Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fighting should be the byproduct not the goal

fighting should be the byproduct not the goal

as i get older ,to me it seems there is nothing more foolish or childish or selfish then making your goal of training to be the badest guy on earth. What really is the point? if you are a competitive athlete,or law enforcement,make sense. If you are neither,then make having a strong and healthy body your goal.

This doesn't mean don't spar and don't do partner training and application. All of those are part of the martial arts. And without them you aren't doing martial arts. so any good system will have the byproduct of teaching one to defend oneself. but to walk around all day constantly thinking i can kick this guys ass. this guys style sucks i could whip him is infantile. Beside the fact that there are many ways to kill someone. gun, knife hit them with a car. really if you are over 20 you should try to have a positive goal. everyone has a body and it is pretty dam important to have good health. so train realistically, with this goal in mind. just my though anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    as i get older ,to me it seems there is nothing more foolish or childish or selfish then making your goal of training to be the badest guy on earth. What really is the point? if you are a competitive athlete,or law enforcement,make sense. If you are neither,then make having a strong and healthy body your goal.

This doesn't mean don't spar and don't do partner training and application. All of those are part of the martial arts. And without them you aren't doing martial arts. so any good system will have the byproduct of teaching one to defend oneself. but to walk around all day constantly thinking i can kick this guys ass. this guys style sucks i could whip him is infantile. Beside the fact that there are many ways to kill someone. gun, knife hit them with a car. really if you are over 20 you should try to have a positive goal. everyone has a body and it is pretty dam important to have good health. so train realistically, with this goal in mind. just my though anyway.
    Its only the people with low self esteem that feel they have to fight. You learn to fight so you don't have to fight.

I look at fighting as the goal, but you get a lot of useful byproducts on the way to the goal.

And the byproducts are put to use more often than the fighting goal.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I look at fighting as the goal, but you get a lot of useful byproducts on the way to the goal.

And the byproducts are put to use more often than the fighting goal.
    The same lessons are mirrored in life.

It's only people who have never fought that feel like they can learn to fight without fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    If you have used your "single leg" to take down people when you were young, you want to make sure that you can still use your "single leg" to take down a 20 years old when you are 80. There is a good reason for any old man to train through his old age. That old man wants to maintain his skill and doesn't want to lose to any 20 years old. "Maintain your skill" and "don't want to lose" are good motivation for MA training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-23-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

. "Don't want to lose" and "maintain your skill" are good motivation for MA training.
    Not wanting to get knocked out is also an excellent motivation to perfect your technique.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You learn to fight so you don't have to fight.
    You have watched too many Bruce Lee's movies. You should not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of the heavenly glory!
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You learn to fight so you don't have to fight.
    You have watched too many Bruce Lee's movies. Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of the heavenly glory!
    When you make the goal to learn to fight, you train to an extreme level.

That intensity of training carries over to everything else you do.

When you face other challenges, you bring that intensity with you so you can endure and overcome instead of laying down and giving up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    as i get older ,to me it seems there is nothing more foolish or childish or selfish then making your goal of training to be the badest guy on earth.
    Oneday you may be too old to fight yourself. You will still enjoy to train your students, send them to MMA gyms, and ask them to fight for you.

If they

- win, you know that you are still a good teacher.
    - lose, you'd better change your teaching method, otherwise you won't have any more students.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-23-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Oneday you may be too old to fight yourself. You will still enjoy to train your students, send them to MMA gyms, and ask them to fight for you.

If they

- win, you know that you are still a good teacher.
    - lose, you had better to modify your teaching method, otherwise you won't have any more students.
    You can use your kungfu endurance to spend 13 hours a day rehabilitating a stroke victim.

You can use your listening ability to detect force when the doctors say the patient is paralyzed.

Training the patient to talk and move again uses all your kungfu coaching and teaching abilities.

Yes, I have videos. No, I won't post them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    When you make the goal to learn to fight, you train to an extreme level.

That intensity of training carries over to everything else you do.

When you face other challenges, you bring that intensity with you so you can endure and overcome instead of laying down and giving up.
    After you have killed 10,000 guys, you are finally tired of killing. You don't want to kill any more for the rest of your life. You then have found your "inner peace".

After you have killed 10,000 guys, you are finally tired of killing. You don't want to kill any more for the rest of your life. You then have found your "inner peace".
    I guess I better get started then

You have watched too many Bruce Lee's movies. You should not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of the heavenly glory!
    Lol....I don't think you know which is which.

Every thought about seeing a shrink ?

Some people don't live in Mayberry. Self defence and douchebags are not mutually exclusive. And if your goal was ever to be bad ass, you have a complex that most likely has simply been focused elsewhere once you realized you don't have what it takes to be a killer.