Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Angles, Chum Kiu, the Blind Side, and Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I never step to the side unless my sparring partner has moved first then I cut his way much like a boxer cuts off the ring. Chum Kiu teaches you a certain way of fighting that enables you to turn the opponent away from you and take away his ability to attack with the rear arm. As you are no longer facing them square on they must turn to try and hit you back. In this moment we intercept that strike and the opponent actually makes his own mistake and releases you to his other side where he will be faced with the same problem.

We are constantly removing ourselves from the direct firing line but still allowing ourselves to make contact with both attacking limbs.

Its a hard thing to explain Glenn but easy to show. I was not exposed to this strategy is previous VT lineages. It was one of the eye openeners for me.

Every action should attack the opponents attack unlike other systems such as the Ip Chun lineage where they are always stepping to the side or pivoting away. In my lineage we go in the opposite direction to Ip Chun
    Thats much how id do it, we dont turn for the sake of it and im not a fan of turning strikes in WC, you lose facing which to me is one of the main ideas of WC

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I never said there wasnt power, just not as much as a boxer.

Pound for pound, they hit harder
    I agree and the reason is that from day one in the gym they are trying to improve the punch. A lot of VT systems don;t have that. They get stuck on each others arms and have no real power. They can egg whisk the air very well though.

Another thing given attention to in my lineage, increasing punching power. The dummy, wall bag, poon sau and the long pole are just a few methods that help punching power and precision.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Thats much how id do it, we dont turn for the sake of it and im not a fan of turning strikes in WC, you lose facing which to me is one of the main ideas of WC
    I Agree........

Here's a question. When Tyson does his step off the check hook, is the energy on the bridge dictating where his feet land? Or is he manufacturing some extra movement to get there?

therein to me lies the WCK concept or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Here's a question. is the energy on the bridge.
    I'm don't know what that means

I never step to the side unless my sparring partner has moved first then I cut his way much like a boxer cuts off the ring. Chum Kiu teaches you a certain way of fighting that enables you to turn the opponent away from you and take away his ability to attack with the rear arm. As you are no longer facing them square on they must turn to try and hit you back. In this moment we intercept that strike and the opponent actually makes his own mistake and releases you to his other side where he will be faced with the same problem.

We are constantly removing ourselves from the direct firing line but still allowing ourselves to make contact with both attacking limbs.

Its a hard thing to explain Glenn but easy to show. I was not exposed to this strategy is previous VT lineages. It was one of the eye openeners for me.

Every action should attack the opponents attack unlike other systems such as the Ip Chun lineage where they are always stepping to the side or pivoting away. In my lineage we go in the opposite direction to Ip Chun
    Well put............

Here's a question. When Tyson does his step off the check hook, is the energy on the bridge dictating where his feet land? Or is he manufacturing some extra movement to get there?

Of course it the energy on the bridge. In one of the clips you can see how he missed it and flailed away to regain position. Then he went again and lights out.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

I'm don't know what that means
    We have a "feet follow hands" type of kuen kuit saying that is trained up with drilling from beginning. The idea is that energy on the bridge dictates your footwork because you hold your structure true rather than elbows and limbs collapsing in on yourself from the bridge.

What is "the bridge"?

What is "the bridge"?
    Any kind of persistent contact between you and your opponent. something between you and your striking target. chi sau forearm contact is a bridge. some people translate chum kiu as "sinking the bridge" I've heard but I'm no Chinese term expert.

And, of course, something you must drive over before you can pillage your opponent's village
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 02-20-2013 at 03:59 PM.

[QUOTE=GlennR;1212914]I think the word "athletically" is the key. Tyson bob-weave style combined with a lot of lateral footwork is taxing (compare it to what a Klitschko does) IMO opinion its a younger boxers style and hard to maintain as you get older. Frazier is another that comes to mind that peaked when he was young.

((True))joy

Exactly, but they actively transfer weight on the turn, adding power that WC just doesnt have available.

((Not necessarily true.There is a lot of footwork in my lineage-don't lose power))Joy

Any kind of persistent contact between you and your opponent. something between you and your striking target. chi sau forearm contact is a bridge. some people translate chum kiu as "sinking the bridge" I've heard but I'm no Chinese term expert.

And, of course, something you must drive over before you can pillage your opponent's village
    Ah ha, thats where we differ. There is no persistent contact in my lineage. Perhaps where distancing is concerned but definately not the forearm. Only in certain drills.

Not exactly sure wjhat you are trying to get across here??

We have a "feet follow hands" type of kuen kuit saying that is trained up with drilling from beginning. The idea is that energy on the bridge dictates your footwork because you hold your structure true rather than elbows and limbs collapsing in on yourself from the bridge.
    Got you now, no, id say its the range and angle he's looking for dictates his step.

I dont think the bridge is really concerning him that much

((Not necessarily true.There is a lot of footwork in my lineage-don't lose power))Joy
    Didnt say there wasnt any power Joy, just not as much