Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Morality in a teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    In the ancient world morality was distinctly separate from religion.
    Religion at its core has always been an attempt to learn the absolute truths of nature. Of course it is quickly destroyed by theology and dogma.

All the religions contain these seeds of truth and all of them fall foul to their own theology. But morality was always a key in their construction.

Aesops fables contain profound lessons about human nature. But were you to take his stories as fact then it would have serious consequences for your sanity. You perception of the world would be loosened by such misinformation and it would no longer be possible for you to separate right from wrong as you can't even separate fact from fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Religion at its core has always been an attempt to learn the absolute truths of nature. Of course it is quickly destroyed by theology and dogma.

All the religions contain these seeds of truth and all of them fall foul to their own theology. But morality was always a key in their construction.

Aesops fables contain profound lessons about human nature. But were you to take his stories as fact then it would have serious consequences for your sanity. You perception of the world would be loosened by such misinformation and it would no longer be possible for you to separate right from wrong as you can't even separate fact from fiction.
    This is not true. Only very few of the MAJOR religions involve morality. The Roman and Greek religions did not involve morality. Neither did the Egyptian, or most shamanic religions.

Aesops Fables was not connected to the Greek religion.

It is noteworthy that the ancient Hebrew religion was the first religion to connect God with morality!

I don't know about that. In the Western Tradition of the peoples of the book and Buddhism, morality and religion are connected, but not for most other religions.

In the ancient world morality was distinctly separate from religion.
    Yes, but notions of right and wrong were present I believe.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yes, but notions of right and wrong were present I believe.
    Ahh, I reviewed your comment and my response; I misread your statement. Where you said "civilization and religion go hand in hand" I read "religion and morality go hand in hand"

This is not true. Only very few of the MAJOR religions involve morality. The Roman and Greek religions did not involve morality. Neither did the Egyptian, or most shamanic religions.

Aesops Fables was not connected to the Greek religion.

It is noteworthy that the ancient Hebrew religion was the first religion to connect God with morality!
    But of course they did.

The Greek religions involved tales of the Gods and their human-like nature. They were as the fables, examples of the way people act and the consequences of acting in such a manner. They do not explicitly tell people what morals they should have. Rather they give the listener a story to contemplate through which morality is generated.

The gods themselves are manifestations of human nature and natural things. They serve as characters for the stories.

The method of using myth and legend to teach is arguably better than explicitly stating morals. It cause people to contemplate themselves since we never really learn what other people tell us, only what we realise ourselves. It is the WuWei method.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 03-05-2013 at 10:24 AM.

But also, mainly I said that religions contain Truth, not morality.

Religions evolve along with humans. They adapt to the times. In the most ancient times morality was not the truth we needed and the religions reflected the truth of the world around them and imparted useful advice.

Times have changed and now morality is far more central to the truth we need.

But of course they did.

The Greek religions involved tales of the Gods and their human-like nature. They were as the fables, examples of the way people act and the consequences of acting in such a manner. They do not explicitly tell people what morals they should have. Rather they give the listener a story to contemplate through which morality is generated.

The gods themselves are manifestations of human nature and natural things. They serve as characters for the stories.

The method of using myth and legend to teach is arguably better than explicitly stating morals. It cause people to contemplate themselves since we never really learn what other people tell us, only what we realise ourselves. It is the WuWei method.
    The mythological tales did not relate directly to the practice of their religion!

That was literature/drama, that is the secular aspect of their lives.

The mythological tales did not relate directly to the practice of their religion!

That was literature/drama, that is the secular aspect of their lives.
    But what practice?

The Gods all hated each other and to favour one was to scorn another. There are important lessons in this alone.

But the general practice of making tribute and sacrifice to the appropriate god is more interesting. It means people get together and focus their intent on a certain aspect of what they are doing. It is a reasonable practice.

Without the stories there is no religion. They would have evolved together.

But what practice?

The Gods all hated each other and to favour one was to scorn another. There are important lessons in this alone.

But the general practice of making tribute and sacrifice to the appropriate god is more interesting. It means people get together and focus their intent on a certain aspect of what they are doing. It is a reasonable practice.

Without the stories there is no religion. They would have evolved together.
    The religious practice was very simple. You respect the patron Gods of the city, participate in religious sacrifices and do not break the taboos! The taboos were not moral taboos by the way.

We must follow the Gods as an example of how to conduct our lives so that we might entertain them upon their lofty position over our realm. That is why we should look to the Odinson to learn how to drink, womanize, steal and fight.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    We must follow the Gods as an example of how to conduct our lives so that we might entertain them upon their lofty position over our realm. That is why we should look to the Odinson to learn how to drink, womanize, steal and fight.
    Yeah!! Its HAMMER TIME!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I personally think you guys going on about other cultures and ancient times etc are somewhat off base and losing the topic. You live where you live and you live under rule of law devised out of a shared social more.

Seriously? Going on about ancient religions as if they apply to you and you practice them?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I personally think you guys going on about other cultures and ancient times etc are somewhat off base and losing the topic. You live where you live and you live under rule of law devised out of a shared social more.

Seriously? Going on about ancient religions as if they apply to you and you practice them?
    *stops sacrificing virgin and hides knife*
    Yeah...you guys...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Better. Lucas, get off the 8 legged horse and put the stones down. the rest of you butt those torches out and return the pitchforks to the barn.
    Kung Fu is good for you.