Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Knuckle Conditioning?

phantom Guest
    I think there are a fiar number of reasons against conditioning your knuckles. First of all, you could wind up in legal trouble as this would automatically make your punches more deadly. Second, although having enlarged knuckles can enable you to hit harder, it could hurt your grabbling ability, which can make you a worse fighter. In some situations, grappling is the only viable option available to you. Also, many internal styles usually favor the palm over the fist. You can cause more damage with a palm than a fist, and you can control the amount of force that you generate in a palm. Please keep in mind that when knuckle conditioning started to become popular, people had to worry about being attacked by people wearing armour, so they conditioned their knuckles in order to break through the armour. Today, what are your chances of being attacked by someone wearing armour? Think about it.

dan downard Guest
    I just finished reading about the 500 and 100 man kumite that Mas Oyama used to require from his students to acuire 5th dan.500 fights without stopping in between and all fights are 2 mins long.You had to defeat over 50%.I can just imagine how ones hands would feel after just 10 fights with what I consider soft hands.I know I am not going to change many peoples minds,but it gives you something to think about.

Buk Sing CLF Guest
    For serious, long term hardening of the hands, fore arms or other body parts I strongly recommend using 'dit da jow'.

Applied before and, more importantly, after conditioning helps prevent any potential injuries that might occur later in life.

I'm not fully up on how it actually works but in an 'Iron Palm' regime it is essential.

In BSCLF we practise 'Iron Palm' training as Kue Ye Chern was a major influence on Tarm Sarm, the founder of the art.

Punching a sand bag is commonly used to get your hands ready for real 'Iron Palm' training, same for push-ups.

We use a hard, flat leather bag full of blue metal lying on a bar-stool type of stand. From a horse stance we smash our hands into it in a sequence that covers all sides of the hand. This done every day for just 5 minutes per hand makes them like rock. After years, they are like steel and are extremely dangerous. I have seen many people do this and when using dit da jow they have only minor markings on their hands.

But, like I said, your hands become lethal weapons. Before anyone practices 'Iron Palm' they must ask themselves - "Why do I want to do this?" What is your real reason? Would it be easier to buy a gun or knife?

Food for thought!

Buk Sing CLF Guest
    Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, it is extremely preferable to be shown by a sifu or some one who has done it before rather than learn from a book or video.

[This message has been edited by Buk Sing CLF (edited 09-07-2000).]