Thread: WCK and Ground Fighting

Threaded View

WCK and Ground Fighting

On another thread that got out of control with challenges, videos were posted up of Randy Williams where he is teaching ground fighting. Here's one defense to the RNC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLWTQEoV9Nk

Here's another teaching some kind of MMA attack on the turtle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VikQ9NrNx8g

We have a Dave Camarillo BJJ black belt on here defending these videos and saying they represent valid options involving ground fighting in a real situation.

I disagree. I also was kind of amazed a Dave Camarillo black belt (CRCAVA) would state things like that.

Here's the exact problems I see with the two videos:

1) RNC - first, the non-choking hand is sunk behind the neck. This is very deep, and immediate attention must be give to unraveling this or you won't have time to throw anyone over your head before escaping because you'll be out. second, dropping to one knee like that will be an open invitation for even a BJJ white belt to jump on the back and sink hooks in, thus isolating the body and preventing being thrown over randy's head. this is completely the wrong thing to do there. even the standard step behind the guys legs, lift him and slam that's taught as a self-defense to the full nelson is a more plausible technique in that situation than what Randy is teaching.

2) Turtle Attack - randy starts with stepping on the hand, after which ends any valuable info being communicated. He is teaching a smash first, but there is no contact at all between randy's chest and the turtled guy's chest. Thus there is plenty of space for the bottom guy to escape. Next, he shows two "smash" elbows. The first is more normal, the second turns his back on the opponent to strike, with space. This is asking for his back to get taken. The leg grab and smash as well as the supposed ankle break are completely valueless and will accomplish nothing at all. Believing they will do something is downright dangerous.

Now I'm not making a summary judgement on all of randy's ground fighting stuff. I mean I'm glad he's at least addressing it, which is more than most. But why on earth he would be teaching that garbage rather than having a Dave Camarillo black belt teach better technique, I have no clue.

Ideas?
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 02-19-2013 at 09:42 AM.