Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Angles, Chum Kiu, the Blind Side, and Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Agree about his lack of height. He turned a natural weakness into a overwhelming strength.

You met him. What do you think his real height is? I think he was listed at 5'11", but I think that was overstated.
    I've met him a few times in local clubs here in AZ a while back. I'm 5'10" and he seemed a little shorter than me, so I'm thinking the 5'11" is a bit of a stretch. But then, I didn't compare sole heights of our shoes at the time...
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That was a great clip showing Tyson's foot work.
    That footwork would not work ( as well) in WC because, well, Tyson's style is more "hung garish" than "wing chunish". . .
    That footwork looks just like the Wing Chun I do.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    A good clip.
    Opinions can vary on it's relevance for wing chun.
    Expressing an opinion- not debating.

Of course Tyson is not doing wing chun but some wing chun folks can see/recognize some relevant principles..

fairly square bodied and much of the time equally balanced . . .
    All Wing Chun doesn't fight square bodied. Pin San Wing Chun doesn't and neither does TWC.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    All Wing Chun doesn't fight square bodied. Pin San Wing Chun doesn't and neither does TWC.
    When you don't have to protect your balls from getting hit by feet , knees, chops , punches, grabs...etc, footwork can look like anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You are correct Phil. But I don't do Pin San and I don't do TWC. I was referring to those who do more square bodied wing chun. But even in those squared body systems there are some seemingly side bodied work where a shoulder comes into play.

The context of the discussion included Tyson and some points of similarities with wing chun.
    Probably "some forms of wing chun"- would be better.

When Tyson moved away from Kevin Rooney after Cus D'Amatos death and made a mess of his training and private life and picking his corner team, he began to lose. By the time of the Douglas fight the peekaboo and it's related geometry had eroded. Although Tyson was small for a heavyweight-before Douglas and Lewis he fought people much larger than himself.

D'Amato (Ali initially wanted him in his corner but Cus was withdrawn at that time and declined)-
    boxers were for the most part square bodied, peekaboo hands had the center closed- was generally true of Patterson, Kevin Rooney, Terry Atlas, Jose Torres and Tyson and several others..

Sifu and Mike in Vegas.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Sifu and Mike in Vegas.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Great pic Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Great pic Phil.
    Yes it is Joy. They spent two days together in Vegas this a couple months ago.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Yes it is Joy. They spent two days together in Vegas this a couple months ago.
    Great pic. What was the occasion? Any training, or something else?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Amen to that. I come back to browse and these TWC haters are still discussing the same old topics they were discussing several years ago.