Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What style is this?

What style is this?

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here a while and finally decided to join. Can someone tell me what style (of what I presume is kung fu) is being demonstrated by this police officer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLkqwQrCS8

(I did a search to see if this video was posted here, but couldn't find anything that matched the video title)

well to be honest ALL kung fu has these techniques, with the exception some styles dont have throwing.

However these are just basic joint manipulation and locks orginating from Eagle claw and the throws are from shuai jiao
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Thanks for the information, EarthDragon! As you can guess I'm a noob when it comes to kung fu although not to martial arts (5 years muay thai and about 10 years western boxing). Those techniques caught my eye in that they look awesome and more practical than grappling styles that only work on the ground.

Do you have a list of grappling styles that work only on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Do you have a list of grappling styles that work only on the ground?
    In Chinese martial arts it is uncommon. There is a cultural repulsion to rolling around on the ground. It's seen as unseemly.

having said that, wrestling is a sport in many regards, but you will be hard pressed to find any major Chinese martial arts style outside of SC that has any wrestling in it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

typical chin na/arrest and control

taught to the gung an (public security) and other police units. They are taken from traditional martial arts but arranged as a course for officer training.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Hello everyone, I've been lurking here a while and finally decided to join. Can someone tell me what style (of what I presume is kung fu) is being demonstrated by this police officer?

(I did a search to see if this video was posted here, but couldn't find anything that matched the video title)
    Like ED said, it's a combination of different arts. But, if you want to learn how to do what that officer's doing, look at Combat Shuai Jiao. YouKnowWho is a leader in CSJ and posts a lot of information about it on these forums.

Pay no attention to this clip because it's from an inferior martial arts magazine... it's a good clip though and shows CSJ's founder in action.
    Last edited by MightyB; 02-18-2013 at 02:17 PM.

It's actually what Rovere just said it was. (seeing as he has studied and written about Chinese police and military kung fu training, I'll defer to him. )

I don't see the chin na as particularly eagle claw either.
    But all those chin na moves seen in the clip can be found in most if not all courses of traditional kung fu to some extent.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

DJ
    QUOTE]I don't see the chin na as particularly eagle claw either[/QUOTE]
    Really? thats all I see, all those techniques which I know by name came from Eagle IMHO. what are you seeing that am not
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post

Really? thats all I see, all those techniques which I know by name came from Eagle IMHO. what are you seeing that am not
    In that Kum Na, it is fairly "generic" as far as chin na goes. Chin Na is a whole set of locks, seizes and holds that isn't particular to any system or style. I see the same types of grabs seizes and holds there as I've seen in Hung schools, bak sil lum, choy li fut and of course as you indicate, eagle claw.

But it's Chin Na in a broader sense than to say "that is eagle claw style". Eagle Claw has Chin Na as well of course.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post

It is a police defensive system derived from a few systems incorporating basic self defense techniques In the foundations of the modern mainland army, hsingyi was used a model for teaching conscripts and PSB folks.
    Last edited by mawali; 02-19-2013 at 09:09 AM.

DJ, totally understand, however I was under the impression that eagle claw was the orginator of many of those locks. and the other styles picked them up from EC. but I might be totally off there
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Looks like generic army/military san da(free fighting) which as stated by others is just bits and pieces from different arts mixed together.

Modern san shou/san da(tournement kick boxing) is based off this military version.
    There is no technique that speed cannot defeat......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't see the chin na as particularly eagle claw either.
    The longfist system has Chin Na too. Longfist GM Han Chin-Tang was a Chin Na master. After you have compare Chin Na between longfist and eagle claw, you will see that eagle claw has much more detail.

Here is an example. The small circle wrist lock exists in almose all TCMA system. Most systems use downward pushing force. If your opponent raise his elbow to cancel out your downward force, an eagle claw guy will change it into a horizontal force. If your opponent turns his body to cancel out your horizontal force, a eagle claw guy will change it into a pulling force. In "eagle claw", it's called "三把腕子(San Ba Wan Zi)". I just don't see this level of detail in other TCMA systems.

I'm a longfist guy. I should try to defend the longfist system from the eagle claw system. But truth is truth. The longfist is good for foundation and eagle claw is good in Chin Na. Both styles serve different purposes.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-21-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Thank you for explaing YKW I thought I was on the right track with E.C

We also have all the locks from EC in our system as Feng Hua Yi was a EC master before learning 8 step form Chiang Hua Long. I believe we have the details that you are speaking about because we are taught counters to the locks and then counters to the counters. etc etc
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 02-22-2013 at 02:49 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan