Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not hit instead of Bong!

Why not hit instead of Bong!

Hi

Another example of bong being used when a simple punch would do the job quicker!

Why oh Why??? do people practice this stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGu9O6Ftgz8

Jim.

Well, his hands are down to represent an off guard position. In that case the elbow travels a shorter distance to intercept the punch in an emergency (paau-bong). My beef with it would be the follow up. Just punch through the new line created through the bong-sau elbow. I'm not so sure you can snatch a fast punch out of the air, especially after you've already bonged it. Never been much of a fan of that, although it seems so many people do it as a typical "Wing Chun technique".

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Well, his hands are down to represent an off guard position. In that case the elbow travels a shorter distance to intercept the punch in an emergency (paau-bong). My beef with it would be the follow up. Just punch through the new line created through the bong-sau elbow. I'm not so sure you can snatch a fast punch out of the air, especially after you've already bonged it. Never been much of a fan of that, although it seems so many people do it as a typical "Wing Chun technique".
    looks good on film

Um I get that if your hands are down and its sort of an emergency technique used at very close range ie no other option. This was not the girl is throwing a long range punch and his response Bong sau! for example at 8.20

Jim.
    Last edited by jimhalliwell; 02-19-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    looks good on film
    lol yea!

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    Um I get that if your hands are down and its sort of an emergency technique used at very close range ie no other option. This was not the girl is throwing a long range punch and his response Bong sau!

Jim.
    I'm yet to find somebody that can stop a punch with this Bong Sau idea especially from short distance. I used to have that idea in another lineage. Ok if they know its coming but not ok if they don't.

The only emergency technique needed if you get blindsided and your hands down is 999 (911) one........unless you are lucky of course

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I'm yet to find somebody that can stop a punch with this Bong Sau idea especially from short distance. I used to have that idea in another lineage. Ok if they know its coming but not ok if they don't.

The only emergency technique needed if you get blindsided and your hands down is 999 (911) one........unless you are lucky of course

Best technique by far is to respond with a punch!

Best technique by far is to respond with a punch!
    True Jim but in the context that a lot of systems use it is for deflecting an incoming punch with the hands down as the elbow is the nearest part to respond. They use the three stepping bong sau actions in chum kiu and that becomes the application for it. I don't agree because, like I said, if you are expecting the punch then it is possible but if you are not then you will get hit.

The other thing that people miss when attaching that application inside chum kiu is that when you are being attacked for real getting your elbow up as the first response will not be at the top of the list.

Things that work in the classroom may not work in real life. People have to be aware of that and ridiculous applications like that and the one shown in the video should be disregarded IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    True Jim but in the context that a lot of systems use it is for deflecting an incoming punch with the hands down as the elbow is the nearest part to respond. They use the three stepping bong sau actions in chum kiu and that becomes the application for it. I don't agree because, like I said, if you are expecting the punch then it is possible but if you are not then you will get hit.

The other thing that people miss when attaching that application inside chum kiu is that when you are being attacked for real getting your elbow up as the first response will not be at the top of the list.

Things that work in the classroom may not work in real life. People have to be aware of that and ridiculous applications like that and the one shown in the video should be disregarded IMO
    Hi

I remember twenty plus years ago having this and other nonsense rammed down my throat at loads of Wing Chun schools! I Could never make it work for real and finally realized that in the end no one can make it work!

Cheers Jim.

Hi

I remember twenty plus years ago having this and other nonsense rammed down my throat at loads of Wing Chun schools! I Could never make it work for real and finally realized that in the end no one can make it work!

Cheers Jim.
    LOL

Correct. I had the same rubbish rammed down mine as well

At distance, I agree with the punch response. However, the CK paau-bong response for the hands down, emergency situation was, I believe, taught by WSL. The difference though is that this guy is just shifting in place, not stepping. In use you will step aside, still in punching range, as you throw the bong, rather than in the direction as in CK, or just standing in place. Also the laap-sau followup is nonsense. Should just punch through the line created by the elbow. As far as I've seen, this use of paau-bong is present in PB's system for when under the opponent's arms, followed by punches. The hands down, close range situation is basically that.

'When the hand is free,hit.' negates so many of these moves like bong /lop.When the hand is free hit with the whole structure
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Hi

Another example of bong being used when a simple punch would do the job quicker!

Why oh Why??? do people practice this stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGu9O6Ftgz8

Jim.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Of course, your choice. But why make a thread out of the video of a very commercial guy with
    incomplete wing chun training?

There is much junk out there!!

Joy, almost every basic intro to Wing Chun video shows this "technique", not just this guy. Randy Williams, who has been under discussion lately also shows it. It's like the typical Wing Chun move everyone does. That's a problem if it's to be representative.

At distance, I agree with the punch response. However, the CK paau-bong response for the hands down, emergency situation was, I believe, taught by WSL. The difference though is that this guy is just shifting in place, not stepping. In use you will step aside, still in punching range, as you throw the bong, rather than in the direction as in CK, or just standing in place. Also the laap-sau followup is nonsense. Should just punch through the line created by the elbow. As far as I've seen, this use of paau-bong is present in PB's system for when under the opponent's arms, followed by punches. The hands down, close range situation is basically that.
    Ok mate, I don't want to get bogged down in what he taught or what he didn't. It makes no odds really.

I don't have that application in my system. Maybe WSL had other ideas when he was teaching my lineage on that day

There is only one Bong Sau. You cannot Bong Sau with the elbow above the opponents arm can you? lol

Bong Sau = explosive rotation of the elbow to make way for the punch. The two together make Kwan Sau. In CK we are developing the syncronicity of Bong and the punch (wu sau) accompanied with the cutting step. There is no application. Just mechanics.

You haven't met PB have you? I imagine you are trying to get your ideas from video. Not a good idea. If you were present that day you would have the correct idea

There is no videos that I am aware of on YouTube where PB explains the concepts of CK and specifically this bong/wu bit.