Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Good article on Wing Chun and MMA

Running (and walking, for that matter) is on one level continuously falling forward while using your feet to stop you landing flat on your face.

Read up on chi or POSE running, which have exactly that as a fundamental part of the technique.

Bolt's torso may be vertical (well actually he IS leaning slightly forward, sorry), but his COG is well ahead of his driving foot - as is the same for one of the other runners.

You should not bend at the waist, but definitely have a slight forward lean, the degree dependent on how fast you are running.

wikipedia:

Elements of good running technique

Upright posture and a slight forward lean
    Leaning forward places a runner's center of mass on the front part of the foot, which avoids landing on the heel and facilitates the use of the spring mechanism of the foot. It also makes it easier for the runner to avoid landing the foot in front of the center of mass and the resultant braking effect. While upright posture is essential, a runner should maintain a relaxed frame and use his/her core to keep posture upright and stable. This helps prevent injury as long as the body is neither rigid nor tense. The most common running mistakes are tilting the chin up and scrunching shoulders.[14]

Lean comes from the ankles, not the waist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

Can we get back to arguing about WC and MMA, rather than how to run? No one on the thread has any apparent expertise in the latter (and it is probable that the same is true of the former)
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-18-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Running (and walking, for that matter) is on one level continuously falling forward while using your feet to stop you landing flat on your face.

Read up on chi or POSE running, which have exactly that as a fundamental part of the technique.

Bolt's torso may be vertical (well actually he IS leaning slightly forward, sorry), but his COG is well ahead of his driving foot - as is the same for one of the other runners.

You should not bend at the waist, but definitely have a slight forward lean, the degree dependent on how fast you are running.

wikipedia:

Elements of good running technique

Upright posture and a slight forward lean
    Leaning forward places a runner's center of mass on the front part of the foot, which avoids landing on the heel and facilitates the use of the spring mechanism of the foot. It also makes it easier for the runner to avoid landing the foot in front of the center of mass and the resultant braking effect. While upright posture is essential, a runner should maintain a relaxed frame and use his/her core to keep posture upright and stable. This helps prevent injury as long as the body is neither rigid nor tense. The most common running mistakes are tilting the chin up and scrunching shoulders.[14]

Lean comes from the ankles, not the waist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

Can we get back to arguing about WC and MMA, rather than how to run? No one on the thread has any apparent expertise in the latter (and it is probable that the same is true of the former)

Technically, you are "leaning" any time you move forward.

Smile

In WC one can clearly move forward without leaning forward, it's in the CK form.

Quote Originally Posted by CRCAUSA View Post
    In WC one can clearly move forward without leaning forward, it's in the CK form.
    I guess you are going to have to define lean here. Without defining what you mean by lean, it's a pretty useless discussion.

A better terminology would be to flex at certain joints. You can move forward without flexing at the hip joint or knee, but you can't move forward without flexing at the ankle joint.

Something has to get you to move your center of gravity past your toes, otherwise you won't move in a forward direction.

Smile

If you knew a little more about WC you would know what I mean not to lean.

If you knew a little more about WC you would know what I mean not to lean.
    You are right about that. Maybe you could enlighten me. Can you point me to a clip that shows an example of that?

Thanks.

Smile

No need, I'm not here to enlighten anyone. If you really want to know I would suggest enrolling in a good WC school.

No need, I'm not here to enlighten anyone. If you really want to know I would suggest enrolling in a good WC school.
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Technically, you are "leaning" any time you move forward.
    LaRoux, You just contradict to yourself big time. You posted a sprinters pictire and told me that they all run without leaning. Here was the picture that you posted.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...37_964x611.jpg

Here was your posts.

Leaning has nothing to do with it. Look at the image of the sprinters I posted above.
    Umm... no. The force of gravity is downward, not forward.
    Now you use the opposite argument to agrue with anerlich. This futher prove that you just want to argue for the sake of argument.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-19-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

What !! Laroux a sh&t stirrer , never !!