Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good article on Wing Chun and MMA

Good article on Wing Chun and MMA

He makes a good point about wing chun lacking reach.

He also makes a great point about relaxation being the result of experience in pressure situations over and over again and not something you can just tell yourself to do.

Also, great points about set-ups, and follow-ups.

One thing he leaves out is the inability of wing chun to develop maximum power.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 02-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    I tout it was very ordinary.

His whole premise was that if a WC guy just relaxed then everything would work out just fine!

I thought it w nonsense

Blog Entries
    Is Wing Chun (TCMA) really effective in the cage?

Just had this discussion in the class this morning. If you want your style to be able to use in the cage, you have to learn how to take advantage on the cage wall such as how to jame your opponent's body against the wall. How to use the cage wall to your advantage and to your opponent's disadvantage. Until you have trained that, your style has not fully adapted into the cage environment yet. The cage fight is a "3 dimension limited space fight". It's not just a fight on a flat open stage.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Ya, I agree that relaxed is good for somethings, but is only part of the equation.

He is totally missing the part about finding the other guy and delivering when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    One thing he leaves out is the inability of wing chun to develop maximum power.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your opinion on this is limited by what you are exposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I thought it w nonsense
    A bit harsh this guy was someone who competed in Muy Thai professionally for 7 years. His points must be worth something...

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your opinion on this is limited by what you are exposed to.

My opinion is informed by a knowledge of how power is produced. Producing maximum power in a horizontal plane requires full body rotation.

Watch Mike Tyson in his early years for one of the best examples of how to do this to produce maximum power. Compare this to the centerline punching of wing chun and you will see the difference.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 02-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.

A bit harsh this guy was someone who competed in Muy Thai professionally for 7 years. His points must be worth something...
    He probably would be more credible as Muy Thai opinion , like one the of the lads said, you can't talk about things you don't know about.

If he knew anything about wc he would know why it does not work good for sport fighting. Sport fighting is all about the rule set, and training within that rule set.

Blog Entries
    When you can generate

- 100% power into the thin air, that's the "fake you".
    - 50% power and hit your opponent, that's the "true you".

It's better to be able to deliever 50% force and hit the target than to deliever 100% force and miss the target. TCMA is more than just power generation. There are timing, opportunity, angle, and balance as well.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    He probably would be more credible as Muy Thai opinion , like one the of the lads said, you can't talk about things you don't know about.

If he knew anything about wc he would know why it does not work good for sport fighting. Sport fighting is all about the rule set, and training within that rule set.
    WC is a martial art and like other martial arts can be adapted for the ring. As an experienced fighter and not someone who claim's street experience, his opinions on how to adapt WC to the ring or street is useful.

Point here is to learn from each other and no be insulting otherwise we won't build up a good knowledge base on this forum.

Also it seems he has been learning WC from some solid leanage, so I believe he must know a thing about WC...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you can generate

- 100% power into the thin air, that's the "fake you".
    - 50% power and hit your opponent, that's the "true you".

It's better to be able to deliever 50% force and hit the target than to deliever 100% force and miss the target. TCMA is more than just power generation. There are timing, opportunity, angle, and balance as well.
    Of course there are many other things besides power generation. However, when it comes to unarmed striking (grappling is a slightly different matter), power generation is huge.

That's one reason you see so many inexperienced fighters begin to flail when they first fight or spar full contact. They quickly realize they need a lot more power and revert to the natural instinct (flailing) to produce that power.

That's the same reason so many people who try to fight with wing chun end up fighting "without wing chun."
    Last edited by LaRoux; 02-17-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

If one is not training for sport, but he is also not training (by training, I mean including the actual scenario) for the street by fighting/sparring full-contact unprotected, with weapons, against multiple opponents, on concrete, in different environments (and anything else that might happen on th3 stre3tz), then he's not really training to be able to do anything at all.

Doing nothing but pretend, light contact street scenarios is not training for the street.

And, the stream of opinions meanders on.

WC is a martial art and like other martial arts can be adapted for the ring. As an experienced fighter and not someone who claim's street experience, his opinions on how to adapt WC to the ring or street is useful.

Point here is to learn from each other and no be insulting otherwise we won't build up a good knowledge base on this forum.

Also it seems he has been learning WC from some solid leanage, so I believe he must know a thing about WC...
    Well you can believe him if you want, based on your experience, I will believe based on my experience, we can all read his claims, but what he says will show his real knowledge.