Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A CAUTION ABOUT THE AB DOLLY! GREAT ALTERNATIVES!

Mata-Leão Guest

A CAUTION ABOUT THE AB DOLLY! GREAT ALTERNATIVES!

I just thought I'd try to contribute something constructive to this forum, and since martial artists are often into exercise and fitness, I figured some of you might be interested in this:

(By the way, the Ab Dolly is a fitness product that has been advertised agressively recently on cable.)

A CAUTION FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE CONSIDERING BYING THE AB DOLLY!!!

I was looking through posts on a discussion forum about fitness and exercise, and I gleaned the following great advice about the ab dolly:

1) Pros:

a. A person who had been an aerobics and fitness instructor for 15 years said that the type of movement that the Ab Dolly uses has long been recognized as the BEST way to develop abdominal strength (not just the rectus abdominis, but the transverse and obliques, too), as well as strength throughout a full range of motion, and overall good-looking, toned abs.. Many of the hardcore fitness nuts in the forum agreed with her.

b. The Ab Dolly is better designed than things like the "ab wheel" that you can buy at K-Mart in almost every way. You can rest your elbows on it, hold it with your hands, put it under your knees and use it in reverse, etc., etc. Most of the 'experts' in the forum agreed that it was the best ab machine out there, period.

2) Cons:

a. The Ab Dolly is very expensive: over $100 for a small, simple little gizmo.
    b. The sales and customer rep. people are very pushy and rude.
    c. The sales pitch is sneaky and cons a lot of people into buying TWO of them for over $200
    d. THERE ARE CHEAPER ALTERNATIVES THAT WORK JUST AS WELL IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK!!!!!

3) ALTERNATIVES:

a. A "creeper." This little dolly is about the same dimensions as the Ab Dolly and is used by auto mechanics for sliding underneath cars. You can buy one at most auto supply places (and probably the auto section of a lot of hardware-type stores) for under $30.

b. Home Depot sells a couple of different "plant dollies," all for under $15. Some are made of wood, others of metal. Look around and find a good sturdy metal one. They usually stand up to more weight and weigh less themselves. They also have some good quality "decorative" dollies (whatever that means) for around $15 according to one poster. You might need to find a way of putting a pad or cushion on it, but that wouldn't be hard. A $5 bar stool seat from the same hardware store would be perfect.

c. You can get an Ab Wheel at Walmart for $8.95. It is a bit awkward to use at first, you can't rest your elbows on it, so it requires more arm and ab strength, but it can give you the same results.

I. P. Chi Guest
    I’ve always been partial to the blow up love dolly.

Mata-Leão Guest
    Now, look what you've done, Chi. You've soiled my attempt at a serious post on this forum, with your filty street talk. Someone should wash your typing finger off with soap!

JWTAYLOR Guest
    But everyone knows soap makes for a lousy lubricant.
    Oh wait, what where we talking about?
    JWT

Mata-Leão Guest
    I can't believe you guys. I expected to be showered with praise for this post.

"Gee thanks, Mata. We really owe you one. You've gone from being a Gracie-worshipping ******* to one of the most beloved posters in this forum."

But no, all I get are nasty jokes! I just can't win!

[This message has been edited by Mata-Leão (edited 08-23-2000).]

I. P. Chi Guest
    Mata, I read that entire post of yours waiting for the punch line and………nothing. So I added my own. I have taken your advice and washed my nasty finger off with soap. You can’t see it but I’m holding it up in front of the screen for you. (I considered using Sifu Abel’s favorite finger picture for this post, but with the new, kinder, gentler, more moderated KFO, I was worried about repercussions) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I. P. Chi Guest
    Gee thanks, Mata. We really owe you one. You've gone from being a loathful Gracie-worshipper to one of the most beloved posters in this forum.

Mata-Leão Guest
    LMAO! Chi, you are easily the funniest person I've met in a long time.

Thanks for the finger and the sincerity of your complement.

Mata-Leão Guest
    Oh, and sorry for disappointing you by not having a punch line for my original post on this thread. IT IS ACTUALLY A SERIOUS POST.

I have been looking for a good way to work on my abs for a while now, and the dolly/roller thing is definitely the way to go, according to lots of hardcore fitness people.

Iron_Monkey Guest
    A dumbell with weights on it will work just as well. Be careful about compressing your lower spine, though. It's easy to do with those......

Mata-Leão Guest
    Good suggestion, Iron Monkey. I personally think that is one of the reasons why a little "creeper" or dolly would work better. You can rest your elbows on them, and the risk of compressing your spine is WAY less. It is actually a pretty safe exercise if you use some kind of a little dolly instead of using something where you have to extend your arms. Of course, after you've gotten your ab strength up, you can grasp the dolly with your hands if you want to increase the difficulty level.

Another important issue here is correct body position or posture. I don't know how to describe it, exactly, but it involves not brining your hips too close to the ground.

Serpent Guest
    I'm not American! What's a dolly? You have me completely confused! Can anyone describe this equipment and the exercises you use it for please!

benny Guest
    me too can you put a picture up as i dont know what a dolly is anyway(except for the blow up one)
    see ya

Iron_Monkey Guest
    You should keep your back straight, don't go into a yoga-type Cobra or Upward Facing Dog on the thing. For beginners, it might be good to have somthing to rest the elbows on, but if you want more of a work-out, especially in your arms, do it without the support...

Serpent Guest
    Do what already?!?!