Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Let's Talk About Sparring!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    In amateur you often don't know who your opponent is; and if you do you probably won't be able to find too much out about his personal fighting style. Your kind of left to make assumptions based on the style he claims to practice, if you even know that.
    maybe that's local to your area. it's rare for us to have an opponent we know nothing about unless it's his first fight. especially now in the era of the internet - guys put their fights online. even my sumo coach has his sumo matches online. also, matches are very organized here. you'll always know your opponent unless he backs out last minute and you draw a replacement. but also, promotions here are held in the same stadium our nba team plays in, so...they are quality shows. but even before that, things were well organized.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    maybe that's local to your area. it's rare for us to have an opponent we know nothing about unless it's his first fight. especially now in the era of the internet - guys put their fights online. even my sumo coach has his sumo matches online. also, matches are very organized here. you'll always know your opponent unless he backs out last minute and you draw a replacement. but also, promotions here are held in the same stadium our nba team plays in, so...they are quality shows. but even before that, things were well organized.
    Actually a lot of guys are getting smart about that and taken their fights down or making them private. A team I train with had a couple of fights where they did have their opponents names. Did searches, there was plenty of talk on fb, some local interviews, stats from sanctioning bodies, but no fights. Even cross searching by their opponents couldn't bring up any fights.

But they didn't have any fights posted either...why give someone an advantage? In AM it's not like people have seen you on PPV..of course if their friends put it up you can find it, but a lot of guys have gotten wise to that.

Where are you out of?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Memphis, TN
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Memphis, TN
    I'm in upstate NY, the AM MMA scene has only been going for 1 year now...I think they're still figuring stuff out...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Memphis is a small city, but they've been doing mma shows since the late 90s. before "real mma" rampage's teacher used to host something called kick shoot, where you fought kickboxing and grappling rounds separately. it progressed from there. one particular promotion - v3 fights - has goten pretty big and is now even hosting shows in other cities. empire fights is another one that is growing. also once per month, they have pro boxing matches. a few months ago, that promotion featured its first mma exhibition match.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter