Thread: Do you teach form this way?

Blog Entries

Do you teach form this way?

A: Why did you teach him to do his "bow-arrow stance back arm horizontal punch" to punch 45 degree upward instead of parallel to the ground?
    B: Because he is short.

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/3836/punchz.jpg

Does this kind of teaching make sense? What's your opinion on this?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-26-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think the illustration is trying to represent a double punch starting from the extended left, retracting it and striking from the chambered position with the right.

The punch will rise out of the chamber at the waist to align with the shoulder.

Having said that, in early training it's one thing, but when using it in boxing, it's better to keep moving and keep your hands up. But this type of punch is a straight line punch which is as good a punch as any.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    When you train your form, do you "assume" where your opponent's head may be? Should a short person train his form differently than a tall person does?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-26-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Interesting question. But what I've noticed is that people train to the presumption of being average and adapt when they are presented with what they really are and they adapt again with each new experience.

This rolls back to drills more than form which is usually in my opinion a set of the gross movements required for a given technique.

Just like if we train resistance in a way that wouldn't be martially applicable without the adaptation to use the strength acquired in a dynamic environment. There are attempts to replicate that in devices with force feedback and use of particular muscle sets.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    A: Why did you teach him to do his "bow-arrow stance back arm horizontal punch" to punch 45 degree upward instead of parallel to the ground?
    B: Because he is short.

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/3836/punchz.jpg

Does this kind of teaching make sense? What's your opinion on this?
    I am not sure I am getting the question(s) here?

Why the stance?
    Why the punch?
    Why the punch at 45 degree angle?

Stance and drills of this type are attempts to capture movement in static form for the purpose of teacing... personally I think it is flawed but I can see where it comes from

People would be surprised our stance of choice is closer to Gung Bu than anything else ....

Punching off the rear side is a valid method, in fact an important one....

45 degrees? There are many jobs, differnt tools for each...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

John, my training is to always make it parallel, not because of an average fighter or whatever, but because it is the first step in getting a student to focus their punches with intent. Part of training spirit.
    Most often when students arms go flying high, low, right or left, its due to lack of discipline, focus and mindfulness of attack.

That being said, each fighter adapts to their own body type, their advantages and disadvantages when they start trying their gear against a resisting opponent, but they should have spirit and focus when them move to that stage, IMHO.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

adapt, if your short you must have a slight up ward angle if your tall well. the oppostie..and depends on where your target is heqad rib bladder. etc etc ths pic is obviously a basic illustration of a straight punch from a bo and arrow stance. basic structure for new student
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."