Thread: Jedi Academies

Jedi Academies

just getting ready for clone wars

jedi gym
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I can't get my head around this today...

You must watch the video in my previous post along with this article...
    Around West County: Using the force: Martial arts studio trains Jedi knights
    ANNAPOLIS
    By DONNA M. FELLOWS For The Capital
    Published August 27, 2008

In conjunction with the release of the movie "The Clone Wars," Shelton Martial Arts Studio in Odenton recently hosted an open invitation for students and non-students to experience what a candidate (padawan) in training might experience on the road to becoming a Jedi.

More than 40 students and guests filled the studio for this special event.

Master Larry Shelton and Master Samuel Slater, along with senior students, led the evening's events in full Jedi master regalia, and welcomed the young padawans to the evening training session.

"A Jedi, like a martial artist, has three main aspects (body, mind and guiding principles) to develop before he can become a Jedi," Larry said to the group. "Body development - the first aspect a Jedi must develop - conditions the body to be strong, flexible and as agile as possible.

"Both the Jedi and the martial artist have to prepare themselves to be able to handle any situation they find themselves in. The ability to move quickly without effort and to defend and react without thought is as important to the Jedi as it is to the martial artist."

The group was then led through a series of exercises and stretches to help them in their training.

The next aspect of their training was the development of their minds. Much like the martial artist, a Jedi maintains a clear mind.

"This training will help a Jedi and a martial artist discipline their mind to ignore distractions from external influences, making task completion more successful," Larry said. "And focusing on maintaining a clear mind should not only be done as a Jedi or martial artist, but carry over into every aspect of their daily lives (school, job, extracurricular activities, etc)."

By disciplining themselves to focus they could achieve anything they desire.

Guiding principles is the third aspect of a Jedi. These codes of conduct keep the Jedi and martial artist on the right path in life's journey.

Larry said that in Charter of Moo Duk Kwan, the style he teaches, reverence for life is very important - much like the Jedi code. "Our charter is to protect even someone who is trying to harm us. A martial artist, just like a Jedi, is tasked with setting the example for others to follow. This way of life will help us travel a life to peace, harmony and happiness," he said.

After Larry's lesson, the participants were divided into two groups to begin their training in the different aspects of being a Jedi.

The final test for each padawan was to embark on a journey through a maze that tested the skills they learned during the evening session.

In the end, all the young padawans completed their assignments and became Jedi in training.

On Saturday, the group traveled to the movie theater to see "The Clone Wars" to reinforce what they had learned the night before and to help them on their journeys to becoming a Jedi master.

For more information about Shelton Martial Arts, call 410-672-2955, visit the school at 1202 Annapolis Road in Odenton or visit www.sheltonkarate.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ummmmmmmm

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

They have videos of the Jedi camp online:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxzeYM6Zn-k&feature=user
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

do i get a light saber?

ill do it if a get a light saber, or maybe ill go for a wookie sidekick.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

IF you can build one you can have one.

But first you will have to defeat George Lucas' lawyer in combat (his lawyer is a Rancor).
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Weak.

I wont go to a Jedi school that cant even supply a light saber!

I'll just feed his lawyer his daughter.

Jedi....

These groups of individuals show more Wu De than most Kung Fu schools. And 1 of the reasons for this is that they refuse to engage in the politics involved in MOST martial arts.
    They just want to share what they've learned and learn from one another. It's kinda weird that people who gather under the philosophy of a movie understand Wu De more than people who have trained under "Real" Grandmasters.

props to 'em
    Mr. T invented fools, then feeling bad about it, invented pity

http://www.cansfordan.com

http://www.fightfordan.com

Quote Originally Posted by ingchao View Post
    These groups of individuals show more Wu De than most Kung Fu schools. And 1 of the reasons for this is that they refuse to engage in the politics involved in MOST martial arts.
    They just want to share what they've learned and learn from one another. It's kinda weird that people who gather under the philosophy of a movie understand Wu De more than people who have trained under "Real" Grandmasters.

props to 'em
    I'm not sure what you're talking about here. The attempt to promote their karate school by, most likely, illegally using a Lucasfilm property and benefitting off it? How much do you think they charged for their unliscensed "Jedi Camp?" Pretty sure the term "Jedi" is trademarked.

That school isn't gathering under the philosophy of a movie, they are profitting off a movie franchise to promote their karate school. I don't think it has anything to do with wude.

Who wants a light saber then?
    http://www.parksabers.com/
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Jedi Gym !!

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

OHMYG!!! That was the funniest thing I have ever seen!!!

At first I thought this was some wierd Jedi academy group (Or temple of then Jedi or whatever it is they call themselves).

Then about halfway through I started thinking it was some sort of acting school doing a Star Wars segment.

Then I sprayed my keyboard with scrambled eggs and toast at the end!!! (note to self, make more breakfast)

That was hillarious. Good find SR.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Funny

I didn't believe that it was possible to find humor in something you didn't like but ****, that made me laugh.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Another Jedi Academy

We've covered Zombies! here too. We got it all for troubled forum members who are handicapped by ADHD or ADD; overweight forum members; gifted forum members who find themselves bored by regular classroom activities; and forum members who struggle with shyness
    Denver martial arts studio brings Jedi Academy to troubled youth
    August 3, 12:18 PMDenver Zombie Examiner Jessica d'Arbonne

Agoge Integrated Martial Arts, the Denver studio that brought us Zombie Defense Tactics and Zombie Survival 101, is presenting a new program called Jedi Academy to teach life skills and self reliance to troubled youth.

The Jedi Academy is designed to serve children who are handicapped by ADHD or ADD; overweight children; gifted children who find themselves bored by regular classroom activities; and children who struggle with shyness.

The program is intended to increase a child's self esteem, athleticism, and confidence, while giving them the motivation they need to achieve better grades in school. Children ages 5-15 and of all athletic abilities are welcome at the Jedi Academy. No martial arts experience is necessary, only a determination to have fun in this summer day-camp style atmosphere.

Like the Jedi Knights of George Lucas's films, students of the Jedi Academy will learn the Jedi code: "Jedi respect life, in all its forms. Jedi defend and protect themselves and others. Jedi strive to serve their community, in harmony with the Multiverse. Jedi seek to improve themselves through learning, training and teaching."

Instructor Brent Bingham is booking classes for the Jedi Academy this week. Check out the Agoge Integrated Martial Arts website for more details on the Jedi Academy, or click here to enroll.

Stay informed, stay alive: Instructor Brent Bingham of the Agoge Integrated Martial Arts also teaches Zombie Defense Tactics classes and Zombie Survival 101 to all would-be survivors of the zombie apocalypse. Visit AgogeWarrior.com for more details!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips