Thread: Sparring Gear Advice

Sparring Gear Advice

I am looking for recommendations on sparring gear. List your preferences and reasons why you like them.

Originally I got a basic set of macho brand dipped foam gear. Over the past few years I have been adding and swapping out pieces. I have a problem with the foot gear though. It tears too easily and even slips off when I get sweaty. Even if I wrap it as tight as possible, it still slips off. Does anyone have any recommendations for gear, foot gear especially.

You know what I'm going to say...

Support the forum. Buy at MartialArtsMart.com.

If you're looking for foam foot gear, Legend Kicks is a very good seller nowadays.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That's where I get all of my gear from, just looking for advice or tips on the better gear. Maybe a comparison because I don't have a lot of experience with different types of foot gear.

Head gear.
    Gloves.
    Cup.
    Mouth piece.
    Shin guards if you like. (seriously, these are optional)

You should be able to find adequate gear here:

http://www.martialartsmart.com/sparring-gear.html

and here:

http://www.martialartsmart.com/mma-gear.html

now get out there and clock someone you like.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you want foot protection, a quality pair of shin guards are actually better than the "boot type" foam foot pads, IMO. I would give them a try if your school allows for it. I imagine Gene sells those as well, if not ignore my post and buys his foot pads!

7 oz gloves

Shin Guards

Mouthpiece:

Cup/Compression Shorts
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by eltravose View Post
    I am looking for recommendations on sparring gear.
    What kind of sparring; point or boxing/kickboxing?

ring to cage
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

There's tons of gear out there to choose from but I just wanted to mention something about mouth guards.

I highly recommend you have a dentist make you a fitted mouth guard.

I've tried many types of boil and bites over the years and there is just no comparison to a professionally fitted one.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    There's tons of gear out there to choose from but I just wanted to mention something about mouth guards.

I highly recommend you have a dentist make you a fitted mouth guard.

I've tried many types of boil and bites over the years and there is just no comparison to a professionally fitted one.
    This can be cost prohibitive though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It is really worthy the money, tho, as our friend previously said. As my father says, if we, who work our asses off everyday for our money, can't use it every now and then to get something nice for ourselves, what's point?

composit powder to rubber about 50.00 but worth every penny
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    It is really worthy the money, tho, as our friend previously said. As my father says, if we, who work our asses off everyday for our money, can't use it every now and then to get something nice for ourselves, what's point?
    I don't think custom mouth guards are that important for workouts. I've trained with UFC fighters (Matt Grice, James Head) and they use plain ol' boil and bite mouth pieces in training.

For competition purposes, I can see investing in one.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

My wife and I had them made for $70.00 each. I didn't think that was to bad for a nice piece of gear that will really last a while. The best part is they fit so well that you can actually speak normally with it in your mouth.

Not knocking others approach but I thought it a fine point to share for those who don't mind splurging a bit on themselves.

The followings are sparring gear for full contact sparring exercise I advise:

- Head guard with face guard
    - open finger gloves
    - foot guards with pad on the whole foot outsole
    - elbow guard
    - knee guard
    - groin guard

The reasons for my advice are that students who do the exercise should be ready for it. That means they are conditioned to be strong enough to withstand strikes. So body armour is not always needed. The same goes for forearm, shin and mouth piece. I have always believed ,and still believe that gloves and foot guards are used more to protect the health of the target being struck than that of the striker. Wear less gears if the exercise is more partial.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 02-19-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: To correct my view