Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Chinese wrestler's strategy

Blog Entries

Old Chinese wrestling strategy

This clip was filmed about 20 years ago. The old man was my teacher's young brother in his 80. He had competed all his life and never lose in any Chinese wrestling tournament. He earned his nickname as "Big Face (person with dignity)" in Chinese. There are many valuable tips that we can see from this short clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDUQJgK-8RE

1. When you extend your arms, you may lose your striking ability, but since your hands are next to your opponent's wrists, you can restrict your opponent's striking ability too.
    2. You always use your leading leg to jam your opponent's leading leg. This way, your opponent's leading leg won't give you any trouble.
    3. When you jam your opponent's leading leg, you give your opponent 2 options, to step infront of your foot, or to step behind of your foot. You then take advantage on it.
    4. You constantly control both of your opponent's arms.
    5. Under hook is very useful in no-jacket wrestling.

What's you opinion on those "old Chinese wrestling strategies"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-14-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I don't know, maybe post it on a wrestling forum, not martial art forum.

Like Bruce lee would say, I don't push, I hit. Why wrestle.?, unless you are trying to get one of those sword babes.

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Apparently, striking only and wrestling only

would dictate or favor different positioning and stepping.

---

Wrestling is an important part of the martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    So there's no wrestling in TCMA? Wow.....

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This clip was filmed about 20 years ago. The old man was my teacher's young brother in his 80. He had competed all his life and never lose in any Chinese wrestling tournament. He earned his nickname as "Big Face (person with dignity)" in Chinese. There are many valuable tips that we can see from this short clip.

1. When you extend your arms, you may lose your striking ability, but since your hands are next to your opponent's wrists, you can restrict your opponent's striking ability too.
    2. You always use your leading leg to jam your opponent's leading leg. This way, your opponent's leading leg won't give you any trouble.
    3. When you jam your opponent's leading leg, you give your opponent 2 options, to step infront of your foot, or to step behind of your foot. You then take advantage on it.

Makes sense as a great strategy. Contrary to popular belief, wrestling is martial

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    So there's no wrestling in TCMA? Wow.....
    Probably by accident, not planned, made a mistake, last resort...ect

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

While all those things are very useful and true, I wouldn't consider them strategies. They are more along the lines of tactics and are things that most people with 6 months or so of basic high school wrestling figures out.

Strategy is more along the lines of figuring out an overall game plan.

Like Bruce lee would say, I don't push, I hit. Why wrestle.?, unless you are trying to get one of those sword babes.
    Why wrestle? Because someone might be interested in things that work.

Wow, no wrestling and a Bruce Lee quote. I'm guessing a 15 year old, yellow belt karate student.

Wrestling is a martial art. Pay attention and read, you may learn something.

Probably by accident, not planned, made a mistake, last resort...ect
    Chinese wrestling is the oldest traditional martial art in all of China. There were "wrestling" divisions in traditional MA tournaments back in the republican era and it has always been a major feature of Chinese MA culture. Even today, there are numerous professional teams that compete on a circuit in China and there are even regional styles with the main two these days being the Mongolian version and the "Beijing style".

You apparently know next to nothing about traditional Chinese martial arts history and culture.

p.s.

hint: When he says "wrestling" he is not referring to greco-roman, freestyle or catch.

Hey, let's stay on topic instead of dog piling one guy for his opinion?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Fair enough.

It was hard to resist.

Nice vid YKW!

'Jamming' checking front leg is a classic.

Even outside of wrestling checking the front leg and/or standing on the toes is a classic entry. Wushu even evolves its footwork especially to avoid being checked or jammed.

Jin bu di, tui bu gao, Step in low, step back high.

Shi Shou Xu Tui, Xu Shou Shi Tui, Solid hands - empty legs, empty hands- solid legs.

wasn't directed at you only Omar, but thanks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.