Thread: stylistic ties

stylistic ties

been curious for a while now, is there any "relational connection" between bak mei, southern mantis, and wing chun. it appears possible--on sight--but is there anything to support the possibility? just curious. thanks.

Pak Mei, SPM, Mok Gar, and perhaps other styles seem to have a relation going back to southern white crane. They have captured some of the energy generation skills, with varied hand techniques.

Wing Chun is not from the same vein.

What you are seeing in common is southern Chinese short armed boxing. There are a core of hand techniques around this type of boxing. Some styles, like WC focus on these core boxing techniques and footwork, other styles have this and additional techniques with varied levels of athleticism. They have different strategic approaches to fighting as well.

Make sense?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

yes, thank you. makes sense...but. i'm not sure about wing chun not coming from white crane. i was away from my sifu for awhile. during this time i visited an instructor from another style. we did a series of power developement exercises from white crane--all movements(if made smaller) are found in wc(siu lim tao-2nd section, exactly).