Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about parrying drills

Question about parrying drills

I was watching some videos today of a drill where one punches and the other parries and punches and over and over. No idea what it is called since I'm not a wing chun guy lol.

What I noticed is that these practitioners were well out of striking range while doing this. Arm fully extended and quite a bit short of the target. It seems like this would train people to use their techniques outside of the correct distance. Is this common in wing chun? Wouldn't you want to be closer and instead do this drill while pulling thr punch short?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I was watching some videos today of a drill where one punches and the other parries and punches and over and over. No idea what it is called since I'm not a wing chun guy lol.

What I noticed is that these practitioners were well out of striking range while doing this. Arm fully extended and quite a bit short of the target. It seems like this would train people to use their techniques outside of the correct distance. Is this common in wing chun? Wouldn't you want to be closer and instead do this drill while pulling thr punch short?
    Sometimes it can simply be a module to develop hand coordination...VT requires good hand coordination.

Can't you develop that coordination at the appropriate range?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

An Apache proverb--- WOW-mescalero, chiracahua, white river, Arizona, NM, Oklahoma ...?

[QUOTE=JamesC;1212131] No idea what it is called since I'm not a wing chun guy lol.

---------------------------------------------
    Thank heavens.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1212162]
    No idea what it is called since I'm not a wing chun guy lol.

---------------------------------------------
    Thank heavens.
    What? I'm sorry, did I somehow offend you by asking a harmless question?

What I was trying to get at is whether this is a drill used SOLELY for coordination, or is it performed this way because some schools prefer to teach full extention on each strike, etc. Stuff like that.

I realize i'm not part of your "uber-elite wing chun club", but I find it odd that the first thing you do is reply with an insulting comment. It's unprofessional and childish.
    Last edited by JamesC; 02-17-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Can't you develop that coordination at the appropriate range?
    First, you can ignore Vaj. He hasn't posted anything productive in a long while.

Now, here's an explanation of the extended training range for single sticky hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITEDDicoo6Y

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    First, you can ignore Vaj. He hasn't posted anything productive in a long while.

Now, here's an explanation of the extended training range for single sticky hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITEDDicoo6Y
    Thanks LFJ, the answer to my question was explained within the first 2 minutes.

[QUOTE=JamesC;1212165]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

What? I'm sorry, did I somehow offend you by asking a harmless question?

What I was trying to get at is whether this is a drill used SOLELY for coordination, or is it performed this way because some schools prefer to teach full extention on each strike, etc. Stuff like that.

I realize i'm not part of your "uber-elite wing chun club", but I find it odd that the first thing you do is reply with an insulting comment. It's unprofessional and childish.
    I think he may have been suggesting that you not being a WC guy might be a GOOD thing, as you would be without the adversarial attitude, fanboy substyle nuthugging, and lack of aptitude for logic that belongs to many WC stylists.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

[QUOTE=LFJ;1212174]First, you can ignore Vaj. He hasn't posted anything productive in a long while.
    QUOTE]

And he's not alone.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

[QUOTE=anerlich;1212176]

I think he may have been suggesting that you not being a WC guy might be a GOOD thing, as you would be without the adversarial attitude, fanboy substyle nuthugging, and lack of aptitude for logic that belongs to many WC stylists.
    If that's the case, I will definitely apologize for being a twit.

With regard to the drill - I didn't watch the clip but have an imagination - this sort of stuff might be good in small doses to develop cooordination.

It should be easy enough to work it in a range where contact is possible, and even delivered if the parry fails, with a little extra effort.

Looks bad on a vid if you mess that up and someone gets hit, perhaps.

[QUOTE=anerlich;1212177]
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    QUOTE]

And he's not alone.
    Gee, I reckon I've never posted anything productive!

Imo, it's not a good thing to do. I dont know if you've ever trained any martial arts or not, but if not, it's actually a common view that striking out of range with the arms fully extended and short of the target is usually a bad idea. Most people usually realize this once they try it and it fails lol.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Imo, it's not a good thing to do. I dont know if you've ever trained any martial arts or not, but if not, it's actually a common view that striking out of range with the arms fully extended and short of the target is usually a bad idea. Most people usually realize this once they try it and it fails lol.
    Do people actually miss the wallbag because of drilling like this? Do they accidentally stand too far away?

We do various drills, bag work, and sparring with the awareness of range at contact not being fully extended, but to extend and punch through the target once contact is made from close range.

With that awareness I don't know why anyone would extend a punch at a further distance without ever making contact. I don't understand how anyone could mess that up due to a separate training drill where we aren't actually trying to hit a target but develop mechanics.

The uncommitted element of the VT punch is very basic to my understanding.