What's your opinion on this?
    In Tong Bei;

We use open hand or palm to strike.

Palm side/face, palm back and side.

1 Pi

2. Tan

3. shuai

---

I never was a fan of the side kick. Never was good with it.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I never was a fan of the side kick. Never was good with it.
    Its a stop kick or a finisher.
    Once drove a guy through a wall with it, very cool but got reamed by management.
    Still, it stopped the group altercation before it got worse.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Straight punches.

Punch in straight lines. I guarantee you'll deliver more hits to the target when you do this.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you talk about "rear leg side kick", are you talking about spin back kick? If you have right leg forward, to spin to your left make sense. To spin to your right and side kick your back left leg just doesn't make sense to me. The longfist system also has that spin to the right back leg side kick. I have never used that in sparring. Your opponent can see that coming to easily.
    No, not a spinning kick. We fight out of a left-leg forward stance. So it's a Right Leg sidekick. Generally, it's my least favorite kick, but I just like them to train it for symmetry.

I do teach the spinning side kick, also, though.

I generally teach my students to use Lead Leg Push Kick, Lead Leg Sidekick, Rear Leg Roundhouse, and Rear Leg Spinning Back kick for the majority of their kicking attacks.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    No, not a spinning kick. We fight out of a left-leg forward stance. So it's a Right Leg sidekick. Generally, it's my least favorite kick, but I just like them to train it for symmetry.

I do teach the spinning side kick, also, though.

I generally teach my students to use Lead Leg Push Kick, Lead Leg Sidekick, Rear Leg Roundhouse, and Rear Leg Spinning Back kick for the majority of their kicking attacks.
    same. in addition, I also teach the switch kick.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

IMO, the hook kick is only good for point sparring.
    Horse donk. Lead hook kick is very powerful. Land it on the jaw and it's easy to drop someone. It's also a very unexpected kick. It gives the illusion you missed with a side kick.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Horse donk. Lead hook kick is very powerful. Land it on the jaw and it's easy to drop someone. It's also a very unexpected kick. It gives the illusion you missed with a side kick.
    I guess. I find it gimmicky. Some people can do a 'Brazilian' kick, too, but I wouldn't teach it to everyone.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its a stop kick or a finisher.
    Once drove a guy through a wall with it, very cool but got reamed by management.
    Still, it stopped the group altercation before it got worse.
    Right. I know how to use it. Its just something I never really liked. My buddy that trained in San da was brutal with it. He could sneak it in there before I knew it was coming. Which is one of the best parts about it.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    It can also be used to the leg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=1nC62kgsbWU#!

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I guess. I find it gimmicky. Some people can do a 'Brazilian' kick, too, but I wouldn't teach it to everyone.
    It's not for everyone. It takes longer to develop for some people and some have a hard time getting power with it. Others come more naturally to it and can really rock the pads/bags with it. I can tell you from experience though, a well placed lead hook will drop someone as fast as a high round kick.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    That was nice knee..

One of my senseis who fought Kyokushin worked a nasty spinning hook to the thigh...I never had much success with that technique myself though.

Blog Entries
    We fight out of a left-leg forward stance. So it's a Right Leg sidekick. Generally, it's my least favorite kick, but I just like them to train it for symmetry.
    I don't like to spend any more training time on that kick. The way that I look at it is, if I have never used it before, I probably will never use it for the rest of my life, why should I waste any of my valuable training in it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-26-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

a good hook kick can rock ur world: I once got nailed in the back of the head as I lunged in with a straight lead - guy leaned back and unloaded it, knocked my mouth piece out and when he asked me if I was ok, I replied, "yewth Im fwineth"...

its not about fancy new techniques and gimmicks, its about avoiding rythm, breaking rythm. once you start doing 1-2 1-2s your opponent will time it and set up a knockout. in northern kung fu rythm is number one forbidden habit.

thats why its so dangerous to fight muay thai guys by their own rules. once they get comfortable and set up rythm ur finished.
    Last edited by bawang; 02-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC