chinese textbook, yet it's still your "opinion", also based on something called Qi which if I look around the primary language on this board is english so why don't you explain what it is, along with zong qi since I don't see that on any periodical table or scientific text. Or is it your job just to state your "opinion" yet not justify it with one shred of evidence? Yeah I'm aggravated by your posts...because there are many people here searching for answers, and when foolish posts like yours are read it just further confuses them. Is your name Ralek?

On another note...if you are a large framed heavy body-builder it's almost impossible to get 100% of your protein intake from food. There is only so much you can stuff into yourself and if you think 50 grams of protein a day is enuff than just say good-bye to any mass you may have. Protein shakes are good as a "supplement" because it contains the best form of protein available, which is whey protein. This protein is absorbed fastest into your bloodstream to supply your muscles with what it needs right after a work out when you are in a catabolic state (which is when your body may be using muscle to fuel itself). It hasn't been proven one way or another how much protein you can absorb at once but generally it is accepted that you can at least utilize 50 grams in one sitting. If you can eat the protein you need from all food sources then more power to you, but I know when i'm on the go a protein bar or shake really comes in handy, as I don't carry around a grill and food everywhere I go.

But hey there's something called freedom of speech as stated earlier...so believe what you wish...

Lost_Disciple Guest
    BTW- I forgot about that 50gram thing.
    There was a study i read last spring, someone else summarized the same thing here as well.
    They proved that the body can not absorb more than 50g of protein in a single meal.
    That wasn't meant for all day; in fact, every 3 hours can be considered a meal time.
    That's 50g every 3 hours or so...that doesn't mean you are only going use 50g of protein all day.

The USRDA's protein guidelines are higher than 50g, no? Why would they advise u to consume more if you're not going to digest it all?

Dragon Warrior Guest
    actually studies show that the body cannot absorb more than 24gms of protein at a time.

The RDA for protein comsumption is exactly 50gms. Not double it. Of course this is for the average person. I think they recommend 1/3 a gram for every pound you way. So if you weight 180lbs, you should have 60gms of protein.

Most fitness mazazines usually recommend more, but this is because they are sponsered by the companies that make these protein shakes.

ElPietro Guest
    Please show me these "studies" and the reputable sources you got them from please. Considering the amount of research into this subject by 3rd party companies and concerned individuals as well as government regulation I'd be surprised if this was true.

Again please just post a link to these studies you've read.

Repulsive Monkey Guest

Hhhmm

I can't see why your bluntness should turn so abusive ElPietro. This IS no mythical textbook like you presume that contains this information, quite the opposite. You'll find all this information in any and every single textbook on Traditional Chinese Medicine. Why you seem so scared and and uneasy about I don't know, especially as the so-called orthodox medical branches of most major countries seem to endorse Chinese Medicine. I mean it was Richard Nixon who had one of the most major influences in the 60's in promoting Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine in America, after being cured (acute appendicitis) by it on his Chinese Embassy visits in the 60's.

Unfortunately ElPietro if you trully believe that there is only one true model of health and medicine in the world and all else is fake, old fashioned, unproven, or hog-wash then you must remian in the growinf minority of other blinkered people. For references to what I have quoted so far, See:

"Foundations of Chinese Medicine" & "Principles of Chinese Medicine" both by Giovanni Maciocia,

"The Web that has no Weaver" by Ted Kaptchuck

"The Yellow Emporors Classic on Internal Medicine" by Ni Maoshing