Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jedi Academies

Yet Another Jedi Academy!

Pardon my Huttese. I meant Jedi TEMPLE.
    Star Wars School In Chile Teaches Children Martial Arts
    By Adrian Carrasquillo
    Published March 11, 2011

This isn't a Jedi mind trick.

A Star Wars school called "The Jedi Temple" opened in Quilpué, Chile, to give children a unique way to study martial arts.

The school, which begins its second session on March 17th, is training 20 children between the ages of 6 and 12 years old and is split into a beginners and an advanced course, BBC Mundo reported.

Combining what it considers the values of the Jedi -- wisdom and nobility -- with yoga and tae kwon do, the school believes it is providing its children something valuable along with the fun and entertainment of living a dream.

In the classes, the children are given a chance to breathe life into a Star Wars' fandom (sometimes inherited from obsessed parents), by wielding light sabers made popular by Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, Vanguardia.com reported.

Related Links
    Snore Loudly? You’d Be a Winner in Spain

A genuine Star Wars experience is provided by "an exact replica light-saber, that has the sounds and the light reminiscent of the movies," William Berrueta, the creator of the school, told BBC Mundo.

The idea for "The Jedi Temple" was borne out of a visit to Chile by Star Wars: The Exhibition in March of 2009. It was the first time a display of props from the entire Star Wars series was made available for public viewing in Chile.

But not everyone is happy about the way of the Jedi being taught to precocious youngsters.

"You guys are completely and utterly stupid," a commentor named Sebastián wrote on the school's website. "What are you thinking making a school for Jedis? Do you have something wrong with your heads?"

But one thing is for sure. As long as adults are willing to teach the ways of the force, there will be children enthusiastically ready to learn.

Contact Adrian Carrasquillo at Adrian.Carrasquillo@foxnewslatino.com or on Twitter @RealAdrianC.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

If it gets a nation that is mostly obese out and active, how bad can it possibly be? So what if they think they are jedi, klingon, or whatever? You have kids having fun, getting exercise, interacting with one another, and developing friendships.

Only a completely over the top hardass would have a problem with that.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

do jedi's accept challenge matches?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I poached the posts above

This is poached off the Star Trek vs. Star Wars thread. It really stands on it's own now.

There are more pix if you follow the link. Needs some bumping EDM and I'd play...
    ‘Star Wars’ fans become Jedi padawans at light saber school
    Feb. 21, 2013 | 1:16 p.m.
    A group of San Francisco "Star Wars" fans called the Golden Gate Knights meet weekly for a light saber combat choreography class. Jim Collum, foreground, and other students work on their light saber skills. (Jeff Chiu / Associated Press)

If you ever watched “Star Wars” and longed to wield a light saber of your own, you’re not alone, young padawan. A San Francisco “Star Wars” fan has created a combat choreography class for the Jedi and Sith weapon.

The class is the brainchild of Alain Bloch, a 32-year-old software engineer with a lifelong love of George Lucas’ epic space opera.

“There are a lot of really awesome costuming groups in the Bay Area, but there was no one that was doing reenactments of the light saber battles that you find in movies, which I find to be some of the most exciting parts of them,” Bloch told Hero Complex. “So I went around and was actually looking for somebody who could possibly teach me how to do this sort of choreography.”

Golden Gate Knights instructor Alain Block demonstrates a move for his class. (Jeff Chiu / Associated Press)

Bloch found Matthew Carauddo, a fencing instructor and martial artist who works on stage choreography and teaches fencing in the Los Altos area, south of San Francisco. Carauddo was also a self-professed “Star Wars” geek and taught kids light saber choreography to supplement fencing, Bloch said. He trained Bloch, and then the pair founded Golden Gate Knights to bring more padawans into the Jedi order.

Two years later, the class meets weekly, with roughly 25 people (many in costume) slicing, jumping, spinning, parrying and meditating for three hours every Sunday. Classes cost $10 and are open to adults and teenagers accompanied by parents. Bloch refers children to Carauddo, who no longer teaches with Golden Gate Knights and runs his own classes in San Francisco’s South Bay area. For the last few sessions, Bloch said, he’s had to turn people away due to the space constraints of the dance studio where the group meets.

“We have people who have their own light sabers and really want to learn how to use them and look cool flourishing them around,” Bloch said. “We have people who are into film who want to learn how to do some choreography for their film projects. And we have just a lot of people who are interested in fun weekend activities who want to come out and do something interesting. We have a lot of people are into ‘Star Wars,’ or at least curious about ‘Star Wars.’ And we have a lot of people come out on fun dates.”

Part of the appeal, Bloch said, is in the weapon itself. In the “Star Wars” films, the light saber is a sort of laser sword wielded only by members of the Jedi order and their dark counterpart, the Sith. It is, as Obi-Wan Kenobi told Luke Skywalker in “A New Hope,” an “elegant weapon” as well as a symbol.

“The light saber is a very iconic element to ‘Star Wars,’” Bloch said. “It’s the sword. You see that in all sorts of stories and movies — it sort of represents this force of change. And there’s a virtuous element to the light saber; it’s made of light, and only those who are keen to the Force can wield it effectively. Since I was a kid, I wanted a light saber. It would be very symbolic of being a hero, in a sense. So a lot of people come to our class, and they kind of want to live out that childhood or maybe adulthood fantasy of being a Jedi knight, so our class is sort of a dream come true to them.”

The class has grown to the point that it’s self-sustaining, Bloch said, but he’s not going to be quitting his day job anytime soon.

“It’s just something I do on the side,” he said. “Only on the weekends I get to don my Jedi robes and feel the Force.”

For Los Angeles-based “Star Wars” fans who want to learn the ways of the Jedi, Bloch recommends classes held by the Saber Guild, or instructional DVDs (co-created by Carauddo and martial artist Mark Preader) for sale at www.sabercombat.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We should sith storm their temple.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    We should sith storm their temple.
    No can do. There are only ever 2 sith at a time. Master/student.

Kind of hard to storm anything with2 guys no matter how powerful they can shoot the electric boo boos out their hands.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

slightly OT

There are more images if you follow the link.

Martial Arts Lightsaber Paintings Slice Through the Dark
    BY JAKOB SCHILLER08.07.136:30 AM

In his new Light Painting KATA series, Patrick Rochon makes fluid designs by moving around in a martial arts-inspired dance while holding custom lightsaber flashlights.

“The process is definitely a performance,” says Rochon, who lives in Montreal. “The movement I use is a way for me to express my feelings. I was like, here is my energy translated into an art form.”

Kata is in the title because it’s a Japanese word that refers to the kind of repetitive training or choreography that happens in martial arts.

All the photos are made in a completely dark room. Rochon says he moves, often to music, until he thinks he’s finished. Each exposure is between one and five minutes, and he usually has to do several takes before he’s satisfied. Occasionally, he only needs one.

“Sometimes I get into a different state of mind, and before I look at the camera, I know it’s going to be good,” he says.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    No can do. There are only ever 2 sith at a time. Master/student.

Kind of hard to storm anything with2 guys no matter how powerful they can shoot the electric boo boos out their hands.
    Actually, there are periods during which Sith armies number in the tens of thousands. Count Dooku himself only agreed to join Sidious because he was promised he would be allowed to create his own standing Sith army to police the galaxy, as he felt the Jedi had become incompetent.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

DJ MK, this is the nerdiest debate on the forum...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lightsabers are TSA friendly

This is dated. I read it in one of those weird news 2013 in review articles. I'm delighted to know that TSA makes allowances for lightsabers.

Chewbacca's lightsaber triumphs over TSA
    By Katia Hetter, CNN
    updated 11:06 AM EDT, Tue June 11, 2013
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Chewbacca actor's lightsaber-themed cane received extra TSA inspection
    The TSA check took less than five minutes, the agency says
    The TSA allows toy lightsabers in carry-on and checked baggage, a spokesperson says

(CNN) -- May the force be with you, even in the airport.

We all know that's not always the case, especially when we're carrying something that raises concerns from the Transportation Security Administration.

The 7-foot-2-inch tall actor Peter Mayhew, best known for playing Chewbacca in the Star Wars movies, ran into a security line delay last week when he was stopped for his lightsaber inspired cane.

Mayhew, 69, was heading home from Denver Comic Con when his movie-inspired cane provoked a second look by TSA agents. Mayhew travels regularly to different conventions, meeting fans and tweeting photos. Next stop is London's Film and Comic Con in July.

Mayhew quickly took to his Twitter account to protest the inspection of his cane, and credits Twitter for its speedy release. He's seen in a Twitter photo sitting in a wheelchair, which he says he's also using because of a bum knee.

One Chewie tweet: "Magic words to TSA are not 'please' or 'thank you'.. It's 'Twitter'.. cane released to go home."

The cane was not detained, says the TSA, which e-mailed CNN.com this statement: "Because of the unusual weight of the passenger's cane, a security officer alerted a supervisor. Less than five minutes later, the passenger and cane were cleared to travel."

Peter Mayhew at Arclight Cinema on May 19, 2010, in Los Angeles.

A check of the TSA's "prohibited items" list revealed this information about lightsabers:

"Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real light saber. However, you can pack a toy light saber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you." (The TSA spells it "light saber.")

"Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane."

"Star Wars" fans had a field day on Twitter.

"@TheWookieeRoars @TSA Just learned Star Wars lesson #1: 'Let the Wookie Win,' " wrote astronomer Ray Sanders.

Wrote ‏@milapajamas: "Peter Mayhew @TheWookieeRoars was stopped by TSA cause he had a lightsaber. I guess it is a weapon after all, which means Star Wars is real."

Sometimes a cane is clearly more than a cane. It's an icon, a symbol of a movie that's a cultural touchstone. And sometimes, it's a storage unit for a knife. The TSA blog reports that a passenger at Washington Dulles Airport was surprised when TSA agents found her cane concealed a knife. She had recently bought it at an antique store.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Actually, there are periods during which Sith armies number in the tens of thousands. Count Dooku himself only agreed to join Sidious because he was promised he would be allowed to create his own standing Sith army to police the galaxy, as he felt the Jedi had become incompetent.
    How could not respond with this Old Republic video of the Sith storming the Jedi Temple?

How do you say 'jedi' in Italian?

Italian Jedi Get All The Best Lightsaber Schools
    Adam Gauntlett | 4 February 2014 11:51 am

Ever wanted to be a Jedi? Do you live in Milan, Rome, Turin, Genoa, Varese, Pesaro or Vercelli?

Yes, Lightsaber School is a real thing, but if you want to be part of it then I hope you live in Italy. Gaze upon the shiny that is LudoSport, an Italian school for aspiring Jedi Knights. The fighting style's a mix of medieval, Kendo and film-based techniques, and the sabers are as real as the students can manage without actually making something that could sever limbs.

"It helps distract me after a hard day's work," says student Valeria Ricciardi, "and also keeps me fit!" The sabers aren't cheap, at about 200 Euro ($270) a shot, but thankfully the only other gear you need is a sweatsuit, indoor sneakers and protective gloves. There's no choreography involved; the whole point is to create a working fighting technique, and if you're wondering what that looks like, take a gander at the Shadow Team.

The school's already got seven branches, including its head office in Milan, with more on the way.
    Official site for LudoSport
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Jedi Prisoner Accuses HMP Bosses Of Bigotry As They Refuse To Recognise His Faith
    Huffington Post UK | By Sara C Nelson Posted: 16/04/2014 11:13 BST | Updated: 16/04/2014 12:59 BST

Prison bosses have being accused of “religious bigotry” after refusing to recognise an inmate’s faith as Jedi.

In a letter published on Inside Time – the national newspaper for prisoners and detainees – the unnamed prisoner writes:

“I recently put in an application asking that I be allowed to practise my religion freely – I am a Jedi.

Yoda was one of the most renowned and powerful Jedi Masters in the Star Wars films

“The written reply said: ‘…whilst Jedi is a recognised religion according to the UK census, it is not recognised by the National Offender Management Service and we cannot change your religious record because of this’.”

The 2011 census says the total number of people classifying themselves as Jedi Knights in England and Wales was 176,632.

The Jedi prisoner, who is serving time at HMP Isis in Thamesmead, adds: “This is an example of the kind of intolerance and religious bigotry faced by members of our faith on a daily basis, both within the prison service and without.

“Jedis have been portrayed very negatively in the media since the tragic battle of Yavin IV, when Luke Skywalker and a group of left-wing militants targeted the Death Star in a terrorist attack, killing thousands of civilian personnel.

“Please withhold my name in the paper as I fear retaliation from the Dark Side. May the force be with you.”

The Star Wars-inspired religion is still the most selected "alternative" faith in the census, and is practised by 0.31per cent of all people in England and Wales.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said: "The National Offender Management Service does not recognise Jedi as an official religion."
    'fear retaliation from the Dark Side.' priceless.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Emilio brings it home

One more thing for me to chide Emilio on...
    May the (Wushu) Force be with you!

For many years, Wushu has been the martial art of choice for Hollywood’s top fight choreographers, been featured in many productions such as “THE MATRIX” and “STAR WARS” . In fact, Scottish actor Ray Park, best known for playing Sith Apprentice Darth Maul in Star Wars Episode I, was an accomplished international Wushu athlete himself.

Recently, Coach Emilio Alpanseque has been invited as a guest instructor to the Golden Gate Knights, a San Francisco Bay Area group that offers instruction in lightsaber choreography, to focus on teaching a special set of techniques derived from Wushu to enhance their current repertoire.

For more information about the group, please visit http://goldengateknights.com/

Coach Emilio having fun with the folks at the Golden Gate Knights

With Golden Gate Knights co-founder Alain Bloch

May the Force be with you!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I imagine this thread will heat up this year...

...what with the Force Awakens on the horizon.

There's a vid if you follow the link below.
    Martial arts dojo offers light saber classes for Star Wars fans
    10:33 PM, Apr 6, 2015
    10:33 PM, Apr 6, 2015

If preparing for a intergalatic war you are, then you might want to check out this martial arts dojo.

Beavens Martial Arts in Claremore offers classes on how to fight with weapons of the future: light sabers.

Master Beaven said he discovered the trend, which is growing in popularity in Italy, and decided to adopt his own version and teach it at his dojo.

"Jedis are martial artists. So who better to teach Jedi training then a martial artist?"

One Jedi apprentice, Jared Strain, has been taking the class for the past four months and loves it.

"Oh it's been a whole lot of fun so far especially with the sparring. I've really enjoyed it," said Strain, who is well on his way to schooling Jedi's such as Obi Wan.

While the path to becoming a Jedi seems fun, it's also a very difficult road to take. Those embarking on the journey seeking the power of the Force must be in peak physical condition and have strong mental focus if they are to succeed at eradicating dark forces with their skills.

The program does teach actual martial art disciplines, both trainers and apprentices appreciate the positive environment and fun that comes with it.

"I just like lighting the light sabers up and enjoying having fun. It's a relaxed environment. I bring my family in and they also do it so it's a good time," said Chip Sheppard, Jedi.

Darksiders beware: With all these soon to be Jedi in training you might think twice before messing around in Claremore.

The course last about nine weeks and cost about $70 a month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips