Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 questions

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I wouldn't know. I've always been taught to hit with the first two. Everyone else I know that has been in a fight other than in the ring isn't trained so it would be hard to tell.
    I can confirm this. I'm a rad tech (x-ray tech). Majority of all boxer fractures I have seen was either the ring or little finger. Mostly the little finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I can confirm this. I'm a rad tech (x-ray tech). Majority of all boxer fractures I have seen was either the ring or little finger. Mostly the little finger.
    Technically, that's what a boxer's fracture is. The 4th or 5th metacarpal.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Technically, that's what a boxer's fracture is. The 4th or 5th metacarpal.
    Not necessarily. It's rare but I've seen it occuring to the 2nd or 3rd metacarpal bones. It's a boxer's fracture as long as it resulted from punching a solid object like a wall.
    Last edited by Bernard; 02-21-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Not necessarily. It's rare but I've seen it occuring to the 2nd or 3rd metacarpal bones. It's a boxer's fracture as long as it resulted from punching a solid object like a wall.
    Maybe Dale's Iron Palm video will keep your bones from cracking ?

Or early arthritis .

Fractures occur when the fist hits a solid area at the wrong time in the wrong way, under those circumstances it doesn't matter that much WHERE on the knuckles you hit.
    Boxers tend to fracture that area because of hooks or looping punches rather than straight shoots.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Fractures occur when the fist hits a solid area at the wrong time in the wrong way, under those circumstances it doesn't matter that much WHERE on the knuckles you hit.
    Boxers tend to fracture that area because of hooks or looping punches rather than straight shoots.
    This is the gist of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Maybe Dale's Iron Palm video will keep your bones from cracking ?

Or early arthritis .
    Couldn't hurt, but primarily we should pay attention to how we hit and what targets.

My 1st teacher was not into iron palm. For some reason he thought it contributed to arthritis. His classmate who also teaches said the same thing. Their fist both feel like a rock.

I like to hit the walls sometimes but do so sparingly. Who knows, maybe my teacher's right. My wife would tell me to cut it out and buy a heavy bag but we don't have the space for it.
    Last edited by Bernard; 02-21-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This is the gist of it!

Couldn't hurt, but primarily we should pay attention to how we hit and what targets.

My 1st teacher was not into iron palm. For some reason he thought it contributed to arthritis. His classmate who also teaches said the same thing. Their fist both feel like a rock.

I like to hit the walls sometimes but do so sparingly. Who knows, maybe my teacher's right. My wife would tell me to cut it out and buy a heavy bag but we don't have the space for it.

This +This = /thread
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This is the gist of it!

Nah, i know people who have been doing it over 15 years and no arthritis. It all depends how you practice, if you're an idiot and go overboard then possibly. An iron palm stand takes up little space, or get a makiwara board or hanging canvas bag with the compartments, it's fairly reasonable and is better than nothing right? Plus it has give unlike the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Nah, i know people who have been doing it over 15 years and no arthritis. It all depends how you practice, if you're an idiot and go overboard then possibly. An iron palm stand takes up little space, or get a makiwara board or hanging canvas bag with the compartments, it's fairly reasonable and is better than nothing right? Plus it has give unlike the wall.
    I kinda like the makiwara board. But never gotten around to it. I always got something else that i needed to spend my money on. The latest is getting hurricane clips & PV solar panels installed on my roof.

If you're a handyman you can make one from an old tire and a piece of plywood.

If you're a handyman you can make one from an old tire and a piece of plywood.
    Great! Thanks buddy.

No problem! Hopefully it helps.

Most horizontal punches (chongquan) in the Shaolin boxing sets are not actually punches in application, but tend to be various throws. Punching comes from the vertical side palm structure (tuizhang)- vertical fist, elbow down.

Punching with the lower three knuckles is done in the vertical, elbow down punch where the the lower three knuckles are extended forward bringing them in line with the forearm bones, giving them support. Although the punch is straight, extending the lower knuckles causes the fist to rise in angle, which directs reactionary force into the stance with the elbow near the hip. Reactionary force is sent through the elbow, hip, and heel as the angle of the forearm with the elbow down is reflected in the lower rear leg of the fighting stance, thus sending more power into the target or into the ground to solidify the stance.

The vertical, elbow down punch also allows for simultaneous attack and defense. You lose all of the above in a horizontal punch with the first two knuckles. With the elbow up, reactionary force is lost through the shoulder and the function of simultaneous attack and defense (with a single limb) is also lost.

I broke the bone behind my little finger knuckle before. Happened during multiple punches. Broke it badly, I must have miss hit several times.

During training however the most annoying I find is injuring the thumb. Where it is tucked under the fist it can get caught and pushed backwards. Especially when your partner is partial to using the elbows to block. When you push through and really try to hit him it catches on the guard.

So much so I have taken to often holding the thumb to the side, or even partially inside the fist (joint still outside but nail tucked in). Sounds weird I know but it has its advantages.