Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I think really happened!

What I think really happened!

It's my opinion, so it's true!

I think the original tough guy Chinese boxers used to really fight and they developed a core body of techniques. These techniques exist in all styles today.

But they got to start hanging out - one of them strings a couple of their sequences together and the others thought, "man that's cool". So not to be one-upped, they strung together a more complex sequence to use to showoff with and added a little flair. Over time, these sequences took on a new unintended meaning. Eventually the dancing, flair, and showing off started to replace the fighting as a means to display real skill. People started to attribute too much to them and started inventing all kinds of terms and mysticism to associate with them like fa-jing, yi, li and really believed that forms meant skill.

It's true that a couple of forms are good for creating a base in an uncoordinated and out of shape individual, they aren't good for teaching fighting because they were never intended for that.

They were intended to be much like this:

Forms were simply the way the styles techniques were "cataloged" and able ot be trained solo.
    Some were development forms too of course,like Sanchin ( Sanjian,etc...) and others developed specific attributes ( like forms with only kicks) but on a whole, they were a small part of practical MA training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Forms were simply the way the styles techniques were "cataloged" and able ot be trained solo.
    Some were development forms too of course,like Sanchin ( Sanjian,etc...) and others developed specific attributes ( like forms with only kicks) but on a whole, they were a small part of practical MA training.
    Nope - showing off!

Oh come on. At least show a gif of something that takes longer than 30 minutes to learn. That's some first day shit right there. Seriously. Every first class I have ever taught was pretty much that.

This is how its done:

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Oh come on. At least show a gif of something that takes longer than 30 minutes to learn. That's some first day shit right there. Seriously. Every first class I have ever taught was pretty much that.
    Step up! Bring on the gifs!

Hey that's Krotty!!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

B Boy & Krotty posts....

what have we become?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    B Boy & Krotty posts....

what have we become?
    Interesting.