Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rousey's Coach Does Wushu!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    where are they, fact is in the early UFCs and early MMA there were some kung fu guys fighting, just as there were karate and pure grapplers none did well and non have really come through since then and its been over 20 years its not like its a new fad or anything its been here for decades and tcma has still to produce a handful of uys that can compete
    Yeah but it seems more like a cultural resistance and a bad case of denial as opposed to an inability.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Groundfighting.

I added the ellipses because, well, anything can be adapted into anything.
    Yeah, I agree. Maybe I should have been more clear. What I mean is that the foundation is there. There is no mechanical reason why chinna can't be done better. It's all this cultural and tradition crap that holds it back. The whole old is better line of thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always one of the first to shit on CMA for not covering their ranges. I'm just saying that I see no reason why CMA won't be able to take it's place among one of the many MANY bases we see in MMA today. And this coming from a guy who put way more time into MT, wrestling and No Gi than Bak Mei.

No???

Not as shocking as this:

Dem quads.

Also, that marble flooring.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I've witnessed this whole KF vs MMA vs (insert style)...etc argument for so long and for me it always comes back to this. It's not the style that wins the fight, it's the fighter.

I mean the human body can only move in a certain way so you either learn punch a, b, c... or kick a, b, c... or throw a, b, c... or joint lock a, b, c...etc correctly or incorrectly no matter what style. What really separates fighters is their size differences, strength, conditioning, years of experience and how well they understand what has been taught to them, if they learned it correctly in the first place.

Some styles might teach it better or give you more of a tool box of skills/techniques to use but in the end it all boils down to what works best for the fighter.

I doubt the temple monks of old discounted ground techniques or shuai jiao wouldn't have been refined from a Mongolian wrestling bout with bull horn hats to what it has become today. Chin-Na as well. I'm sure the monks practiced it all and exchanged ideas with traveling masters of all disciplines for centuries which means they kept what worked and mostly tossed out what didn't.

As for MMA, it seems to me that it is taught with less complications much like an army might teach the troops so it allows the student to advance more quickly. TCMA takes a longer approach but neither method is necessarily wrong.

There isn't anything wrong with any style as long as it teaches the techniques correctly. I think the worst thing a fighter can do is be resistant to learning from other styles. This leads to bottlenecks and we all have opinions of which styles suffer from this. I say cross-train and learn what works for your own anatomy and for goodness sakes spar a little. Learn what the master/coach is teaching until you can make it your own with your own style and flavor.

Stepping off soap box...

it's not the fighter either - it's the training methods, imo.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

the dude seems pretty awesome to me. I like his approach. Sounds like he busts out the Wushu in the steam room or when they've had a bit of the hooch. Just like any old school TCMAer I've ever known.

Just be tough and keep it realz. Do the pretty stuff to show off for the cameras and the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    the dude seems pretty awesome to me. I like his approach. Sounds like he busts out the Wushu in the steam room or when they've had a bit of the hooch. Just like any old school TCMAer I've ever known.

Just be tough and keep it realz. Do the pretty stuff to show off for the cameras and the girls.
    Lol...when I was younger I used to do this little routine with kip up, hand spring, flip kick, and some flying spinning stuff...my Sifu said, "Very nice, but what do you use it for?" I said, "Impressing girls at the park." He liked that answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Not as shocking as this:

Yeah havent posted in a while i just wanna come in and say

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Are we having this same argument again???

There's no pure anything in MMA. Saying that CMA isn't part of today's MMA is @ssinine. The original post starting this thread pretty much proves it with video. The guy's demonstrating Wushu and yes - he's Rousey's current head coach. She sought him out. He rejected her initially - and yes this is after Lebell, and Gokor... but she obviously thought she was missing something and this coach, this team is providing that something, and her current head coach has a CMA background! Is that the only thing she's learning? H3ll no, don't be stupid. You need a good background in a lot of aspects from a lot of different arts to be any good.

Why are we having the fuc*tarded MMA vs TCMA argument when CMA is part of MMA? There's no vs - it's part of MMA just like Judo's part, boxing's part, BJJ is part, Thai Boxing's part - there's a lot of parts to MMA. Process that in your brains already.
    because some idiot started a thread about her coach doing wushu.....big deal when she starts winning with those techniques in the clip and not her takedowns and armbars then this thread has a point, until then its clutching at straws

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Yeah but it seems more like a cultural resistance and a bad case of denial as opposed to an inability.
    umm no Americans and Europeans have been training tcma for decades theres no cultural resistance with them, they entered originally just didnt do too well and nothings happened since

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    because some idiot started a thread about her coach doing wushu.....big deal when she starts winning with those techniques in the clip and not her takedowns and armbars then this thread has a point, until then its clutching at straws
    This made me laugh, except for the part where you insulted this man for posting a cool video. Sounds like a lot of chest thumping and bravado. Do you feel better now, I hope so...

The clip in the OP is of a coach performing a very little bit of Wushu for fun. I bet if she smacked a fighter around with that staff or stabbed them with the broken shard it'd win a fight but that would be against the rules now wouldn't it. Sure, she likes the arm bar because it's working for her but that arm bar can be found in Chin-Na, Shuai Jao, Kali Arnis, Judo...etc so which martial art should get the credit, none, it's the person who used the technique that gets the credit.

This is the main difference between the styles as I see it. MMA has components of ALL martial arts hence the name "mixed martial arts" and will work fine for self defense but it really isn't suited for that since you definitely don't want to go to ground in that situation, or you may get the boot stomp from one of your opponents buddies while you're attempting that arm bar. One on one, okay then but not for groups or war. There's just a different mentality and thats why I think some have failed in the ring that have come from traditional backgrounds. CMA, TCMA, KF whatever acronym you want to put on it was developed for war and self defense so the training methods and approach are completely different. Put that person in the ring and they flounder because all of the sudden the eye gouges, throat ripping and other rude techniques can't be used but those techniques are fine for what they originally started training for and that's self defense/war. Still, with that said there's almost nothing that beats a really hard punch to the face to bend the will of an attacker to the direction you want it to go.

Okay, off my soap box again...

Eh... Frost's just a bit slow. He'll get it in a couple of years or so.

Fact is, it's not TMA or CMA vs MMA. MMA has components of CMA & TMA in it. CMA and TMA are part of MMA.

There's enough proof on vid to support this. I've posted a clip from a UFC match of a Huen Choy used to Knock a Mofo out, there's Cung Le, and now there's the vid I just posted.

Anyway - dude's cool in my book since the big bear vids show that he likes the two things I happen to like in Martial Arts. CMA and Judo.
    Last edited by MightyB; 02-21-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Exclamation Caution

Beware of any "hot chick" pics that master killer posts. You can't trust it to be a woman. Just remember the swinging beef animated gif he found!

Eh... Frost's just a bit slow. He'll get it in a couple of years or so.

Fact is, it's not TMA or CMA vs MMA. MMA has components of CMA & TMA in it. CMA and TMA are part of MMA.

There's enough proof on vid to support this. I've posted a clip from a UFC match of a Huen Choy used to Knock a Mofo out, there's Cung Le, and now there's the vid I just posted.

Anyway - dude's cool in my book since the big bear vids show that he likes the two things I happen to like in Martial Arts. CMA and Judo.
    That's cool. It appears that you and Frost have a friendly banter back and forth so all's well. I hope I didn't offend anybody. As a noobie I'm still trying to understand all of the relationships on this forum which intertwine like a pretzel lined with barbed wire.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    That's cool. It appears that you and Frost have a friendly banter back and forth so all's well. I hope I didn't offend anybody. As a noobie I'm still trying to understand all of the relationships on this forum which intertwine like a pretzel lined with barbed wire.
    we have a love hate relationship going