Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good article on Wing Chun and MMA

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    BTW, what elbow positioning would that be?
    We use low centered, elbow angles to give power of the body behind the punch and defensive arm angles developed from SLT. Like a boxer uses elbows tucked in to protect his body, we use them as we strike out of counters, angling....raised elbows wont allow this simultaneous strike/defense idea to work.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Similar concepts but his elbows are giving away the fact he does not do VT.

Lol.....ya, right, natural elbow has most power, light up another one.

....just charging forwards with punches isn't VT, but it seems the uniformed assume so.
    Vitor landed his first two punches without moving forward. After the second punch, Silva was stunned and falling and moving backwards. Belfort followed, landing additional punches until Silva went down.

What would have been the VT method to follow up once two punches had been landed and the opponent was hurt and falling and moving backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Lol.....ya, right, natural elbow has most power, light up another one.
    Oh no, QI man is back....

We use low centered, elbow angles to give power of the body behind the punch and defensive arm angles developed from SLT. Like a boxer uses elbows tucked in to protect his body, we use them as we strike out of counters, angling....raised elbows wont allow this simultaneous strike/defense idea to work.
    I guess the guy you gave in the example of the VT guy hitting the bag wasn't a VT guy either, considering the fact that there were several instances in which he raised his elbows when delivering punches.

Vitor landed his first two punches without moving forward. After the second punch, Silva was stunned and falling and moving backwards. Belfort followed, landing additional punches until Silva went down.

What would have been the VT method to follow up once two punches had been landed and the opponent was hurt and falling and moving backwards?
    A kick in the nuts 1-2 kick thankyou.

I guess the guy you gave in the example of the VT guy hitting the bag wasn't a VT guy either, considering the fact that there were several instances in which he raised his elbows when delivering punches.
    What ! oh dear lets send him a message and cast shame on him Of course elbows have to raise to punch, its where they all start from that we concentrate on. And nobody's perfect.

A kick in the nuts 1-2 kick thankyou.
    So, instead of capitalizing by continuing forward with the pressure, the PB VT response would have been to attempt a couple of kicks to the nutz?

Seems like a wasted opportunity to me, but to each his own, I guess.

Interesting also that I've never seen any of the PB clips where they are doing training with kicks to the groin.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 02-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.

So, instead of capitalizing by continuing forward with the pressure, the PB VT response would have been to attempt a couple of kicks to the nutz?

To each his own, I guess.

Interesting also that I've never seen any of the PB clips where they are doing training with kicks to the groin.
    I am on a forum not in a gym explaining a host of ways to end a person...it depends on your goals, win a decision in a match, stop a guy in a bar fight...you cant expect one answer, can you ?

We make kicks to body, groin, hips, legs, knees, shins, stomps to feet, sweeps, etc...we also kick stomp heads, necks, joints, groins of guys on floor.

I am on a forum not in a gym explaining a host of ways to end a person...it depends on your goals, win a decision in a match, stop a guy in a bar fight...you cant expect one answer, can you ?

We make kicks to body, groin, hips, legs, knees, shins, stomps to feet, sweeps, etc...we also kick stomp heads, necks, joints, of guys on floor.
    According to you, what Belfort did in capitalizing on the situation by moving forward with pressure and delivering more blows was not the VT way. I was trying to clarify what this VT way would be if this was not it.

Based on your latest answer it seems as if the VT way would have been to do anything except to continue to move forward with pressure and deliver more strikes until he was down.

Like I said, seems kind of inefficient to me, but to each his own, I guess.

According to you, what Belfort did in capitalizing on the situation by moving forward with pressure and delivering more blows was not the VT way. I was trying to clarify what this VT way would be if this was not it.

Based on your latest answer it seems as if the VT way would have been to do anything except to continue to move forward with pressure and deliver more strikes until he was down.

Like I said, seems kind of inefficient to me, but to each his own, I guess.
    You got ALL that from one response of mine ?

Boxing uses full body rotation to develop maximum power, as well as to extend reach, in a fighting situation. These are its strengths. By doing this, it gives up a little bit of ability to follow up quickly with other punches as well as a little bit of defensive ability.

Wing chun doesn't use this full body rotation. This allows for quick successions of punches and a little bit better ability to maintain defensive positions. These are its strengths. It achieves this at the expense of power generation and length of reach.
    This is a recurring theme in martial arts. Everything is a trade off, speed or power, closed and defensive or open and offensive. Always a trade off.

Jab is faster than cross. Cross is stronger than jab.
    Lead hand backfist is quicker and easier to land than a heavy punch, but not as powerful. Spinning backfist can be very powerful but it requires you to "give up" your back, its' a risky move.
    TKD roundhouse is faster and less open than a Thai roundhouse, but Thai roundhouse is stronger.
    A fighter needs to understand when to use which technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

LaRoux,

You seem to have a derisive opinion of most others approaches.
    Seems to me that you should then be able to post your own videos showing how you would apply WC and make it work against a resisting opponent.

I am also curious as to what Law Enforcement experience you may have, I believe you made mention of having such.

Your views on Chin Na also seem to be of someone less informed with little real world applicable experience. Just my opinion but it is based on my experience.

Just to give you an idea of my background I have worked as a Correctional Officer and even taught defensive tactics at the prison. After that I worked as a Philadelphia Housing Police Officer in the projects of Philly and then as a PA State Police Trooper. While I will not claim to be some sort of tuff/tough guy, I can assure you that I have had opportunity to utilize WC and Chin Na in real life situations. Oh, most of the people that I arrested did not wish to go to jail willingly. In all of these situations I can tell you that most situations did not entail me going to the ground,

So, rather than keep giving your view on how others are wrong, how about you step up and explain how to do things the right way???

Eagerly awaiting some videos of you showing application against resisting opponents as well as some detail of any real world experience or LEO background.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

If one can use his WC chain punches like Vitor Belfort did at 5.05 (39 second in the fight) in the following clip, he should have no problem to handle any fighters from any styles.

http://www.videosmma.com.br/ufc/wand...-i-ufc-brasil/
    They aren't WC punches

I never said anything about a full turn. I said full body rotation. By this I mean the whole body must rotate. Boxing generally produces force by rotating the entire body, but it by no means uses a full turn.

Full turns are used for producing even more power. You can see this in things like a tennis forehand, a baseball swing, or a shotput. Full turns are generally not conducive to fighting because they make it difficult to maintain defense and put one out of position for follow-up strikes.

Boxing uses full body rotation to develop maximum power, as well as to extend reach, in a fighting situation. These are its strengths. By doing this, it gives up a little bit of ability to follow up quickly with other punches as well as a little bit of defensive ability.

Wing chun doesn't use this full body rotation. This allows for quick successions of punches and a little bit better ability to maintain defensive positions. These are its strengths. It achieves this at the expense of power generation and length of reach.
    Tll me what part body rotation would be?