Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Structure test

Structure test

Hi everybody, i'm new here and i would like to hear opinions or suggests around the structure test described by Sifu Robert Chu in his web site, i mean the palm pressure on chest during Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma.

I practice wong shun leung wing chun, i learned the importance of structure, but i must admit that i fail that test, no matter how i try to straight the spinal column, using the pelvic tilt, lowering the stance ecc... i can stand very well the pressure on my hands, i know how redirect the energy but i can't dissipate it standing in yjkym during a pression on my chest. Your suggests are welcome. Apologize me for my english, i'm not native speaker. Regards
    Last edited by old wang; 02-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old wang View Post
    Hi everybody, i'm new here and i would like to hear opinions or suggests around the structure test described by Sifu Robert Chu in his web site, i mean the palm pressure on chest during Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma.

I practice wong shun leung wing chun, i learned the importance of structure, but i must admit that i fail that test, no matter how i try to straight the spinal column, using the pelvic tilt, lowering the stance ecc... i can stand very well the pressure on my hands, i know how redirect the energy but i can't dissipate it standing in yjkym during a pression on my chest. Your suggests are welcome. Apologize me for my english, i'm not native speaker. Regards
    I would not worry to much about it, because their are many variables to any kind of push . From the pictures it is misleading.

It depends who is pushing and how good their push is and then you can do many different things to keep from being pushed.

But you should eventually be able to neutralize and return a well aimed push if your skill is improving .

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know who your sifu is. Good structure that is both strong and flexible is important in good wing chun.
    Get a sifu who knows how to test structure to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know who your sifu is. Good structure that is both strong and flexible is important in good wing chun.
    Get a sifu who knows how to test structure to help you.
    Well, he is a very good one and showed me this test many times but as i said before i can't pass it. I just like to have some suggest from somebody able to resist this kind of pressure on the chest to understand how improve it.

My advice would be to try to feel the direction of the push. In my experience if the push is straight back or slightly down you can dissipate by adjusting the angle of your upper body and the position of the hips relative to your feet. If the push is upwards you can't dissipate it, you can oppose it by sinking and forwarding or you can yield by rotating but you can't dissipate it.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    My advice would be to try to feel the direction of the push. In my experience if the push is straight back or slightly down you can dissipate by adjusting the angle of your upper body and the position of the hips relative to your feet. If the push is upwards you can't dissipate it, you can oppose it by sinking and forwarding or you can yield by rotating but you can't dissipate it.
    Thank you very much for the advice.

Thank you very much for the advice.
    Your instructor should be able to correct you and tell you why you can't do what he wants.

If you don't have guidance ,you will not improve, a lot of teachers don't or can't teach, or don't have anything to teach, for many different reasons.

It’s all stemming from; your stance structural integrity, while being honest to yourself before you even starts to test your stance. If your stance’s structure doesn’t support the idea of rerouting forward vector force, then no matter how many times you test it, it will never work.

If some reason your stance structure doesn’t support forward vector force; try this one instead. Not saying it’s the say all be all stance. But it really reroutes forward vector force to the floor.

NOTE: about 75% of this is trained mentally

The main keys are bolded *

Step.1
    When being pushed in the chest, *focus on being relaxed. This will take time because I’m not there to help you. *Make your ‘body truck’ very long by bringing your keens about a fist apart; this will truly help you separate your upper and lower extremities by keeping the thighs very relaxed. And it would help develop a very strong heavy base within the lower extremities, while maintaining the idea of staying bottom heavy which helps supplement and develops very soft upper extremities.

Step. 2
    When you feel oncoming force applied to your mother line, *try not to fight it right off, but separate your upper and lower extremities mentally to reroute energy by keeping the thighs relaxed and try not to let the chin move upward and only tilt it down when you feel the integrity of the mother line failing (but only to a level position), and make sure the elbows stays dipped (completely downward) and shoulders completely rounded. It’s a lot more that I could tell you, but this is really all you need to get started with.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Well, he is a very good one and showed me this test many times but as i said before i can't pass it. I just like to have some suggest from somebody able to resist this kind of pressure on the chest to understand how improve it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Puzzled. If your instructor is good he should be able to adjust you.

I would not try to over complicate it with many triangles and new laws of physics ,its not that complicated if understood correctly.

5th through 8th grade math

There is nothing complicated at all about what I'd wrote, all based on 5th through 8th grade math, and nothing more, try not to look at the triangles and arrows if you’re having problems with the math.

I understand what you’re saying ‘Joy’, and it is puzzling, but it’s obvious he needs help or he wouldn’t asks? I don’t think he’s trolling; it just doesn’t come off that way, not insinuating that you think he is ether (trolling).

To me, it wouldn’t make a difference if he has a teacher or not. It is tradition that a warrior who understands himself and the way of combat would prefer only to help then hurt.

I’m not trying to take anything away from you at all. you know your stuff.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Ali- I know that he is not trolling.

Just that on the net there is likely to be a lot of conflicting and confusing opinions.

A simple process that by trial and error can get him there is to have a friend or partner
    gently push him with a hand at chest level from the front, back and two sides while he is in
    yee gee kim yeung ma- and have him feel the force and adjust-pelvis slight tuck, back straight,
    head up, chun in, knees in a comfortable wedge not too in,quads not tight, tummy not tight.not leaning backward or forward,

True, and I also think that the stance structural integrity plays a major roll as well, giving plenty of room for adjustment as one is only fighting against himself in rerouting energy to the floor, when ones original structural arrangement clearly will not allow it. (fu*ked from the start).

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-01-2013 at 09:32 PM.

If one has to make drastic changes to their stance to reroute energy to the floor, then their normal stance/structure is not suitable for combat (Wing Chun).

The key is to do this without any muscular resistance; reroute energy and not force energy.