Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Old Chinese wrestler's strategy

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Footwork on that first one is present in Praying Mantis.

We specifically train it as a "din bo" switch-up. It's documented in several forms.

That's how it looks in application. Though we tend to do the switch-up more explosively to really blitz through the other guy when in close range.

Technique is specifically for breaking inertia to generate force at close range.
    I use that footwork with a lot of different attacks. Very instantaneous if you train its details correctly.

Really convenient to be able to whip that out at any time.

As these MMA guys get better, you are seeing more TCMA moves being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I don't know, maybe post it on a wrestling forum, not martial art forum.

Like Bruce lee would say, I don't push, I hit. Why wrestle.?, unless you are trying to get one of those sword babes.
    you can't be serious...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

As these MMA guys get better, you are seeing more TCMA moves being used.
    not really. your are just seeing more technique in general. if you see a hip toss, did it come from sumo, judo, greco roman or shuai chiao?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This clip was filmed about 20 years ago. The old man was my teacher's young brother in his 80. He had competed all his life and never lose in any Chinese wrestling tournament. He earned his nickname as "Big Face (person with dignity)" in Chinese. There are many valuable tips that we can see from this short clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDUQJgK-8RE

1. When you extend your arms, you may lose your striking ability, but since your hands are next to your opponent's wrists, you can restrict your opponent's striking ability too.
    i'm not a big fan of that one from an offensive standpoint. defensively it's great because all the space means the guy can't control his hips and throw him. offensively, he wants to eliminate that space.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    i'm not a big fan of that one from an offensive standpoint. defensively it's great because all the space means the guy can't control his hips and throw him. offensively, he wants to eliminate that space.
    wtf you been anyway SS?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

good question. i'm not really sure myself, lol. i'm trying to get a fitness based non profit up and running, so i've been dealing with that. getting ready to apply for my 501c3 status now.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

good question. i'm not really sure myself, lol. i'm trying to get a fitness based non profit up and running, so i've been dealing with that. getting ready to apply for my 501c3 status now.
    That's really cool.

Share any tips or info if you can.

That's something I've got in the back of my mind for when I'm retired. Hopefully sooner than later.

I've got a few years experience in a 501c3 group. Non fitness/martial though.

basically, I want to help eliminate childhood obesity in the city. for the past 3 years, i've been working in a few of the city schools teaching children martial arts, dance, modeling, basketball, etc. the schools pay for it, but are reluctant to pay for the program, so I've decided to apply for my 501c3 status so I can get grants, making out more speaking to the schools. my city is always in the top 5 fattest cities with a 38% obesity rate and I figure one way to help eliminate that is by teaching the kids healthy habits.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

basically, I want to help eliminate childhood obesity in the city. for the past 3 years, i've been working in a few of the city schools teaching children martial arts, dance, modeling, basketball, etc. the schools pay for it, but are reluctant to pay for the program, so I've decided to apply for my 501c3 status so I can get grants, making out more speaking to the schools. my city is always in the top 5 fattest cities with a 38% obesity rate and I figure one way to help eliminate that is by teaching the kids healthy habits.
    Very cool.

I think there's a boxing gym community center here in Oakland that was set up as a 501c3.

I've been thinking more and more that it would be cool to do something like that for kids and old retired people etc.

it's a corny reference, but i'm envisioning something like the angel grove community center that was shown on the old power rangers episodes, combined with the max - that hangout spot the saved by the bell kids went to.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Call it: "The Rainbow Power Tolerance & Choke Out Center"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    We all want to develop our combat skill to the level that "The moment you touch (not grab), the moment you throw." Here is a simple example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9trNykyD2Y

It's not easy to be able to reach to that level. You will need to have good timing and precise contact point. You may also need to "plan" ahead of the time such as:

How can you use your

- kick to put your feet at certain position.
    - punch to put your arm at certain position.

It's easy to throw from a clinching. It's not that easy to throw during fast fists exchanging. Can it be done? It will take a lot of work. That's the modern "combat Chinese wrestling strategy".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We all want to develop our combat skill to the level that "The moment you touch (not grab), the moment you throw." Here is a simple example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9trNykyD2Y

It's not easy to be able to reach to that level. You will need to have good timing and precise contact point. You may also need to "plan" ahead of the time such as:

How can you use your

- kick to put your feet at certain position.
    - punch to put your arm at certain position.

It's easy to throw from a clinching. It's not that easy to throw during fast fists exchanging. Can it be done? It will take a lot of work. That's the modern "combat Chinese wrestling strategy".
    I would not call that a throw, all he did was kick the guys leg out, what is so hard about that ?, more just lucky strike.

Watch Segal for high level throws.

Lol

Blog Entries
    what is so hard about that ?, more just lucky strike.
    The "forward kick (foot sweep)" requires great timing. If you kick too early, it won't work. If you kick too late, it also won't work.

If you can only make it to work once, it's "lucky strike". If you can make it to work everytime, it won't be just "lucky strike".
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument