Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron body training: what is the safest way to do it?

Dragle Guest
    I would like to find out what the exact damages would be. Yes, we no longer have raiding bandit parties to worry about. Now, we have drunken cowboys and rednecks trying to jump us, pin us, and hit us all over because they don't like the looks of us....opps, sorry...that is one of my experiences...hehe.
    The Shaolin still practice the same techniques of old as far as I know. In class we do simular things like taking a non-full force punch in the stomach to practice breathing out when punched....that sort of thing.
    I know that I would like to be able to take a punch better. I know this has all kinda of today's world advantages. So, is there a right way and wrong way to do it? I know by taking it easy and being carefull with iron fist training the calouses don't develop, but my hands are stronger and don't hurt when I punch tough things because I apply the 'Jow and take things slow and easy and give them time to heal... So, is it not the same with iron body?

humblewarrior Guest
    I like that method you do in your class Dragle. Thanks for informing me about it. However, I do not think that it is safe to condition your knuckles. Many iron palm books I have read have said so, as this leads to enlarged knuckles and, quite possibly, arthritis. But if you have evidence that shows otherwise, then please enlighten me. Whose jow do you use for such training? Where can I buy it?

humblewarrior Guest
    I like your method of training to take a punch, Dragle. Thank you for enlightening me. However, I have read that there is no safe way to condition the fist. Many iron palm books have told me this. Such training leads to enlarged knuckles, and , quite possibly, arthritis. But if you have evidence that shows otherwise, then please enligthen me. What kind of jow do you use for such training? where can I buy it? what herbs make it up?

Dragle Guest
    Iron Fist training done wrong could lead to many things like arthritis and such. Most people who are trying it will keep training their hands to the point that they cannot heal.
    A friend of mine went to Chinatown in NY and picked up a bottle of 'Jao for me that seems to work well. I had some minor bruising one day when I switched from sand to gravel in the ole little canvas bag I use to toughen them up, and it worked well to turn the blueish brusies to redish sore spots and shortly after, they were fine (I overdid it a bit, you should not train to the point of bruising probably). I can tell my punches are more powerfull because I can put more power into them without damaging them when they hit something without the fear of hurting the hands.... As soon as they are at a decent level where it won't hurt as much when they hit a person, then I have achived my goal and will cut down severly on my iron fist conditioning. Before they would bleed and such when working out with a bag, and I started to train thinking if some HIV crack/meth fiend attacks me and we mix blood that would be a bad thing. Now, I can hit the bag with full force without any trouble.
    As for a recipie for Dit Da Jao, I've found some at: http://www.aikidofaq.com/making/dit_da_jao.html

Also, do what feels right for you. I am not an expert, just a fellow student. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Dragle (edited 08-24-2000).]

humblewarrior Guest
    Thank You! I really appreciate it.

humblewarrior Guest
    Dragle, you said that you were bleeding when you did this type of training. but the liniment you used has poisonous herbs in it which could kill you if they get into your blood. When you were bleeding after doing this training, dit you just apply the liniment on your hands without the poisonous herbs in it?

Dragle Guest
    Nope, I never applied the 'Jao to my hands when I broke the skin... Just that when I worked out with a bag for the first few times I didn't wear any gloves or anything and they would bleed. I still don't wear gloves, but with the conditioning they have toughened up so they don't bleed anymore.